Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you love your job?

Do you love your job?
tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 12:31 PM

Do you love your job? What do you do? Are you comfortable with your salary? How long have you done it? Most importantly, is it exciting and fun, and if so, why?
( Last edited by tavilach; Jun 30, 2006 at 12:38 PM. )
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2006, 01:07 PM

can one love a job? a career is something i should love, a job is something i do for pocket cash. ive definitely have had some fun jobs, but nothing id consider doing for a long amount of time.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Psychedeliante
Baninated
Jun 30, 2006, 01:27 PM

Yep. Getting to archive a decade of international houseware competition entries is pretty sweet. I also work on a prototype prone cart for the VA. No, I get paid $7.20 and $8.50 an hour, which stinks, but I'm in school and my hours are super lax. A while now. I think it's pretty fun to see new designs everyday and read how the designer came to that conclusion, and the pitfalls of each, plus reading the judges responses (sometimes they like stupid crap though, like some woman who though a piezoelectric element could provide power to light up LEDs just with pressure on it, it needs vibration, not pressure).... as for the VA one, it's cool. The prone cart is going to help people with spinal injuries, we just finished the first one after a good 8 months of working on it.

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2006, 01:34 PM

No. Working at a waste water treatment plant for minimum wage, making 40 bucks a day shoveling ****, spraying ****, cleaning ****. Not fun at all. I do web design on the side though, and that pays nicely over minimum wage. My current job is paying $18.50 an hour plus money for setting up the hosting and domain. I usually get around 400-500 for each website. So Im hoping my career will be something where I can be on a mac all day long. I want to start as an Apple Genius and work my way up from there in the company or something. Who knows though. Im a senior in highschool, so i have about a year to figure it out. I know its something with computers.

Psychedeliante
Baninated
Jun 30, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus
No. Working at a waste water treatment plant for minimum wage, making 40 bucks a day shoveling ****, spraying ****, cleaning ****. Not fun at all. I do web design on the side though, and that pays nicely over minimum wage. My current job is paying $18.50 an hour plus money for setting up the hosting and domain. I usually get around 400-500 for each website. So Im hoping my career will be something where I can be on a mac all day long. I want to start as an Apple Genius and work my way up from there in the company or something. Who knows though. Im a senior in highschool, so i have about a year to figure it out. I know its something with computers.
Jesus. Get a different job dude.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2006, 01:46 PM

I do not love my job. I consider jobs/work/career merely a means to live comfortably in this society. If I had the means to live comfortably without working I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm not one of those people who wins the lottery and then continues to work at the same job I had before I won.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 01:51 PM

My job is means to an end, I love my family and I prefer to spend my time with them as opposed to spending extra time in the office.

I've known people who work crazy hours, log in at night, heck I've gotten emails from co-workers and bosses at 2:00am.

While I may not be on the fast track up the corporate ladder, I'm not interested in sacrifising my personal time with my family.

I heard this little saying years ago and it really makes sense.
Nobody on their deathbed ever wished they spent more time at the office.

Life if too short and important to spend every waking moment in a 6x8 cubicle.

Wow, I wasn't expecting to rant but there you have it

Oh yeah I love what I do
Michael

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I do not love my job. I consider jobs/work/career merely a means to live comfortably in this society. If I had the means to live comfortably without working I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm not one of those people who wins the lottery and then continues to work at the same job I had before I won.
what he said

johnnyros3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 02:36 PM

I've always been under the impression that if I loved my job it wouldn't be work, but I'm obviously mistaken...

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus
Haha. Um...

Why didn't you choose McDonalds? Same pay and it smells better, right?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 03:03 PM

Com. Sci hardware teacher, Video Editing teacher LOVE IT!!! Summers off sucks (no pay, but can be nice)
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

nerd
Senior User
Jun 30, 2006, 03:03 PM

I love my job most of the time. I'm an Engineer at a TV station. I do get pissed at this place a lot though. Like when the PC only IT guy wants to be my best friend and have me help him figure out ways to send video over the internet, etc. Ahh it would be so easy with FCP, FFMpegX and a little Applescript. Long story short, if this place wasn't anti Mac then I would retire here but it's not so I imagine I'll move somewhere else some day.

Edit:
I forgot to say. I've very happy with my salary so that is also what keeps me from finding a Mac friendly shop. We have an Apple store coming to Albuquerque and what I've gathered they can't come close to matching my pay.
( Last edited by nerd; Jun 30, 2006 at 04:00 PM. )

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 03:14 PM

I hate my job, and I've only been working a week. I hate spending time in my cubicle. The people around me are freakin annoying, straight out of the show The Office. So I try to spend all my time wandering around the factory area. I mostly try to waste as much time as possible. The best part is I make more than double per hour than most kids my age, and this is my first job.

The worst part is when my boss asks me to drive him home, which has happened twice this week. Pretty awkward.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2006, 03:18 PM

Yes, it's a hobby.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 30, 2006, 03:22 PM

Never loved a job. I love my family, friends and God. But not in that order.

But to answer your questions:
Do you love your job?
See above.

What do you do?
I have had a number of careers.
-Draftsman
-General Supervisor
-Engineer
-Experimental Engineering Test Technician
-Assembly worker
-Machine Repairman/Machinist

Are you comfortable with your salary?
I always have been. I wouldn't have taken the jobs otherwise.

How long have you done it?
-Draftsman 2 years
-General Supervisor 1 year
-Engineer 2 years
-Experimental Engineering Test Technician 3.5 years
-Assembly worker 1 year
-Machine Repairman/Machinist 7 years

Most importantly, is it exciting and fun, and if so, why?
The only "exciting" job I had was the experimental job. But one of the most enjoyable was the assembly job. The people were great and fun loving and didn't define their lives based upon what anyone did. I don't miss that job, but I miss those people more than anything.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2006, 03:36 PM

I do. I've been working on campus doing Mac-only tech support for about a month now. Pay is better than my friends are getting, and I spend a lot of my time waiting for something to go wrong (read: on MacNN)

Rumor
Jun 30, 2006, 03:42 PM

Insurance Agent, Manufacturer, Band Promoter, PC Tech, Home stereo installer, Bouncer, and Volunteer. I like them all.

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2006, 03:44 PM

If you asked this two years ago, I'd say no...

But today I offer a resounding yes. I'm a analytics software developer for a major investment bank on Wallstreet. I'm able to interact with all different aspects of the business, I am constantly learning new technologies, and the company is genuinely commited to employee education *GASP*

Someone noted a job is a means to an end. I will agree to some degree...but in my case I say yes I love my job because I'm challenged and engaged by the work AND being associated with such a great company allows me many luxuries that make life a lot of fun...most notable -- living in Manhattan.

Cheers,

Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

SVass
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 04:25 PM

I used to be an aerospace engineer and worked in Dilbert's office for the pointy headed boss. I retired and am far busier with about the same amount of money. Guess what. Having occasional fun at work is nice; but, being your own boss is better.

Yes, being at a rocket launch is fun (even after staying up all night) and the celebration afterwards is great. Sitting at a desk spraying or inputting S*** is not. sam

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2006, 05:32 PM

1. No. Hate it
  2. Mechanical Development Engineer. Developing subsea electrical connectors for Oil/Gas industry
  3. Yeah, it's ok. Never enough, but can't complain
  4. 2 years current role. 6 years total working, 9 years before that working towards it.
  5. No it isn't exciting or fun

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2006, 06:08 PM

I work for Kinko's. I hate it.

This should have been a poll.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Rumor
Jun 30, 2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus

Ever see Kill The Man?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2006, 06:17 PM

I love what I do, but I don't necessarily love my job.

I'm a graphic/web designer, and I love that aspect. But I am basically a freelancer these days, and sometimes that's tough. Have to play the business owner as well as play with Macs.

The last job I had was my best job ever, until it completely fell apart. Creative freedom, fun work environment, good friends, didn't have to talk to a client on the phone, sell anything, etc.

Been on my own since April, 2005. Been in this line of work one way or another since 1996 or 97. Ad layout, design, web administrator, designer specializing in the web, now freelancer.

I wouldn't call my job exciting. I would call it fun. Nothing quite measures up to the feeling of creating something that you can be proud of. Ask any craftsman.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2006, 07:16 PM

I dont love my jobs, but I don't hate them either. They, however can be fun. I'm a teacher, and I work at several group homes for youth who are not right in the head. The pay sucks for both jobs, but I dont do it for the money.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jun 30, 2006, 07:37 PM

I wouldn't say I love what I do, but love the independence it gives me, and the days fly by. I'm an independent contractor installing interior shutters/blinds/window film etc... and have more work than I can handle. The pay is great; I set my own schedule. No negatives really.

I've had a few I'd say were the pits. I worked at a moving company in the 80s and we had to move a museum of body parts/oddities from the Harvard Medical School in Boston to a new location. I had to pack each jar which may have had a head, nose, hand, penis, siamese twin fetus' in plastic peanuts, and had to hoist whole frozen bodies etc... I went through eight helpers in five days. I'd say that was pretty bad.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus

I didn't make it a poll because I figured that the explanations would be far more valuable than the yes/no, but if someone wants to make it a poll, feel free.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2006, 09:35 PM

My current job is grad student. I love it. I get paid by the VA and the Air Force (retired pay), and the VA pays all my school costs. I get to hang out with some of the brightest, most motivated people around, I get to learn some of the most fascinating stuff from some of the best people in the field, and that's all I have to do! What could be better than that? (Not having to be in the Gross lab past 5:00pm for starters, but that's another issue.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 30, 2006, 09:46 PM

I work for Umbrella, the largest corporation in the world, as a project manager. When I began working for Umbrella they gave me a brand new apartment downtown, a slick sports car, and a $2,000 bonus at the beginning of this year. I only have a level E clearance but hope the company will move me up in time. Some of you have heard rumors that Umbrella was behind the destruction of Raccoon City. Check the facts and realize that we aren't out to hurt people. We are conscious about the environment and want to improve people's lives with the products we create. This is simply bad press. I enjoy my job and hope you do too.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 01:30 AM

Im a dishwasher.
My boss is pretty cool, and the people I work with are cool.
Im satisified with my salary, since I probably make more than virtually every dishwasher in the foodservice industry.
I've done it for about 4 months now, and before that, I was a car porter at a Ford Dealership.
And it is fun since the people I get to work with are all very cool and down to earth, and we all share many of the same interests.

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2006, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by tavilach
Haha. Um...

Why didn't you choose McDonalds? Same pay and it smells better, right?
The hours at this job are better, and im gauranteed to work every day (Mon-Fri). Plus I actually would rather work in **** than work in front of that nast food everyday.
( Last edited by Dark_Lotus; Jul 1, 2006 at 03:06 AM. )

Sealobo
Jul 1, 2006, 02:32 AM

I think i like my job, because i see prospect. I actually kinda miss everything at work during long holidays. Climbing the corporate ladder could be fun. It's pretty much like a game anyway.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 02:44 AM

I've pretty much hated every job I've had so far in my life. Most workplaces are filled with self-serving idiots and monotonous, boring work. Figure in the lousy pay and long, late hours…meh.

Meh, it got me through college. But never again, thank you. Life's too short.

I really enjoy what I'm doing now, I just hope I'll be able to make a little more money at it than I'm doing now.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2006, 02:46 AM

I used to. I'm not the sort of person who believes your job has to be awesome all the time as long as it supports your life, but my job was something I felt really lucky to have. Of course, it's kind of gone to pot now. Pretty sad, really, but that's the way it goes.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
I'm a graphic/web designer, and I love that aspect. But I am basically a freelancer these days, and sometimes that's tough. Have to play the business owner as well as play with Macs.
I hear ya. My last job, I had to work for basically less than $1 an hour because my client was such a stingy little SOB.

But I really enjoy the work, and in the end, I had something to add to my portfolio…of course I'm still waiting for him to pay the bill. Always the same shi…

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 04:29 AM

I don't know how other tech support people can handle all the anger and frustration that users dump on you (even if its subtle). I don't have a lot of support to do, but it really takes the passion and motivation out of my day. There are many days when I don't have to deal with users, and I can just focus on the servers, or programming. I love those days.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 07:06 AM

Do you love your job?
No.

What do you do?
I am a parking attendant at U.S, Cellular Field.

Are you comfortable with your salary?
No, although I make about 40 dollars for every White Sox game, they are only playing a game at home less than half of the time, so my pay sucks. This is nto to mention the fact that there is a huge offseason.

How long have you done it?
A few months.

Most importantly, is it exciting and fun, and if so, why?
No. It is mind-numbingly boring.

On a side note, the reason why I hate my job is that I met my current supervisor (and found out which one of the people that I did not know was indeed my supervisor) by him getting in my face and yelling at me. He yelled at me for doing a bad job even though he never bothered to train me or even introduce himself.

It is alot of fun.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 10:36 AM

I can't say I love my job, but there are worse ones. I'm an office manager at a school and I've done that for 2 1/2 years. The job itself is most definately not exciting nor fun. The pay is pretty low for New York City but I have a really cheap apartment so its doable. However, we have kids as young as nursery school age there and they can be absolutely hilarious and adorable.

One day there was a 3 year old boy and his Dad in the elevator with me, several other children and their caregivers. The kid turned to his Dad and suddenly asked, "Daddy, do you have a big penis?" --really loud. Of course, I could barely contain my laughter and neither could anyone else. The Dad was soooo embarassed, looked at the floor and quietly said, "No". The little boy then said loudly, "well do you have a vagina Daddy? do you have a big vagina?" Everyone cracked up.

So, although I don't like my job, experiences like that keep me going. I need to find a new one though.

James L
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 12:46 PM

Well said.

I have worked as a paramedic for the last 9 years, and as an instructor for the last 11 or 12.

I love what I do (and wouldn't trade it for anything), but like any other job I have days where I wish I had stayed in bed.

I am reasonably happy with my paramedic salary, and completely happy with my overall income.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2006, 01:53 PM

<snip>

I wouldn't call my job exciting. I would call it fun. Nothing quite measures up to the feeling of creating something that you can be proud of. Ask any craftsman.
Precisely, I love what I do, but my job can be pretty rough sometimes...like in the winter. So naturally I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life, still, at 22.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jul 1, 2006, 03:34 PM

Sometimes I love my job.
Other times I wish I had chosen another career path.

Was a pilot in the US Air Force. Loved it for a while.
Was a programmer. Hated it more than anything.

Now a pilot for a regional commuter/charter service.
I'm the "chief pilot" now.
That means I get stuck doing the crappy work.
Single pilot ferry of aircraft to maintenance facilities(usually "broken ones"). yay.
And training FO's now.
Oh, and I get to examine ALL of our flight plans to determine which are legal.
Why? Because my supervisor is COMPLETELY incompetent. I would'nt fly with him incompetent.

I LOVE my volunteer job. I'm the transport pilot for the Georgia Wildlife Department Rehabilitation.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 04:02 PM

Job #1
I love. I am a web/graphic designer for a company that has a lot of high profile clients, such as most of the major newspapers across the US. We also have a few big sports clients (NBA, Getty Images, Associated Press, Yahoo, more). We are also starting to get a few international clients, such as the England Cricket Board, and working on Australian Rules Football League. I get to actually do the site design, and some graphic work at times, for all of these clients. We just got Major League Baseball which will be launching in a week or too, and even Penthouse Magazine . Nice to get to look at chicks at work and not have to worry about getting fired. LOL We basically built sites that allow these companies to sell photo reprints of their content to customers as framed, unframed, on mugs, mousepads, tshirts, etc. The pay is nice, and the company is still small, so we dont have the political bull as in a typical corporate job. Which I REALLY like more, than anything.

Job #2
I do freelance graphic/web design on the side as well. This is fun, but the clients aren't reliable. So job #1 offsets the pay on that. Takes months to get content, phone calls aren't returned etc. Most people tend to be about as reliable as getting blown by a vampire. So that part of the freelance part isn't that fun. The freedom offsets it at times if someone actually comes through though.

Job#3
I love that job as well. I also do load control for a swiss airline (BelAir) during the summer out of San Francisco airport. Fun because I get to go out on the airfield and checkout a lot of nice planes and get very nice flight benefits. Plus I got to learn quite a bit of nice things about general aviation overall.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2006, 04:19 PM

I absolutely love my job.
I'm a web developer for a company called Software solutions.com. We send out some newsletters, run an ISP, and run a website: thingstodo.com

I'm mostly responsible right now for automating a lot of the manual work that we're doing, and solving some of the problems that pop up. We also host websites for small bookstores, and manage the shopping carts for them.

It's not always easy to solve problems, which can be frustrating, but I really enjoy my job, sometimes I'll stay later because I don't want to leave (to the shagrin of my girlfriend)

I just got a raise, my boss is great, the people I work with are great. I love being at my job, it's awesome!
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
I absolutely love my job.

but I really enjoy my job, sometimes I'll stay later because I don't want to leave (to the shagrin of my girlfriend)

I just got a raise, my boss is great, the people I work with are great. I love being at my job, it's awesome!
This is so foreign to me. I don't even know what to do with this kind of information. The only thing I can think of that I could possibly do that I would not want to go home is to become a professional rock climber or triathlete.

So its UI design for large web applications for me for the next year. I'm just starting a new job. It pays really well, so I'm looking forward to have a bit more money. I am also trying to work on my attitude, so I don't end up wishing I was anywhere but work.

The best way I've heard to find what you love is: What would you do if money wasn't in the equation and you could do anything?

kapsula
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2006, 05:41 AM

Do you love your job? What do you do? Are you comfortable with your salary? How long have you done it? Most importantly, is it exciting and fun, and if so, why?
1. somethimes like, sometimes hate. all depends of my emotions. sometimes my job is damned bored, sometimes amusing
2. work in tech support team (and modering tha support forum) of dating website. not bad money 4 what i'm doing here and its parttime job, couse I'm student now.
3. yap, one of the reason why I'm here now
4. about 5 month.
5. my job sometimes can be really fun. esp when I have a deal with people who really bad in working with PC)))))

karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 09:54 AM

I really like my job, but can't say I Love it. I changed jobs 4 1/2 years ago after 16 in another division (I work for the US Government as a web survey programmer) and am much happpier now. I get a typical government salary for 22 years experience (I don't supervise anyone) with locality pay for the DC area. It's not six figures yet, but it pays the bills.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 02:35 PM

i love my job. its a high energy rock (mostly) brass band that plays at student gatherings at boston university, the pay is great too, the people are great (when in the right mood) and its really fun.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
i love my job. its a high energy rock (mostly) brass band that plays at student gatherings at boston university, the pay is great too, the people are great (when in the right mood) and its really fun.
Check sig guidelines

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2006, 02:41 PM

It should be OK if you rotate it 90 degrees.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 13, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Check sig guidelines
Are you going for Mod wannabe award of the year?

"Hello, what have we here?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Are you going for Mod wannabe award of the year?
That was off topic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules