Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Looking to upgrade Quicksilver G4 with yamakawa drive.

Looking to upgrade Quicksilver G4 with yamakawa drive.
ChadC
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 12:52 PM

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...pno~493525.asp

thats the drive and the price is almost to rediculous to say no. I just wanted to know if anyone know's anything about these drives?
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Jan 9, 2005, 01:49 AM

is mac mod! not mac upgrade

moving the thread...
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 02:01 AM

Heh... XLR8 Your Mac doesn't even have that brand listed in their drive compatibility database. I doubt it will work properly in OS X out of the box. However, a lot of off-brand drives like this are just rebadged drives from a larger company. There's always Patchburn to get compatibility, though I have never used it so I can't report on how reliable it is. Oh, and if you happen to have Roxio Toast Titanium, that should support just about any drive you can possibly find. Of course, for the price of Toast, you could just buy a more expensive drive that is known to be Mac compatible.

I don't know, for a deal like that it might be worth it to buy it and try running Patchburn for compatibility. But I have no idea if it would actually work for a Brand X drive like that. If it doesn't work you could always try selling it on eBay to at least recoup what you spent on it.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

brucejy
Jan 9, 2005, 11:59 AM

It says "designed in a technology partnership with Pioneer." For $28, the experiment is worth it. Get a Firewire case to go with it. Free shipping, too!

ChadC  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2005, 04:40 PM

sorry sine! wasn;'t exactly sure where to put it.

Thanx for the info. guys. I am going to give it a shot. At that price it just seems to be worth it to me!

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 03:57 PM

I saw this on MacMall last week, and figured the same thing you all did -- for less than $30, how could you possibly go wrong?

A few days ago, I put it in a Digital Audio G4, and it wouldn't work. I downloaded patchburn and ran it, and the gui said it didn't have a driver for it. It showed up as a Yamakawa, with no other device options in the GUI.

Now, that's as far as I got -- I spent all of two minutes running patchburn, and for all I know there is a way to trick it into thinking it's a Pioneer drive and getting it to work. Now that work is not as hectic, I might have time to debug this further. Any suggestions?

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

ChadC  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2005, 05:32 PM

well that sux.

guess i'll just put it right up on ebay and see what i can get for it.
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 10:42 PM

Good news!

I finally got a chance to play around with patchburn again today. Even though the GUI said there was no profile, I clicked "install" anyway. After rebooting, now the drive seems to be working! System Profiler reports its disc burning capability as "vendor supported".

I don't know for sure if DVD writing is working, because I don't have a spare 5 GB on my system drive to make the disk image. bummer. I've got tons of space on my other drive. I wonder if there's a way around that?

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 29, 2005, 10:45 PM

fantastic deal for 28 bucks.

pyrocat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 09:21 PM

dreilly1-

Well? Does the Yamakawa drive work with iLife? - iMovie, iDVD?

Toast?

The DVR-Y08 is still listed for sale. If it works in a G4 with Patchburn, and in iApps, I'll get one too. My DVR-A06 is getting kinda slow.

THX
pYr�

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 11:25 PM

I haven't installed the new version of iLife yet (I need to get a bigger drive for my G4), but I've been able to burn both CD's and DVD's on the Yamakawa through the finder, and the Patchburn homepage says that most internal DVD writers that it can provide a driver for will work with iDVD (it's the external burners that it might have a problem with.)

pyrocat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 03:17 PM

The Pioneer DVR-108 is dual format, double layer.

I don't see the Yamakawa specs mentioning double layer. Wonder if it's like the Pioneer, or if they reverse-engineerd the Pioneer without the double layer capability.

Of course the cheapest price for the Pioneer is around $70--without a rebate.

pYrø

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 21, 2005, 04:01 PM

Let us know if it works with iDvd... if it does, that is a screamin' deal.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 11:22 PM

yup, it works with iDVD 5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules