Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight Not Searching - Tried everything!

Spotlight Not Searching - Tried everything!
Enigmatik
Jun 9, 2006, 05:28 AM

Hey guys. Right for some reason my spotlight has stopped working. I know most of you will probably say its a crap tool anyway and should be replaced by some fan-dangled searching tool, but its part of Mac OS and I like it to quickly find apps and stuff like that. Anything I have tried, will work for one reboot, then when i reboot again, it falls on its arse.

So, what I have tried to get it working?

I tried adding the system drive to Privary list, then removing it, rebooting, which forced Mac OS to re-index.

I tried deleting the com.apple.spotlight file in /Users/My User Name/Library/Preferences, again forcing Spotlight to re-index the drive.

I have tried booting into single user mode and using the fsck -fy command.

I have tried using disk utility to fix permissions.

I have used YSAU to clear the cache and all that stuff.

I have used MacPilot to delete the Spotlight store thing and cause it re-index.

None of the above have solved my solution. I have googled and searched everything I can think of - all the above solutions were suggested on various forums - and now im at a loss as to what is causing it. Trashing MacOS is not really an option as a) there must be a fix and b) reports of people having the same issue who trashed everything report it did not solve their problem.

Ideas people?!

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2006, 05:44 AM

Try this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50424201429961

Check through the comments for some of the command line options (sudo mdutil -E /). I had to do this recently on a cloned drive. It turned out spotlight was turned off, I had to turn it back on and then force the index to be rebuilt

Enigmatik  (op)
Jun 9, 2006, 05:56 AM

Im trying the command now but to be fair it just seems like another method of re-indexing the drive, which I have done several times now and it doesnt work.

Thank you for the input though!

Enigmatik  (op)
Jun 9, 2006, 05:57 AM

By the way what is weird. If I open a finder window and type something into the search bar in the top right of the window, that files files no problem. Its just spotlight that is being a pain in the ass.

Enigmatik  (op)
Jun 9, 2006, 06:11 AM

Ok Ive just downloaded and installed the combo 10.4.6 Intel Update file and installed that. Rebooted, Spotlight worked fine. Rebooted again, Spotlight doesn't work!

I don't get it!!!!

Enigmatik  (op)
Jun 9, 2006, 06:22 AM

Right more info :-

After digging round some more, I have found a solution that makes Spotlight work - but it shouldn't need to be done. But perhaps someone could figure out what is causing it from the solution I found off another forum.

When I boot up and spotlight isn't working, I open Activity Monitor, find a process called "SystemUIServer". I force quit this process, and it causes the menu bar to re-load. After that, Spotlight works fine.

Does that help anyone?

Forum Links
Forum Rules