Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk

Car Talk (Page 15)
mindwaves
Jun 19, 2018, 09:54 AM

Thinking of buying a new car. Previous car was a Civic and current car is a CR-V. I live and work abroad, so I don't have access to my CR-V. Want to buy a car here. Choices here are pretty much the same in the US.

Requirements/desires:
1) 4 doors
2) more upscale/premium type of car than my last 2 cars, but doesn't need to be BMW/Audi type
3) female appeal (means females see it and think more highly of me)
4) $30,000-$45,000 USD
5) not a dead-end car like Lexus IS/GS (Lexus may be phasing them out)

I'm thinking of Subaru Forester, VW Golf (maybe?), Lexus ES. Any suggestions? I would buy an Equus G70 (money notwithstanding), but they don't sell them here.

Thorzdad
Jun 19, 2018, 11:29 AM

The Equus is the Genesis here in the states.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Thinking of buying a new car. Previous car was a Civic and current car is a CR-V. I live and work abroad, so I don't have access to my CR-V. Want to buy a car here. Choices here are pretty much the same in the US.

Requirements/desires:
1) 4 doors
2) more upscale/premium type of car than my last 2 cars, but doesn't need to be BMW/Audi type
4) $30,000-$45,000 USD

I'm thinking of Subaru Forester, VW Golf (maybe?), Lexus ES. Any suggestions? I would buy an Equus G70 (money notwithstanding), but they don't sell them here.
I guess it depends on where you live?

Your potential choices are all over the place: a compact SUV that is more downmarket than a current model CR-V; a compact hatch; or a midsize luxury sedan? The only thing you’re missing is a two-seater convertible....or a pickup. . My recommendation would be to figure out what kind of vehicle you actually want first, and that happens by going to a dealership and taking some for a drive.

I said this before - the newest CR-V is super nice and quite luxurious compared to previous generations. I know there’s a new Acura RDX just out that’s supposed to be pretty nice if you want more luxury within the Honda brand, but I don’t know much about it.

But yeah - every manufacturer makes these types of vehicles. You need to drive them to see which one you like best.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 19, 2018, 04:33 PM

That's not a thing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2018, 05:04 PM

Outback
Wrangler
F-150

mindwaves
Jun 19, 2018, 05:51 PM

That is true that my choices are all over the place. My CR-V is just an EX model (cloth seats, cheap touchscreen) and I was thinking that I can buy a more loaded Golf/Forester model. The Golf has limited appeal so that is out.

When I meant female appeal, perhaps I should have said "looks like has a bit of money" appeal instead. Please no criticizing. I'm open to suggestions besides the F-150 and Wrangler suggestions (no trucks and SUVs like that).

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2018, 08:59 PM

Finally replaced my trusty Peugeot with an old 2005 X-Type Jag. I rather like it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2018, 10:06 PM

At the end of the day, it comes down to what your priorities are and how you use and drive your car.

Do you need or want: AWD? Storage space? Passenger space? Head/body space? Do you particularly care about on- or off-road performance or driving capabilities? Fuel economy? CarPlay or Android Auto? Do you like to sit higher in the vehicle or like the low car feel better? And unfortunately it’s tough to figure this out...it’s mostly about just going and driving different vehicles.

For example, my wife was coming from a Forester - the newer (2017+) CR-V definitely feels much more luxurious in the top trim with leather, but she wanted something a bit smaller for big-city driving. I tried to get her into a newer Civic Hatchback which I think is both awesome and functional, but she didn’t like the low-slung seating in the newer Civics. At some point she jumped in the Honda Fit when we were at the dealership and absolutely fell in love with it - we got the top trim with leather etc. and she swears she won’t be getting anything else: it’s a small hatchback with higher seating and shockingly large interior space. Steering is too light for my tastes but it’s hilariously fun to zip around the city in “sport” mode.

All that to say that actually driving a bunch of cars is by far the best way to figure out what you really want. It’s really like choosing a house; just specs and pictures don’t tell you the entire story, how it will “fit” when you sit inside.

mindwaves
Jun 19, 2018, 10:36 PM

No need for AWD, storage space is good, but no real requirements. Passenger space is just four door car. No off road performance needed/necessary, good fuel economy is a plus, but definitely not a deal breaker. Infotainment is whatever but having CarPlay is nice. Don't want too high as I already feel my CR-V is a bit too high. Just want a four door, semi-premium car with decent space/utility.

I do like this Mazda 6 wagon. It has similar appeal as my CR-V, Forester, and Golf choices.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2018, 11:35 PM

Volvo V60 maybe?

OreoCookie
Jun 20, 2018, 04:08 AM

I like the Mazda 6, especially as a wagon. It looks much more futuristic than the alternatives.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2018, 10:22 AM

Yeah the Mazda 6 is super fun to drive.....that wagon looks pretty cool, too bad they can’t seem to make it for the NA market. You must be in Europe?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 20, 2018, 11:15 AM

When I meant female appeal, perhaps I should have said "looks like has a bit of money" appeal instead.
Get the cheapest lease on a German brand. Dumb people think that means you're rich. You can get a CLA (the Mercedes for poor people that want to look rich) for $220/month, bec sure you get the giant light-up Mercedes emblem on front so that bitches will go nuts even at night.

You can get an X1 for $320/month, still less than a payment on a Chevy Sonic.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2018, 05:16 PM

I like the CL-class Mercs but good god is that light up emblem tacky as hell.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2018, 10:22 AM

The rumor I keep hearing (though I can't find a source on it) is that the take rate for the light up emblem on the cheap-ass aspirational $220/month lease CLA is ~80%, while the take rate on the "old money" $100k+ S-Class is under 10%.

mindwaves
Jun 22, 2018, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Volvo V60 maybe?
The new Volvo V60 is certainly nice, but maybe a bit too pricey. Definitely like wagons. The Mercedes C coupe is nice, but I am adamant on four doors. No plans to buy now, just getting ideas. I suppose the Mazda 6 wagon and Forester are my top choices.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2018, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I like the CL-class Mercs but good god is that light up emblem tacky as hell.
It appeals to my inner 12-year-old, though.

Like ground effects.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2018, 03:05 PM

The new Civic would be perfect for you then!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2018, 03:35 PM

It should be, but it isn’t.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2018, 11:35 PM

I just saw the lighted medallion. It looks super-cheesy.

The problem isn’t the concept, but that the light is:

1) Too dark
2) Unevenly lit
3) Wrong color temp

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2018, 11:06 PM

The new Volvo V60 is certainly nice, but maybe a bit too pricey. Definitely like wagons. The Mercedes C coupe is nice, but I am adamant on four doors. No plans to buy now, just getting ideas. I suppose the Mazda 6 wagon and Forester are my top choices.
You still haven’t really explained why the Forester is a top choice. It’s very similar to a CR-V, except...not as nice. (Unless you need slightly higher ground clearance for off-roading or heavy snow. Or a manual tranny.)

So why would you prefer the Forester?

mindwaves
Jun 26, 2018, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
You still haven’t really explained why the Forester is a top choice. It’s very similar to a CR-V, except...not as nice. (Unless you need slightly higher ground clearance for off-roading or heavy snow. Or a manual tranny.)

So why would you prefer the Forester?
If I would get a Forester, it would be the loaded model. I have a basic CR-V EX. I like how the Forester rides high, but it isn't too high up. It looks a bit better too and maybe is a bit sportier? Although it is not on my list, what do you think of the Mercedes GLC (not to be confused with the GLE (nicknamed by Jason Cammista of Motor Trends as uGLE)?

( Last edited by mindwaves; Jun 26, 2018 at 11:13 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2018, 07:01 PM

Just random car talk...

There’s a Mazda3 that’s been parked outside my place for awhile, directly in my field of view when I’m outside for a smoke.

In terms of styling on that class of car, they really frigging nailed it.

mindwaves
Jun 26, 2018, 09:47 PM

Mazda has been making very good looking cars for quite some time, but the newer models are even better. It goes for the 3, 6, and 9 series also. I am not too fond of their 3 wagon though. The back is ugly, but not as ugly as the new Civic hatchback.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2018, 10:54 PM

If I would get a Forester, it would be the loaded model. I have a basic CR-V EX. I like how the Forester rides high, but it isn't too high up. It looks a bit better too and maybe is a bit sportier? Although it is not on my list, what do you think of the Mercedes GLC (not to be confused with the GLE (nicknamed by Jason Cammista of Motor Trends as uGLE)?
What year is your CR-V? They remade it for 2017 - it is a huge upgrade. The new version is significantly better than the Forester IMO, unless you want the bigger engine option in the Subaru. (I just personally don’t like the Subaru CVT nearly as much.)

I kind of like the open-mouth front ends on the latest Mazdas, although I know some people who hate it. But I also love the Civic Hatchback, so...

mindwaves
Jun 26, 2018, 11:16 PM

I have a 2015 model, the model that receive a rather large refresh with the front and back facias changed a bit and a completely new (CVT) engine with a new center console complete with no button volume controls! Indeed the 2017 models are better, but I am a bit angry at having the vibration issues at idle still. The entire car shakes when at idle (such as waiting at a stoplight). Honda tried to fix it, but it doesn't work me and many other people. Turning on the air conditioning increases pressure on the engine and the car doesn't vibrate anymore. That is the only solution.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Just random car talk...

There’s a Mazda3 that’s been parked outside my place for awhile, directly in my field of view when I’m outside for a smoke.

In terms of styling on that class of car, they really frigging nailed it.
I don't like the new 3, I think it's squinty-eyed and oddly proportioned. The 6 is fantastic, though, and I would have bought one had Mazda been making a fast version at the time.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2018, 04:05 PM

I think it’s a couple years old.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2018, 05:10 PM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2018, 05:18 PM

Ew.

I definitely like this one more.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2018, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Thats the new 3? It looks like a beached whale.

mindwaves
Jun 27, 2018, 07:44 PM

That’s the 2018 Mazda 6 sedan, a super good looking car. I would rank it the best looking sedan higher than the typical Honda Accord with its Neanderthal forehead and Camry with its alien grill.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2018, 08:08 PM

Kia Optima beats it hands down

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2018, 09:29 PM

I really like the 6. Drives great as well.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Kia Optima beats it hands down
This?

The designers called it "Generic Asian Sedan 2009 Edition" and released it as a 2018 model.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2018, 03:36 PM

Haven’t kept up with the redesign but the last model is a very slick car from any angle, that photo of the 6 makes it look like a regular 6 is wearing a fat suit.

mindwaves
Jun 28, 2018, 10:34 PM

That Kia Optima is ugly. I'm sure it is a fine car, but it is just ugly. For most Kia cars, I think people are better off buying the Hyundai branded version instead.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2018, 09:17 AM

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2018, 03:03 PM

Requirements/desires:
1) 4 doors
4) $30,000-$45,000 USD
Well, that was easy enough ...

mindwaves
Jul 2, 2018, 06:50 PM

That has to be one of the dumbest designs ever. Why would I want a giant triangle as a grill? It is merely a design element, and a bad one at that. It greatly inhibits air flow to the engine and with a high performance engine like that, it needs all of the air it can get. No wonder why AR cars have such poor reliability. If it weren't for its sporty nature and brand heritage, this car would be ridiculed.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2018, 10:27 AM

It greatly inhibits air flow to the engine and with a high performance engine like that, it needs all of the air it can get.
Yes, that's how that works.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2018, 02:45 PM

Alfas are adorbs.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2018, 09:29 PM

I have a 2015 model, the model that receive a rather large refresh with the front and back facias changed a bit and a completely new (CVT) engine with a new center console complete with no button volume controls! Indeed the 2017 models are better, but I am a bit angry at having the vibration issues at idle still. The entire car shakes when at idle (such as waiting at a stoplight). Honda tried to fix it, but it doesn't work me and many other people. Turning on the air conditioning increases pressure on the engine and the car doesn't vibrate anymore. That is the only solution.
Yeah my uncle had a 2015......never noticed any shaking issues as far as I’m aware though, but I’ve heard that some people don’t like the lower rpms that Honda used (for fuel consumption I guess?). That model was a minor refresh, though - the 2017 version is a full revamp. Again, having ridden and driven both relatively recently, I’d definitely recommend you do so before going with the Subie - unless you really want more ground clearance or the bigger engine option in the XT. I leased a 2015 Forester for a couple years and I like Subarus as a general rule, but the CRV definitely feels like a more upmarket model for sure.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2018, 01:02 PM

Renting a Crosstrek today... will report back.

I assume I’ll like it better than a Fit, which was the same price.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2018, 05:15 PM

Does well in the “pickup slamming you in the ass and fleeing the scene” test.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2018, 07:11 PM

Less so in the “sudden deluge, make the wipers work” test.

Throttle’s kinda light, too. I like a pedal which needs some weight behind it. The brake is also uncomfortably high.

I like it overall though. Decent pickup.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2018, 08:29 AM

Said deluge.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2018, 09:32 AM

I like it overall though. Decent pickup.
Really? Everything I've seen complains about how gutless it is. After all of the losses through the automatic trans and AWD system it barely gets 100hp to the ground.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2018, 05:04 PM

Compared to my van.

I’ll admit, after the accident I didn’t feel like pushing it. I’ll say the pickup is “acceptable for basic transportation”.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 4, 2018, 05:21 PM

I’ll admit, after the accident I didn’t feel like pushing it.
I think I missed something. Did the van survive? Was the perp caught?

Forum Links
Forum Rules