Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best way to "swap" machines?

Best way to "swap" machines?
JCT
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2006, 10:20 AM

Hi guys,

Quick question. I have a Sawtooth working as a mediaserver -- uograded to 1 Ghz with a Sonnet CPU, and has 3 HDD (One ATA and two SATA via a Firmtek card). This machine is running great (I keep it stripped down software-wise). As it turns out, I have to take it to work to donate to one of my students, so I managed to grab an inexpensive Digital Audio to take its place.

I have a separate HDD to donate to the Sawtooth and thus will be transferring all 3 HDD to the DA.

I really want this machine to run as well as its predecessor, so how should I go about swapping?

1. Clone/Copy the boot drive to a FW drive (I have SuperDuper)
2. Move all 3 drives to the DA
3. Perform an erase/install on the old boot drive
4. Attach the FW drive with the cloned original boot and move settings/apps over with the Migration Asst?

Is this the way to go, or does anyone have a better idea?

BTW, for some reason, the DA is listing my PC133 memory as PC100 in the System Profiler. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks in advance,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 11, 2006, 10:48 AM

Just move all the drives to the "new" Mac and turn it on.
No crazy process needed.
Assuming that you're running some form of OS X on the Sawtooth, make sure the firmware is up to date in the DA and you'll have no trouble.
The memory speed issue is just an error reporting from System Profiler. You'll also note that in OS X, System Profiler reports 4 RAM slots on the DA and there are only 3 physical slots. That too is normal, though the speed should be reported correctly there.

JCT  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2006, 04:56 PM

Really?

Certainly is easier... you can tell I come from a PC building background where that approach is absolutely verboten.

Thanks,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

Forum Links
Forum Rules