Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hooking up a 12" Powerbook to my TV

Hooking up a 12" Powerbook to my TV
teresa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 08:00 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to run my Mac (12" Powerbook) to my TV, but I'm having a bit of a 'mare getting my head around what cables I need (and whether it can even be done!).
I know there's a DVI to S-video cable, but I don't have S-video on my TV. So then I thought there might be a DVI to SCART cable, but it doesn't look like there is. I thought connecting a Powerbook to a TV would be something loads of people would want to do, but I can't find anywhere that expalins how to do it clearly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit stumped.

Thanks,

Dan

ism
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2006, 08:41 AM

Easy peasy.

One of these: Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter - Plug this in your mac.
One of these: Twin Phono to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Lead - Plug into your mac's headphone socket
One of these: Phono Plug to Plug Lead - Plug into the mini-dvi adaptor
One of these: SCART to Phono and S-Video Adaptor - Plug all three leads into this and then into the telly.

teresa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ism
Easy peasy.

One of these: Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter - Plug this in your mac.
One of these: Twin Phono to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Lead - Plug into your mac's headphone socket
One of these: Phono Plug to Plug Lead - Plug into the mini-dvi adaptor
One of these: SCART to Phono and S-Video Adaptor - Plug all three leads into this and then into the telly.
Thanks for the reply. I decided to go retro, and actually talk to someone face-to-face Our local Apple store doesn't stock them, but it looks like Monster produces a cable made for this very purpose, called the iTV Link. It costs a few bob, but well worth it if, hypothetically, you missed a few episodes of Doctor Who and needed to catch up.

Dan

ism
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2006, 09:08 AM

Cool. Didn't know about that. It'll be a bit of a cleaner solution. I went with all the bits and pieces since I already had them from my camcorder.

Do you have Front Row Installed? And the Front Row controller via Salling Clicker? You're all set then!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 12:30 PM

I hook up my 12 to my TV all of the time. Front Row is very hot like that.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 03:38 PM

I use iTVlink and it works superbly on my 32"JVC.

teresa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2006, 07:33 PM

I ordered one via Apple, it arrived the next day, and we've been watching downloads all weekend. The quality's great, and easily makes up for the hefty price tag. Who needs a media center?!

Dan

rocky raccoon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 09:19 AM

hello.

im just saving a little for my macbook pro, but untill then i will have to put up with my acer laptop. can anyone suggest how i would connect it to my tv? it doesnt have mini dvi - it only has a connection that you would use to connect it to a projector?

also i have salling for windows, does the mac version come with front row script or does it need to be downloaded seperatly?

mike

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 11:05 AM

That monster thing looks pretty sweet. I'm going to pick one up.

rocky raccoon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 04:34 AM

yeah ill definatly get one too.

but does anyone know how to solve it for my laptop (see up^^^^)

IrishBouncer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 01:05 PM

Ok maybe I don't get it but I had a look at the iTV cable and yes checked on the monster site but the mini-DVI they have will not go into the mini DVI on my 12" 1.5 GHz ??? The guy from monster reckoned I had a mini vga on the PB but I checked it on the apple pages and it is mini-dvi soooo my question is is there different size ports for mini-dvi like there is for firewire/usb etc??

Please help

ibook_steve
Sep 1, 2006, 01:23 PM

No, you have mini-DVI. It should work.

Steve

IrishBouncer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 11:38 AM

But this is the thing I had the cable in my hand and the connection would not fit my PB12" it was way too thin. The connector was not the same as that on the mini-DVI to DVI adapator I have ?? Check it out here http://www.monstercable.com/computer...ple%20Products

ibook_steve
Sep 4, 2006, 01:18 PM

The picture looks like mini-VGA, which is the older connector and won't work, though the description says mini-DVI. I'd check with Monster and where you bought it to make sure.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules