Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > expired certificate in mail

expired certificate in mail
mazatty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 03:23 AM

after upgrading to 10.3 (panther), Mail has been telling me that the ssl certificate for my mail server is expired. the certificate that Mail says that it is getting expired last march, why didn't this come up earlier if that is the case?

i have searched my entire harddrive and found nothing, like a certificate cache or something certificate related containing my mail server name.

when i upgraded, i did a clean install and copied some of my old library to my new home directory, including my mail preferences and mail folder (~/Library/Mail). i didn't move my old cache folder or keychain.

when i securely connect to the same server with safari i don't get any warnings.

is there a way to see the current certificate in safari?

so, does anyone have any ideas? i would really like to use Mail to securely check my mail again. thanks.

mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 06:08 PM

Check the application "Keychain Access" It is located in Your /Applications/Utilities/ folder on your hard drive. All mail certificates are stored there.

You should be able to change your "trust" settings to allow it to work even though its experied if you wish.

mazatty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 11:37 AM

i checked keychain access and didn't see any certificates for my mail server. also i didn't move my keychain when i upgraded.

i do not want to change my "trust" setting, even if it is possible. i checked with my sys admin and the certificate that i am getting isn't the right one (finger prints don't match), even with mangled dates or something. so i don't really want to use this certificate. i want to know that the certificate for my mail server is the right one, other wise there really is no point in using a cert.

Forum Links
Forum Rules