Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Multiple users on iCloud...

Multiple users on iCloud...
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2011, 01:22 PM

I haven't updated to iOS 5 yet and am a little confused about how this newfangled iCloud stuff is going to work.

My wife and I both have iPhones. We share an iTunes account and sync to the same copy of iTunes.

I've been told that ever user needs to have their own iCloud account so that the backups don't get hosed.

So my question is this... if we have separate iCloud accounts, can we share contacts, calendar updates, photostream, etc?

How does that work? I want to have a decent understanding of how this is going to go down before I upgrade.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2011, 02:25 PM

Not sure about photo stream, but separate iCloud accounts can still subscribe to each other's calendars and contacts.

You will be using 3 Apple iDs:

1 for iTunes Store
2 for your iCloud (email, contacts, calendar)
1 for your wife's iCloud (email, contacts, calendar)

That's my understanding at this point. I'm basically in the same boat as you are.

-t

kcramer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2011, 03:54 PM

I would think you would want one common iTunes Store account but separate iCloud accounts. My wife and I both share a single iTunes Store account but have separate Mobile Me/iCloud accounts. We have separate email, contracts, and calendars. As the poster above mentioned you would share contacts and calendars by emailing address entries or sharing calendars via subscriptions or iCal events. If you're creating calendar events for both of you then you could invite her to the event so she gets an invitation. In short, there are methods in place to share those things.

You aren't forced to use iCloud though. It just works well to use the iCloud services on the iPhone.

I assume you aren't sharing an email account today? I guess if you are currently syncing the calendar and contacts directly to the same computer you could still do that in iOS5 via a USB connection to that computer.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2011, 07:29 PM

My wife and I use 3 Apple IDs / iCloud accounts.

1 joint account for iTunes - Been using this one for years.

1 in my name - Our contacts, calendars and reminders live here... Always identical on both phones. We use different color-coded calendars within this account. On my phone, the calendar with my name is default. On hers, it's the calendar with her name that's set as default. We also have a calendar for our son's school activities & appointments, as well as a calendar called "Joint + Social" for activities involving both / all of us.

The last Apple ID is for her. This one is new. So far, it's just for the "Find My Friends" app.

My iCloud account and hers use Contacts, Calendars and other shared settings. For mail, we have our individual Gmail accounts on our respective devices and have iCloud mail set to "off."

This all feels hacky and inelegant. I wish there was some way to associate or relate a couple of Apple IDs. I get how this would be a mess for Apple and is unlikely, but it sure would be convenient.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2011, 04:34 PM

I just went through this. Tried to use a single ID, but realized she was getting all of my text messages (iMessage) as well as all of my Photos in my Photo stream. So, the wife and I now have separate iCloud accounts, but we share an iTunes account.

Once you do this, double check your iMessage account. That also can be set separately. Ensure it's the one you want.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2011, 05:06 PM

This is the type of information I was looking for when I started my other thread earlier today.

I am only using a single account but I don't have any iMessage interference like you mention, driven. My only issue is that I can't use Find my Friends, but it sounds like DigitalEl has it set up the way I want it.

There really needs to be an easier way to figure all this out. Maybe a flowchart or something. The problem is that we don't all have the same goals and there are tons of combinations of accounts and devices and usage scenarios.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
This is the type of information I was looking for when I started my other thread earlier today.

I am only using a single account but I don't have any iMessage interference like you mention, driven. My only issue is that I can't use Find my Friends, but it sounds like DigitalEl has it set up the way I want it.

There really needs to be an easier way to figure all this out. Maybe a flowchart or something. The problem is that we don't all have the same goals and there are tons of combinations of accounts and devices and usage scenarios.
Exactly. I think the Apple "genius" folks are about to take on a new importance for most people. We'll support ourselves here.

To be clear the iMessage interference was mostly on the iPads that we own. Turns out that her phone wasn't enrolled in iMessage yet and she was just getting normal SMS messages. That's all fixed now.

Yes, Apple can do better on product education here. I'm sure they will over time.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Yes, Apple can do better on product education here. I'm sure they will over time.
I'm sure it will get better, but this has been a growing issue since the first iPhone came out. We really need multiple user accounts on the phone. I hate telling my nephew he can't play with my phone because I'm afraid he will erase my work emails.

If we had multiple accounts all controlled by a master itunes account to make purchases it would be perfect. It would be much more intuitive on how to set up separate contacts, calendars, music, photos, etc. while still allowing for some overlap because both phones and accounts would be controlled by one master account.

There must be millions of people who have multiple iPhones in their households.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I'm sure it will get better, but this has been a growing issue since the first iPhone came out. We really need multiple user accounts on the phone. I hate telling my nephew he can't play with my phone because I'm afraid he will erase my work emails.

If we had multiple accounts all controlled by a master itunes account to make purchases it would be perfect. It would be much more intuitive on how to set up separate contacts, calendars, music, photos, etc. while still allowing for some overlap because both phones and accounts would be controlled by one master account.

There must be millions of people who have multiple iPhones in their households.
I agree with this, esp with more and more using iPads as their primary computers. I think we'll get there as well, and I doubt it will be too far down the road. (At least I hope not.) What you suggest has been very high on my wish list for quite some time.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules