Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kevin Rose Confirms the iPhone!!!

Kevin Rose Confirms the iPhone!!!
macfantn
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 04:17 PM

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 04:19 PM

Sounds sketchy as ever to me. Every leak is different.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 04:19 PM

kevin rose also confirmed the nano and he was spot on.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 04:24 PM

Never heard of Rose. He seems to take what seems obvious to many and pretend to have come up with it. The price points are known to be used by Apple, and it makes sense to have 2 or 4gb capacity.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 04:25 PM

well i am sick of all these rumors, i just want the damn phone. I'll be buying one fo shizzle.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 04:26 PM

Yeah. I basically want a phone like a Treo ( as in Windows mobile) but with an Apple logo and UI.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Yeah. I basically want a phone like a Treo but with an Apple logo and UI.
I don't. Most people hate smartphones and for good reason.

They need to start with ultra sleek and simple for the general consumer and later on offer more advanced models.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 04:28 PM

i want a nano with phone capabilities along with a 3.2 mp camera with a flash and larger screen at least QVGA.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I don't. Most people hate smartphones and for good reason.

They need to start with ultra sleek and simple for the general consumer and later on offer more advanced models.
I meant Treo as in the integration with the phone that Windows Mobile gives it. I want it to be small. Apple should have a light version of Mac OS X and integrate it with .Mac and your Mac.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 04:35 PM

Apple should have a light version of Mac OS X and integrate it with .Mac and your Mac.
Why does OSX have to be on a phone? What do you guys mean when you say this? You want to them take OSX with the dock, finder, unix and all and make it run on a phone?

Or do you just want something that is better than a normal phone OS and just looks like OSX but you don't care what the underlying stuff is?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 04:37 PM

No. I mean like Dashboard, Spotlight, iChat, Safari and Finder all integrated and available from a Finder-like application.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 04:38 PM

I meant Treo as in the integration with the phone that Windows Mobile gives it. I want it to be small. Apple should have a light version of Mac OS X and integrate it with .Mac and your Mac.
Let's not swat flies with sledgehammers. The iPhone need only be an iPod nano with a phone added, not a Palm with a phone added. A mobile OS X is overkill.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Let's not swat flies with sledgehammers. The iPhone need only be an iPod nano with a phone added, not a Palm with a phone added. A mobile OS X is overkill.
Agreed... give me a sleek and usable phone with a good quality camera and integrated iPod. 8GB of RAM would be nice

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 04:46 PM

No. I mean like Dashboard, Spotlight, iChat, Safari and Finder all integrated and available from a Finder-like application.
That sounds like a nightmare. Why does it have to look like a desktop OS on a 3 inch screen?

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 04:50 PM

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 04:57 PM

Why not make a phone that can reliably get calls? I would PAY for a phone like that! The 'services' and the phone offerings are all MP3 players, cameras and crappy phones with a butt load of ringtones. A quality cell phone has never been done sucessfully.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
That sounds like a nightmare. Why does it have to look like a desktop OS on a 3 inch screen?
No. I'm pretty sure you are confused. Ever seen a RAZR? Make it like that but with OS X like apps instead. Instead of just being able to send SMS to phones, you would be able to IM with people on your Buddy List. You could have little widgets on your desktop that show the weather or sports news. You could have integrated Spotlight so that you can search for contacts quickly and easily as well as music etc. You can have Safari for browsing the internet. Not much different than any middle to high end phone nowadays.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 05:04 PM

i have an S710a great phone, good quality calls, easy to use, nice screen decent camera for outdoor pics.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 05:16 PM

Never heard of Rose. He seems to take what seems obvious to many and pretend to have come up with it. The price points are known to be used by Apple, and it makes sense to have 2 or 4gb capacity.
Besides the nano scoop, he also called the MacBook Pro name and specs when nobody else knew "PowerBook" was on the way out..

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2006, 05:20 PM

I wonder if it has an antenna.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 3, 2006, 05:21 PM

OMG I WANT ONE SO BAD!

Truthfully though... If it doesn't have a good camera, I'm not interested.

Oversoul
Senior User
Dec 3, 2006, 05:21 PM

I have some respect for Kevin Rose, so I do hope he's called it right. Rumors have been circulating for months on a January launch anyway.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 05:26 PM

I was at "the Company store" on Wednesday and they let me make a call from it. It rocks..... so hard!

Now if I can just get out of my current contract.....

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
OMG I WANT ONE SO BAD!

Truthfully though... If it doesn't have a good camera, I'm not interested.
Yeah, I've been holding off on getting a renewal-subsidized phone until I see what Apple's got, but I can easily see myself passing it over for whichever K790/K800 variant will work with T-Mobile around here..

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2006, 05:31 PM

I'm ordering if it's real and if it's small enough (K750 weight/dimensions or smaller).

But I really wonder if it's real after reading the billions of iphone rumours on macrumors.com

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I hope so. Reception would suck if it didn't.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 3, 2006, 05:38 PM

An Apple-branded MP3 phone is undoubted coming. The MP3 player market is slowly going to be supplanted by cell phones, and Apple is forward-thinking enough to get into that market. The Motorola ROKR partnership was just Apple's alpha test for this market.

The question though is when. I was predicting later on in 2007, but who knows, it could get announced at Macworld.

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I hope so. Reception would suck if it didn't.
Well, none of the primary GSM phones I've owned in the past 5 years have had an external antenna.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 05:45 PM

An Apple-branded MP3 phone is undoubted coming. The MP3 player market is slowly going to be supplanted by cell phones, and Apple is forward-thinking enough to get into that market. The Motorola ROKR partnership was just Apple's alpha test for this market.

The question though is when. I was predicting later on in 2007, but who knows, it could get announced at Macworld.
The whole market-test idea is why the all-network thing sounds fishy to me. I would imagine Apple has been designing GSM and CDMA versions simultaneously, but I would think they'd release the GSM version first and make sure it doesn't bomb before ramping up CDMA production.

Well, none of the primary GSM phones I've owned in the past 5 years have had an external antenna.
I think that was a joke, along the lines of "Can I go outside?", "I don't know, can you?"..

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 05:46 PM

All Eyes on iPhone (Apple Computer, AT&T, Verizon Communications, Sprint Nextel, Motorola) | SmartMoney.com

Earlier this month, Taiwan's financial newspaper Commercial Times provided some evidence of just that. Citing industry sources, the article said Taiwanese manufacturing powerhouse Hon Hai Precision Instruments received an order from Apple to make 12 million mobile handsets by early 2007. There have also been some small, but meaningful hints coming from Apple itself. During its quarterly conference call in July, an analyst asked Apple's finance chief, Peter Oppenheimer, about his thoughts on Sony's (SNE: 39.69, +0.28, +0.7%) Walkman phone.

"We don't think that the phones that are available today make the best music players," Oppenheimer said. "We think the iPod is. But over time, that is likely to change. And we are not sitting around doing nothing."
Interesting

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 05:48 PM

I believe he was being sarcastic Kevin asked if the phone had an antenna (note lack of word external).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 06:19 PM

Here's to hoping for a camera-free option.

I don't need or want a poopy little sensor with an awful lens. When I want to take pictures, I have my digital camera, and when I go to camera-free areas, I want to have my phone.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I believe he was being sarcastic Kevin asked if the phone had an antenna (note lack of word external).
Certain people claim phones with external antennas are simply passe.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I couldn't agree more. I want it to have the basic elements of a nano with a fantastic phone.

Also, amazing iTunes integration (as with the iPod)

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Here's to hoping for a camera-free option.

I don't need or want a poopy little sensor with an awful lens. When I want to take pictures, I have my digital camera, and when I go to camera-free areas, I want to have my phone.
That's what I said before I got my SE 790 with a 3.2 mp camera build in. It's very usable for snapshots.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I couldn't agree more. I want it to have the basic elements of a nano with a fantastic phone.

Also, amazing iTunes integration (as with the iPod)
Also, with fantastic iCal and Address Book integration. I would also assume that any Apple designed phone would have iPhoto integration as well.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2006, 07:56 PM

lets remember that this is a phone first. it should have good reception and bat. life first(with two sep bats it must be nice), we can always trust apple to make it sexy. im sure that it will have ichat like options(text/video) as well as notes/calendar/address book/ect., 4 to 8 GB sounds like strong size options. and a larger screen is a must for me, i LOVE the old fake ad (italk) but it looks like they are going without a flip phone.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2006, 07:57 PM

and they will need a camera to stay in the run in my opinion.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 08:07 PM

If it works with Sprint, I'm game immediately.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 08:16 PM

Knowing Apple, it will only work with the Apple QuickCell network, which will only be initially available in San Francisco, Hong Kong, Paris and New York.

I'll be surprised if it's an unlocked quad-band. (I may just have to pick one up, if that's the case)

How many bounces does Safari take to launch on it? It's it snappy?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2006, 08:49 PM

I want this phone to have the Genie Effect.

indigoimac
Senior User
Dec 3, 2006, 09:48 PM

I'd love it to be unlocked quad band that would kick some serious ass.

Anyway, the 249 price point would be spot on in my book and the dual battery thing seems interesting.

i foresee this as being the "one more small thing" that we've all been waiting for!
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2006, 10:00 PM

It should have the Zune UI, but with an Apple logo.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
It should have the Zune UI, but with an Apple logo.
Blech!

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I want this phone to have the Genie Effect.
?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2006, 10:36 PM

In other news: Water is wet.

Seriously.

Remember the intro of the LCD iMac?

They showed a picture of a CRT iMac with the back half chopped off and said "sure, we could have done this and had it to you two years earlier. But would you have been happy with it? Neither would we." and then we got the sunflower G4 iMac.

That's what we've gotten for most every product - something that introduces a lot of the features we want with the simplicity and elegance we've come to expect - minus some roadbumps like the cube case defects, the cube pricing, the windtunnel G4 powermacs, etc - but on the whole, good things all.

Remember the original 60GB iPod Photo cost $599 US. I just traded a $499 40GB iPod Photo to another person for an 80GB video iPod that now costs $349 (down from $399 a month ago.)

Expect the phone prices to be ridiculous for a while. Expect the next gen to do more and be similarly priced, until Apple comes to their senses / nickel and dimes their suppliers down on prices so they can pass along without giving up margin.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
What ? Of course it will have an antenna, a cell phone w/o doesn't exist.

Are you asking if the antenna will stick out ?
I'll bet $ Eleventy Billion that it won't. Steve would rather shot himself than doing that.

Edit: Ok, I see, I'm not the first one who picked up on it.

-t

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
What ? Of course it will have an antenna, a cell phone w/o doesn't exist.

Are you asking if the antenna will stick out ?
I'll bet $ Eleventy Billion that it won't. Steve would rather shot himself than doing that.

Edit: Ok, I see, I'm not the first one who picked up on it.

-t
It happens to the best of us.

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2006, 11:03 PM

I'll be happy if this is out for summer. As soon as I'm out of school I'm likely to pick up one of these. And the best part? It'll be my first real cell phone. Sure I had an old one of my mom's for like three months while she ran out her contract when she got a new phone on a new provider. But really this is what I've been waiting for for a long time. I'll be able to take my iPod with me when I want all my music, but having just my favourite songs with me would be cool. Being able to take photos with it would be awesome especially if they had a good camera in there. 3.2 MP would be fine by me, my new camera is 4 MP and Photoshop is not bad for resizing snap shots with friends. Besides rarely do I print off anything I take. Actually I don't know if I've ever printed off a photo I've taken.
Address book integration would be great. As well having a built in RSS reader in my phone would be awesome. And if possible if I could load recent e-mail onto there that'd be great too. Also IM is a big thing that'd be pretty great. VOIP would also be great, but I doubt they'd do this initially unless they really wanted to piss off carriers.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 12:08 AM

Apple isn't afraid of negotiating tough deals in order to move the market to the future.

See iTunes and forcing record companies to get on board with 99� pricing or else, and being resistant to variable pricing. See iTunes become very successful.

See MS Zune store respond to record company greed and doom themselves to fewer sales through that graded pricing.

Expect Apple to drive a hard bargain with cell providers in order to get a VoIP application included. Not hard to do, really: Blackberry's come with AOL applications on them for text. An iChat application isn't that different other than sucking more bandwidth for voice. SIP applications like SJPhone use GSM encoding for the voice over IP, so it's not a huge demand for the provider since it's the same encoding as they already use.

Expect to get a mobile iTunes store.

Here's what I wonder: I don't have a data account on my phone currently. I don't know if many people do. Does the allure of getting internet and email on the phone really cause people to pay more per month? Will it when Apple gives applications that incentivize it?

kupan787
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Here's what I wonder: I don't have a data account on my phone currently. I don't know if many people do. Does the allure of getting internet and email on the phone really cause people to pay more per month? Will it when Apple gives applications that incentivize it?
I have it, and its great.

I have a Sidekick 3, $39.99 a month for 1000 anytime minutes, plus unlimited nights and weekends. Then I pay $20 for the "sidekick data plan", which gives me unlimited texts, unlimited email, unlimited internet, and unlimited aim. It uses EDGE, so it is pretty quick for download webpages (somewhere inbetween DSL and dialup I would say). Its nice to be sitting at a restaurant, have some one say lets go see a movie, and I can pull out my phone, and pull up movie times/reviews/location/etc. Or when I am sitting in class early, I can read macnn or slashdot before class

If I could get an Apple Phone for about $350, and a minutes/data plan for around $75 a month, I would switch. But Cingular and Verizon charge crazy prices for data plans, and Tmobile probably wont get it right away. So i'll probably sit with my current setup for awhile.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 08:20 AM

Same guy that told everyone Tigers feature set a day before before it was announced and announced the the Nano (even getting the name right), he's not just spectating, he knows the price points and models and names because someone from Apple is telling him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules