Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.3.3 startup time fix - need help - EXPERTS

10.3.3 startup time fix - need help - EXPERTS
rsgunther
Mar 15, 2004, 09:17 PM

When I installed 10.3.2 on my powerbook, I noticed significantly slow boot times.

I found this article and made the changes that were recommended.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86639

However, instead of using the CP command, I used the LN command as was recommended in another article.

Anyway, now that 10.3.3 is out, and I installed it.. it was supposed to fix this issue.

How do I know whether mine is fixed, did the LN command mess something up?

I assume LN means to create a link to the file - which isn't a real file.

How do I check to see if everything is correct now?

Is there a way I can see whether the file in /usr/sbin is a link or an actual file?

I am not sure what they did with 10.3.3 to fix it, but I want to make sure mine is straightened out & this command didn't mess up my system.

I am somewhat unfamilar with unix commands. Should I reinstall to get everything back to normal?

Does anyone have a 10.3.3 install that is unmodified or can tell me how my system should be set up regarding this file?

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 10:02 PM

Well, if your boot times aren't any slower, I wouldn't worry much.

ls -al will show where a link resolves to, if it's a link, and not a real file.

Though, all things being equal, the update should have just written over the link with the real file.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

rsgunther  (op)
Mar 15, 2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:

Though, all things being equal, the update should have just written over the link with the real file.
The boot times seem a little slower, maybe it is just a mental thing. Anyway, where was the original file before? Can you look at the command I ran & tell me how to look for the original file. I would like to search my system & see if the original is in the same place as before... then I will check also to see if it is a link or an original in the /usr/sbin directory.

thanks

rsgunther  (op)
Mar 15, 2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:

OK, I did an ls-al - here is what it showed
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 27684 5 Mar 14:07 bootcachecontrol
what does this mean? Is this a link or did the update install a file overtop of the link?

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by rsgunther:
OK, I did an ls-al - here is what it showed
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 27684 5 Mar 14:07 bootcachecontrol
what does this mean? Is this a link or did the update install a file overtop of the link?
looks like a real file to me - I wouldn't worry.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

rsgunther  (op)
Mar 15, 2004, 11:27 PM

Great, thanks for the reply! Also, everything seems to be going great since the 10.3.3 update on this Powerbook 1.25GHZ G4 Superdrive except 1 thing.

Every time I run repair disk permissions (under disk utility) - I get this permission that needs repaired.. It comes up every time, even if I run disk utility back to back.

This is the message:
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261

Why does this keep coming up? Is there something I need to change?
( Last edited by rsgunther; Mar 15, 2004 at 11:32 PM. )

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 01:00 AM

I get the identical message on back to back to back repair permissions.

Also my 1.33 1gig now runs fan cycling all the time. Runs hotter.

Also iTunes runs a little quicker with visualizer framrates now above 33 frames, but fans on always cycling.

Never did this in 10.3.2 at all. I'll give this a few days then revert to 10.3.2

Had no issues and would rather not hear fans again. Gosh.....shades of TiBook days. Uugh

any comments or ideas appreciated.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 10:41 AM

Heh...in looking at the bootcachecontrol in /usr/sbin, I also noticed one thing that's kind of funky:

'accept' is symlinked to 'reject'!

I don't know what purpose either of those two executables serves, but I find it interesting that any program which uses accept and/or reject for logical evaluations will get the same answer regardless. (See edit below)

Of course, those apps appear to be about as useful as the 'yes' utility.

[EDIT: A quick peek at the man pages reveals that they're for CUPS. So I guess Apple prefers to use its own stuff for job control, rather than CUPS's. Still, it's kinda odd.]
( Last edited by Oneota; Mar 16, 2004 at 10:47 AM. )
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

rsgunther  (op)
Mar 16, 2004, 11:44 AM

1 other question:

The apple command was :
sudo cp -p /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin/

Previously it seems the file was in the /System/Library/Extension/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl folder?

Is the file still there in the 10.3.3 update?

I searched in the folder and don't see the file there. But it seems the real file is now in the /usr/sbin folder?

I just want to make sure everything is right. I am a little paranoid aftering doing this command line function previously.

Forum Links
Forum Rules