Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook HATES dvd-r's

TiBook HATES dvd-r's
mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2002, 02:51 AM

Im not sure when this happened, but Recently my powerbook G4 [550 combo drive] will NOT even mount the DVD-R's that were made with APPLE's iDVD. Really wierd.

I do have the newest DVD player and OS 10.1.3. I am sure that I was able to use these discs in the past with this computer.

Any Ideas?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2002, 03:28 AM

I can only recommend a reinstall of the operating system.

My PowerBooks read DVD-R's perfectly.

ichad
Apr 16, 2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by mrfoxxman:
<STRONG>Im not sure when this happened, but Recently my powerbook G4 [550 combo drive] will NOT even mount the DVD-R's that were made with APPLE's iDVD. Really wierd.

I do have the newest DVD player and OS 10.1.3. I am sure that I was able to use these discs in the past with this computer.

Any Ideas?</STRONG>
For what it's worth, I too burn DVD-Rs in my desktop G4 which mount perfectly in my DVD drive in my PowerBook 550. I must admit, they read even faster in the Powerbook, copying files are 3-6mb/sec where as the Superdrive reads at only 2-4mb/sec. Now thats wierd!

Hope it's not a hardware problem! try re-inserting again and giving it some more time to mount. I remember S.Jobs waiting 20 secs for a CD to mount in a Mac drive at an Expo once upon a time.

Good luck, Chad

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2002, 08:38 AM

which brand dvd-r? all media are not created equal.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

deathandtaxes
Apr 18, 2002, 11:08 PM

mrfoxxman, you are not alone. Like you, I think I was able to read the dvd-r's on my Ti550 when I burned the first one 6 weeks ago. Now all they do is mount as far as the menu screen but freeze when I try to play the individual clips. I'm using Meritline general media and burning &lt;60 minute dvds. They play just fine on the iMac and even on my Pismo500 and an Xbox. My Ti has the original DVD drive, not a combo. Any recommendations for better media or anything else?

mrfoxxman  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2002, 12:51 AM

Well...I think that i have isolated the problem to be a malfunctioning Combo Drive. The symtoms are the same in OS9 and OSX. I tried reseting the Firmware, Zapping the Power Management, and still no go...

Its wierd because 'REGULAR' dvd's mount and are accepted by the drive but dvd-r's are disliked and kicked back out..

Its all wierd, but at least im still under warranty. The folks at apple have assured me that its a hardware issue and it will be replaced... :-(

deathandtaxes
Apr 19, 2002, 01:16 PM

Let us know if Apple fixes the problem under warranty. I've decided to upgrade my DVD to a combo drive. Let's hope that a new drive fixes things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules