Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro, Jet Engine Mode...

Macbook Pro, Jet Engine Mode...
inkhead
Senior User
Mar 11, 2006, 03:40 PM

I wanted to point out Macbook Pros do indeed support standard PC style "Jet Engine" Mode with the fans. I've used my macbook pro for well over a week and heard the fans kick on several times but they were extremely quiet. I figured that was as loud as they get. Not true

The Fans have the ability to go full "jet engine" and even sound like it when the quiet down, they do so slowly and fade down like a jet engine... The way I made it kick on was running Unreal 2004, and 4 other games and photoshop at the same time...., while the powerbook sat on a blanket. It goes crazy loud fans. I guess this is a good thing, incase it's needed (which it was in this case)

It was crazy loud! You probably won't ever hear them unless you do something to "test" them. Trust me you will KNOW when you turned them on full bore, I could hear it above the TV and the heater fan blowing air (my house heater!)

cool i guess... but the machine is super quiet 99999.99% of the time.

silverbullet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 06:21 PM

haha I know EXACTLY what you're refering to, i think its funny
I keep expecting my MBP to start to liftoff

I get it when I rip/encode a dvd (that i own of course)

JCT
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2006, 06:37 PM

Hah! You guys haven't heard anything until you've had to sit near my wretched Voodoo M460 laptop --- had to stop using it in meetings because it annoyed people!

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 08:02 PM

Assuming the MBPs work the same way as the PowerBooks, you can accomplish that without roasting your computer by booting into Target Disk Mode (hold down 'T' while you boot up). Since the fans are controlled by software that doesn't load in TDM, they default to full blast.

"I start fires!"

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Mar 15, 2006, 03:37 AM

It's different than the powerbook. I did this trick and the macbook pro fan is at least 5x louder! It's crazy! It hardly goes into that. I had to put it on a blanket and do all sorts of stuff to make it hit this mode, It's only ever done it once in the entire month.

Super Mario
Mar 15, 2006, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
Assuming the MBPs work the same way as the PowerBooks, you can accomplish that without roasting your computer by booting into Target Disk Mode (hold down 'T' while you boot up). Since the fans are controlled by software that doesn't load in TDM, they default to full blast.
I love it. My PowerBook sounds like I'm sitting on a 747 when I boot in TDM. Thing is mind automatically blocks the sound out if you're busy working or have TV on in the background.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:12 PM. )

petertruong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 03:45 AM

I have experienced Jet engine mode, try going to www.nba.com and wait a while. we have lift off

Forum Links
Forum Rules