Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Bulletstorm lands 22 Feb

Bulletstorm lands 22 Feb
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2011, 04:18 PM

In case you haven't seen it, Duty Calls is a spoof on realistic action shooters and an advertisement for Epic's over-the-top Bulletstorm. YouTube: Duty Calls here. Or you can go to bulletstorm.com and download the 800MB playable parody.

I'm excited about Bulletstorm, maybe enough to put Win7 back on my Mac. It looks like the spiritual successor to Unreal Tournament, which is unlikely to see more sequels.

Has anyone tried the Bulletstorm demo on PS3 or XBox360? There's no PC demo, since I guess they sunk all their time into a playable parody of Call of Duty.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2011, 04:22 PM

I didn't much care for the demo. The motif is Gears of War which I never cared for. The game mode in the demo is basically Tony Hawk meets an FPS (Do tricks, don't repeat), but the controls are slightly BioShock (Leash).

Maybe the campaign will be fun, but I don't see the multi working well with the leash mechanic. I might pick it up for $20 down the line.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2011, 12:01 AM

Skillisode #4

Fireworks
Letterbomb
Breakdance

I particularly love the breakdance kill.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 01:27 PM

Ars Technica says BulletStorm is a mess.

First, it costs $60 instead of $50, which is simply greed.
Second, it requires a Games for Windows Live account, even if you bought it thru Steam.
Third, the UI is fncking terrible, just like Unreal Tournament 3.
Fourth, it's apparently fun as fnck, meaning we might have to put up with 1-3.

I'm waiting for a Steam sale. Maybe, by that time, the GfWL requirement will be dumped and the IU polished. The UT3 UI improved a great deal, though it never became as good as the UT2004 UI.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 03:00 PM

A guy in my clan has it on Xbox - not legit. He loves it.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2011, 04:00 PM

There might be a Bulletstorm version for Mac coming!

Mark Rein said yesterday that Unreal Engine 3 is in fact coming to the Mac! See here: Unreal Engine 3 running on Mac OS X | Joystiq

This change in policy is probably the result of successful sales of Infinity Blade in the iOS app store. Just like Angry Birds and other stuff was ported from iOS to Mac, Epic probably wants to enable Unreal Engine iOS games being ported to the Mac.

So we should expect to see Infinity Blade on the Mac, probably Bulletstorm, Unreal Tournament 3, and the Unreal Developer Kit (which is free and pretty cool, because 3rd party mods can be published to it instead of UT3).

And maybe even Gears of War (but not the sequels, which are XBox360 only. MS are such friggin' jerks by times.) And there are many other UE3 games on Windows I'd love to see ported.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 3, 2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
MS are such friggin' jerks by times.
Yeah, hardware manufacturers who use exclusives are such jerks. I wish they'd port GoW to Mac like Nintendo and Sony have ported Mario and Gran Turismo, respectively.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2011, 04:37 PM

MS released the original Halo and Gears of War to the PC. Then refused to release the sequels on the PC. That is jerk behaviour.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 3, 2011, 04:41 PM

That's called, "We're in the console market now."

Forum Links
Forum Rules