Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is a PowerMac overkill for me?

Is a PowerMac overkill for me?
DoraExplorer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 07:10 PM

I am not a power user at all. I use Office, Appleworks, iPhoto, Pages, iTunes, etc. Maybe iDVD in the future.

I want a replacement for the G3 iBook that I use in my class at school. It's great, and I'm going to keep it, but I want a bigger screen and a keyboard.

An eMac is too big for my desk. I don't really like the looks of iMacs. I ordered an Mac mini, but I'm beginning to have doubts, because after I added everything it's about $1000, and really it's going to be out of date very soon.

I already bought an LCD monitor for the mini. For $1532 I can buy a PowerMac Single 1.8 (edu store) with Bluetooth and Airport. Isn't a PowerMac Single basically an iMac without a monitor? Or is it more computer than I really need? And it's so big! Can I put it under my desk? Is it noisy?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 07:29 PM

For the things you stated for what you do, I think you'll be really happy with the mini, especially if you upped the RAM. The powermac will be faster because of the faster processor and the 600 MHz memory bus, compared to 167Mhz in the mini. For the things you're doing, you probably won't notice this, possibly with the exception of iDVD. Here's what I would say. If you're still using a g3 ibook, and are reasonably happy with it, the mini will probably be fine.

More power is always good, but the powermac is MUCH bigger, MUCH heavier, and potentially MUCH louder than the mini, and for me these are deal breakers. The PM isn't loud so to say, but it can be when it's cooking along.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2005, 08:15 PM

You do know that you can connect an external monitor and keyboard to your iBook, right? The iBook and the mini are very similar to one another. The iBook is, of course, much more versatile. If you're thinking about a new SP 1.8, yes, it is basically a more expandable iMac G5 that is missing the screen. If you are really cost conscious, the mini may be the best bet, otherwise hook up your display and keyboard to your iBook (or buy another one if need be). If you feel you'll need more power than that, an iMac G5 is probably the best choice. Don't get me wrong, the Power Mac G5s are great. I love my G5 DP 2.0 - it will be a thrill to own for quite some time, but I simply have never thought a single processor Power Mac G5 to be a very good value.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 09:41 AM

Don't forget the refurbished section of the Apple Store. Some older 1.6 GHz G5 can be found there for $1199 IIRC (there are some as I type this reply).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2005, 09:59 AM

A PowerMac sounds like overkill. What about a PowerBook?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2005, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
A PowerMac sounds like overkill. What about a PowerBook?
Depends on which model...
A loaded PowerBook can potentially be twice as much as a loaded Mac mini + LCD.

The 12" PowerBook will have roughly similar performance to a Mac mini. Here you trade portability for a small built-in screen (though you can use an external monitor as well, but obviously these cost money). A 15" or 17" PowerBook will cost substantially more than a Mac mini system. Here, you trade cost for performance and portability.

It all comes down to 1) how much you want to spend, and 2) if you think a laptop is necessary or if you'll be happy with a desktop.

If you must have one machine, and it must be portable, then obviously a new laptop (iBook G4 or PowerBook) would be the solution. If you don't need a laptop, then you've got some choices.

Since you already have an iBook, you've already got now a machine for the occasional times when a notebook is necessary (classes, library, cafe, airplane). Maybe what you'd like is a space-saving quiet desktop like the Mac mini, especially if you're the kind of person who keeps a computer until its run into the ground, then replaces it.

But if you're the kind of person who is constantly making small upgrades or you want to "future-proof" your machine (at least as much as is possible), then a PowerMac may be what you need. Easily expandable/upgradable hard drives, optical drives, RAM, graphics, PCI slots, etc. Then again, this expandability comes at a price (like everything).

Me personally - I'd rather have a nice desktop plus a merely adequate laptop rather than a top-end laptop and no desktop. But that's me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules