Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Gordon Bennett - the fan just came on!!!

Gordon Bennett - the fan just came on!!!
Mr Creosote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2003, 03:42 PM

What I thought had been the second fan merrilly buzzing away appears to have been the "first" fan.
I was sat here admiring the aquarium of serenescreen on my Tibook and the second fan came on - I nearly jumped out of skin!!!!
I quickly picked up the pb and waved it around in mid air in a desperate attempt to get some air-flow through to shut the bloody racket up. This worked.

I am very UNimpressed. I know about heat and fans and modern processor heat output etc etc but did they really have to put a fan in that make sthat racket? Its total cr*p. That single reason alone would prevent me from using my new toy for more than an occassional utility (DVD in bed, checking email when travelling). There is absolutely no way I could stand that noise, and even worse on what is supposed to be an up-market high quality peice of design and engineering.

So far Ive spent a few hours with my little pb, and about half of it really positively impresses me and about half I find poor.
The things I dont like are the FAN !!! the aweful looking keyboard with the daft small enter key above a large shift key, the FAN, the FAN (did I mention that?!), the fact that I have to jump through hoops to get Quake running having just spent 20 quid buying it, the "dock" - why wont it go away when I use an application full screen?, the totally pathetic speakers, the screen which one has to be right bang dead center in front - a viewing angle of about 0.0002 degress..

What I like about it is that it looks cool, I love the simplicity of the design, the ease to play music and DVDs, the "friendly" posture of it - almost welcoming and like a maiden aunt, I adore it when its powered down and SILENT. The fans have just gone off and I am happier again.

I will be very interested to see and hear if the 17inch addresses any of the things I dislike about the tibook I have.

Excuse the ramble. Just I have been reading 17inch reviews on this forum and just got acrries away!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2003, 03:44 PM

Re fan: Check my sig.

Re Enter key: Doesn't bother me.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2003, 03:47 PM

If you're not happy with you Tibook, sell it and get something else....
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

bamchum
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2003, 03:54 PM

Which TiBook is it?

If it's still under warranty or AppleCare, you can probably get Apple to replace the fans. They did it for me and some others here. It made a world of difference in my case: the fans still come on but they aren't nearly as bothersome.

From your spelling, I'm guessing that, whatever model it is, it's a UK version. It is true that the enter keys on the UK keyboards of Apple machines tend to be too small.

You'll probably get used to it. Or maybe you could buy a new keyboard....

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Mr Creosote:
the "dock" - why wont it go away when I use an application full screen?
You can set it to autohide in the dock preferences.

Forum Links
Forum Rules