Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Mac file sharing: pulling teeth.

Mac file sharing: pulling teeth.
advances|MONKEY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 04:21 PM

I've been using os x since the beginning, and I would have to say that computer to computer file sharing has always been pretty much random. Everything can be set right, directions followed to the letter, and the computers just refuse to see each-other. Just as common is where both computers have identical settings, one can connect to the other, and the other just won't acknowledge the others existence even if you resort to typing in the ip in the connect to box. Needless to say this is intensely frustrating, and somewhat embarrassing. Right now I have my 12 inch powerbook connected over airport to a third party router, which is plugged into my old powermac g4. Both have sharing on, both are running 10.4.7, and the network window of both is empty. I've had many, many similar experiences with two computers with a twisted pair ethernet cable. I've found the most consistent way to get filesharing working on os x has been to boot one of the computers into os 9. Does anyone else have this problem(constantly) is there something I'm missing? Or is it just something that macs arn't good at(never tried it on a windows box.)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2006, 04:27 PM

Sometimes it takes a while for the network window to "refresh" and for the other computers to appear.

This should be under the networking forum, hopefully a nice moderator will move it for you.

advances|MONKEY  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 04:58 PM

Oh crap! Whoops!

And they have been sitting there for a good deal of time due to an unrelated sink catastrophe. It's just not my day today. Where do they get this information from anyway? do they just randomly send pings about the network or wait to hear something from something? My networking knowledge is abysmal which probably could have been helped with the previously unvisited network forum anyway.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 22, 2006, 05:10 PM

Moving to Networking...

Welcome to the MacNN Forums-and cool user name!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by advances|MONKEY
I've been using os x since the beginning, and I would have to say that computer to computer file sharing has always been pretty much random. Everything can be set right, directions followed to the letter, and the computers just refuse to see each-other. Just as common is where both computers have identical settings, one can connect to the other, and the other just won't acknowledge the others existence even if you resort to typing in the ip in the connect to box. Needless to say this is intensely frustrating, and somewhat embarrassing. Right now I have my 12 inch powerbook connected over airport to a third party router, which is plugged into my old powermac g4. Both have sharing on, both are running 10.4.7, and the network window of both is empty. I've had many, many similar experiences with two computers with a twisted pair ethernet cable. I've found the most consistent way to get filesharing working on os x has been to boot one of the computers into os 9. Does anyone else have this problem(constantly) is there something I'm missing? Or is it just something that macs arn't good at(never tried it on a windows box.)
I've had several macs with various versions of OSX and never had this problem. If I click sharing on my wife's laptop, after no more than 30 seconds, I will be able to see her laptop as shared in my network panel and vice versa. I've NEVER had any problem like you've mentioned. Do you have any 3rd party firewall or networking tool installed? Maybe you inadvertently disabled this functionality? I'd also look at the router which may be blocking those ports as well.

Now logging onto Windows 2003 server with OSX is another story. It is a
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 08:13 AM

I can't create a new setting in Sharing Pref pane to open a port. I am trying to use DropCopy between my iMac and this iBook. When I click on the New button, it highlights (blue) but doesn't go any further. How would I go about fixing this problem? I am able to Edit existing ports, BTW. I have done all the maintenance tasks and tried doing it with a new admin and tried with the Firewall off. No Luck.
If this belongs in another forum, please move it.
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2006, 08:31 AM

I've had computers not show up in the network bit of the finder, but command/apple + K never fails to connect me (as long as you know where you are connecting to upfront that is - but that should be the case on a home network).

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 09:10 AM

I've never had this problem. Make sure Appletalk is turned OFF in the network pane.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules