Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Garageband1 problem, very scary...HELP!

Garageband1 problem, very scary...HELP!
silvercaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2005, 01:57 PM

Hello,

When I try and open a certain song that I have never had problems opening a few days ago, GB quits. When I try and open the song from the finder, GB partially loads up with no tracks, no new tracks can be created and nothing plays. It's all grey, except for the play, rewind, ff buttons.
Other songs seem to load fine.
A few days ago I archived all my GB songs and have them in an archive folder. I have unarchived them and tried opening songs. I have the same problem with the same song as if I loaded it up from the finder, partial load.
I've rebooted from system prefences->startup disk with no luck and now I'm very scared that I may start losing a lot of hard work.

Please help, all suggestions are appreciated,

Robert

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 02:21 PM

1. Try deleting the preference file, ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband.plist and also com.apple.garageband.cs (where ~ is your home folder)

2. Check to make sure your date and time settings are correct. Hard to believe, but sometimes that causes problems.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

silvercaster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2005, 03:19 PM

OptimusG4,

I will definitely give both of those things a try.

In deleting the preference files, Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband.plist and Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband.cs, what are these prefences generally for and will I lose any songs?

I know these types of problems are tough to localize.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Many Thanks,

Robert
( Last edited by silvercaster; Mar 30, 2005 at 03:58 PM. )

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by silvercaster:
OptimusG4,

I will definitely give both of those things a try.

In deleting the preference files, Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband.plist and Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband.cs, what are these prefences generally for and will I lose any songs?

I know these types of problems are tough to localize.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Many Thanks,

Robert
You won't lose any of your songs. Take this as an example of what they do. You have a game and let us say it is Medal of Honor. You have the game set up the way you want it in regards to screen resolution, sound and whatnot. Deleting the files will mean that you have to set the game up they way you want it again. On certain programs deleting the files will cause you to have to type in your key code again. I'm sure there is more to it than that but that is the short and sweet of it.

Sometimes the preference files get corrupted and cause an application not to launch or crash unexpectedly.

silvercaster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2005, 05:32 PM

discotronic,

Thanks for the info. I fear that I am starting to lose the first of all of my songs in GB1. That would be a lot of hard work going down the proverbial drain.

I'm really hoping that it is something simple.

In addition to OptimusG4's advice, do you have any other suggestions that I can try when I get home?

Many thanks in advance,

Robert

silvercaster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2005, 09:58 PM

discotronic and OptimusG4,

I deleted Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband.plist, but Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband.cs was not there to be deleted.

I'm having the same problem. That one song causes GB1 to only partially load.

Date and Time look correct.

Is there anything else I might try?

Thanks,

Robert

silvercaster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2005, 03:39 PM

OptimusG4 and discotronic,

It works!

Holy guacamole.

Well, this is what happen.
The song that was giving me problems had a duplicate that I had saved with some compression changes on it. This was before I was having this problem. I tried the duplicate for kicks and it opened with all the tracks and settings in tact. I still do not know what happen to the original, so I just deleted it.
Could something have gone bad when I duped it?

I do not know for sure.

But let me say again, I much appreciated all your input.

Many thanks,
Robert

Forum Links
Forum Rules