Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple Firewall Unavailable?

Apple Firewall Unavailable?
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 09:22 PM

Ok,
So I start up my Mac, go to system preferences, go to sharing preference then click on "Firewall." Suddenly, a pop-up window appears saying that I have another firewall app running and it advises me to disable the 3rd party firewall. The button to turn on the firewall is greyed and over it it reads "Firewall Unavailable." I then go to the terminal and run sudo ipfw flush command. I return to the sharing preference and then click on the firewall tab and what do you know, it is available for me to activate and use. I have to do this every time I restart. I do not have another 3rd party firewall app, and it has been a bugger of a challenge finding what is F 'ing with the Apple installed firewall rules. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated my Mac brethren. Thanks.
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 10:23 PM

What's in your /Library/Startup Items folders?
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 12:05 AM

I currently have these items in my /Library/Startup Items folder:

BandOptimizer
BroadbandOptimizer
CocktailBroadbandOptimization
Firewall
iTafAgenda
LittleSnitch
sunShield

I feel ya. It seems that it would be one of these items. However, I have been running these startup items for a long time with no glitches. Do you think I should take them all out of this folder and see what happens? I did take the top 2 items out and restarted but still got the same pop-up window requesting me to disable a third party firewall app. Thanks for your interest. I hope you might have some new ideas as to how I can resolve this issue.
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by TheZee:

BandOptimizer
BroadbandOptimizer
Firewall
iTafAgenda
LittleSnitch
sunShield

I feel ya. It seems that it would be one of these items. However, I have been running these startup items for a long time with no glitches. Do you think I should take them all out of this folder and see what happens? I did take the top 2 items out and restarted but still got the same pop-up window requesting me to disable a third party firewall app. Thanks for your interest. I hope you might have some new ideas as to how I can resolve this issue.
try deleting the one named "Firewall"

just a thought.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by TheZee:

BandOptimizer
BroadbandOptimizer
Firewall
iTafAgenda
LittleSnitch
sunShield

That's a lot of crap in there. What's with all these broadband optimizers? Have you ever noticed a difference? I'd say, quit installing crap software

Delete *all* the Optimizers, and delete Firewall. That is, rm -rf them all, and reboot. And stop installing all these random software apps. They're all voodoo

mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2004, 09:18 PM

Type the following into the Terminal

sudo ipfw -f flush

That worked for me in the past, should work for you as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules