Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IMAP Gmail on Mail

IMAP Gmail on Mail
Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2008, 11:29 PM

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if I configure Mail to get my email using IMAP all the email messages are going to download to my hard drive. I have more than a gig on my Gmail account and wouldn't like for all those messages to be stored on my Mac.

Thanks in advanced,
Hg+

frdmfghtr
Senior User
May 13, 2008, 12:39 AM

I'm using IMAP GMail with Mail and yes, they will all download to your Mac if you set Mail to do so.

In Mail-Preferences-Accounts-Advanced there is a setting for offline messages: "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing:" with a pulldown menu. Select "Don't keep copies of any messages."

I don't like to do this; I have mine set to download everything so I have them in case I need to look up something and don't have an Internet connection handy. Once you are caught up with your mail (GMail will only send about 200-300 messages per check so it will take several checks to get them all) checking and downloading doesn't take too long.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2008, 12:52 AM

For a gig worth of email, it may not be smart to use OS X Mail at all - it's insufferably slow with large mailboxes.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 13, 2008, 02:08 AM

I just checked, I have over a gig in gmail, about 3000+ messages in my inbox on my Mac, the whole thing downloads. I have no problem using OS X's mail client, aside from the ugly buttons I love it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2008, 02:12 AM

Maybe the bottleneck is not in mailbox size, but in quantity of messages.. I have over 20,000 messages.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2008, 10:19 AM

I configured Mail to be use IMAP. The only thing that bugs me is that it doesn't work on my school's internet.

Anyways, thanks to you all.

Cold Warrior
May 15, 2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
I configured Mail to be use IMAP. The only thing that bugs me is that it doesn't work on my school's internet.

Anyways, thanks to you all.
Your school's firewall is probably blocking the IMAP ports. If you have a way to VPN out of their network (you'd need to find just one port open), then it'd work.

Blocking IMAP and a lot of other stuff is common on super locked-down networks with inflexible network admins who take a fire hose approach to security.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2008, 12:30 PM

The only reason I considered using Mail was because of a problem on my school's network. Sometimes if you log in to deviantART, Gmail, etc. and someone else enters the page, they are logged as you. Can that be that my school has a cache server or something?

Cold Warrior
May 15, 2008, 12:39 PM

If they're using the same computer with the same web browser, then it's possible that the cookies aren't clearing properly (assuming you log out and don't just close the browser window).

Otherwise, there's no reason a different user on a different computer should be getting access to another's Gmail webmail.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2008, 06:46 PM

So how can they fix that problem?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2008, 08:57 PM

Make sure the last user logs out of the web app. If the web app is properly designed it should destroy session information.

Forum Links
Forum Rules