Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help "Borrowing" My Neighbors Internet Connection....

Help "Borrowing" My Neighbors Internet Connection....
mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 01:15 AM

I wouldnt generally be the type to "Borrow" internet access from someone elses base station but im desperate; i just moved and cant get ANYTHING in my area. Somehow one of my neighbors has a good connection with a WiFi Base station.

As you can see I want to be able to conenct to the internet with his conenction. Now i have a Base Station and i would like to use that to connect [as i have 2 wireless computers that are floating around]

I have heard of people talking about wireless repeaters, but i am not sure how to get it to work. Anyone know how to get this to work
[if it makes it any better , i plan on helping my neighbor with the DSL bill if i can get this to work!]

passmaster16
Senior User
Dec 9, 2002, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by mrfoxxman:
I wouldnt generally be the type to "Borrow" internet access from someone elses base station but im desperate; i just moved and cant get ANYTHING in my area. Somehow one of my neighbors has a good connection with a WiFi Base station.

As you can see I want to be able to conenct to the internet with his conenction. Now i have a Base Station and i would like to use that to connect [as i have 2 wireless computers that are floating around]

I have heard of people talking about wireless repeaters, but i am not sure how to get it to work. Anyone know how to get this to work
[if it makes it any better , i plan on helping my neighbor with the DSL bill if i can get this to work!]
The ability to do this is mainly based on the range you are from your neighbor. Sometimes if you're_close_enough, you can do this just by using the base stations alone. But more likely, you'll need to add directional antennas to the base stations and have a clear line of sight. You would use his and your base stations to bridge the network. There are many choices as far as antennas. Some can get fairly expensive but some could be made very cheap by using household items.

Check out this site for some more info on using wireless to bridge networks. They did some tests to see which antennas performed the best. http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html#intro

Camelot
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 06:01 AM

Apple's base stations do NOT support bridging of wireless connections - that is, you can NOT use it to bridge to another wireless network.

Some vendors' base stations (e.g. Cisco's Aironet) do, but Apple's don't.

Why don't you talk to your neighbor and find out how he's connecting. I can't see why he can get online and you can't.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

mrfoxxman  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 06:37 PM

Verizon said something about me being out of range of the PO, and also something to do with the fact that I am in appartments to be the reason why it is 'unavailable'

How doesthe Cisco [or other brand] work to bridge the network. I know that there are ways to get it done, i just want some advice on HOW to do it!

Thanks....

passmaster16
Senior User
Dec 9, 2002, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by mrfoxxman:
Verizon said something about me being out of range of the PO, and also something to do with the fact that I am in appartments to be the reason why it is 'unavailable'

How doesthe Cisco [or other brand] work to bridge the network. I know that there are ways to get it done, i just want some advice on HOW to do it!

Thanks....
As far as I know, *most* modern base stations support bridging. I can't speak for the airport cause frankly I think it's way overpriced for its functionality so I've never really researched it.

If you're looking for more information this book would probably help: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wirelesscommnet/toc.html

Some linksys specific info: http://www.consume.net/mhonarc/thenet/msg02367.html

More Linksys: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wire...4/linksys.html

Linksys on slashdot:
http://slashdot.org/articles/01/08/27/0138253.shtml

Hopefully some of this will help.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 9, 2002, 10:59 PM

I don't get it. If he can order and pay for net access why can't you? You live right next to one another right?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 10, 2002, 10:25 PM

Depending on how they're connected to the main phone cable, apartments can be a problem for DSL. Not an insurmountable challenge, but definately a problem.

If you're on the edge of the coverage area for your Central Office (CO), anything that's a problem will kill the connection, and there's nothing you or Verizon can do about it.

But come on! You can't get high speed cable in Pittsburg? Verizon should be fighting to keep you from the clutches of Road Runner!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2002, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
Depending on how they're connected to the main phone cable, apartments can be a problem for DSL. Not an insurmountable challenge, but definately a problem.

If you're on the edge of the coverage area for your Central Office (CO), anything that's a problem will kill the connection, and there's nothing you or Verizon can do about it.
They live right next door. I think he just doesn't want to pay for net access if he can steal it for free.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

mrfoxxman  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:

They live right next door. I think he just doesn't want to pay for net access if he can steal it for free.
No Really.....For some reason my appartment complex is like a dead zone for broadband...i have called verizon and my cable company like 100 times trying to get them to install some sort of fast conenction.... i just cant stand not having a decent connection to game with......

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Dec 11, 2002, 03:55 PM

That doesn't make much sense, did you try to get both cable and DSL?

mrfoxxman  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2002, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by Yoda's Erotic Piggyback:
That doesn't make much sense, did you try to get both cable and DSL?
Yup....Verizon even came out to "TEST" my line, and then said....oh by the way you dont qualify!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2002, 12:22 PM

Just because you're next door doesn't mean that your apartment complex and your neighbor are on the same telephone cable. Your neighbor could be on a brand new cable that can handle the requirements of DSL, while your apartment complex may be on a completely different cable that's been in the ground for thirty years. Further, your complex could be served by Central Office "A" that's four or five miles off in one direction, while your neighbor could be served by Central Office "B" that's only a mile away in a different direction.

Go here to see if there's another provider for your area, how close your CO really is, and lots more.

A DSL signal is sensitive to a lot of different problems. The customer can deal with some problems, but a lot of them are in the hands of the telephone company and the DSL provider. It is still, unfortunately, a seller's market because the infrastructure isn't as well fielded as it could be.

A final note: have you considered satellite broadband?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules