Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Income and amount spent on Powerbooks...?

View Poll Results: When considering your Powerbook purchase, the following is most true:
Poll Options:
None of your dang business! 3 votes (3.85%)
I saved for years and years and this was a rare treat. 11 votes (14.10%)
Somebody else paid for it. 8 votes (10.26%)
I financed through Apple. 9 votes (11.54%)
I financed through a cash advance on my credit card. 5 votes (6.41%)
I stole the money (or the Powerbook). 5 votes (6.41%)
This purchase represented at least 1/2 of my yearly income. 6 votes (7.69%)
I'm loaded. 31 votes (39.74%)
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll
Income and amount spent on Powerbooks...?
danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2003, 10:29 PM

Hmmm... how to ask this question in a diplomatic fashion...? I'm not gonna ask how much you make, but I'm curious as all get out how folks are able to afford $4000 laptops and all the other cool stuff that goes along with it.

Not that I'm picking on AssassyN, but from his posts, it's pretty clear he's getting ready to go off to college - which probably makes him 17 or 18. And he's just dropped at least $6000 on some very cool stuff. Man, oh man, that's more that my first car cost - and I didn't get that until I was 20. (again, not picking on him - hey, good for him!!!! (but lock that stuff up at school...)).

So... what's your financial situation when it comes to Powerbooks...?

(I'll go first... it's a hobby and I'm lucky enough to have the cash to buy a few toys a year.)

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 11:04 PM

im 14, and my situation was sort of a combination of 2 of the options. on the one hand, i've been saving my money for years and had a nice chunk saved up when i bought the powerbook. on the other hand, i got a part time job a couple months ago which puts me in the 1/2 income category... either way, im happy with my purchase

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2003, 11:36 PM

I'm loaded

That, and receiving an educational discount and then paying for the machine via a Salary Sacrafice scheme helps, too I'm getting a 17" for less than half price!

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2003, 11:39 PM

I recieved my 1 GHz TiBook through the Apple Loan option. I pay about $100 a month at 14.99% interest. In the end (if I don't pay it off fully by the end of June) I will have paid about $650 in interest.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 12:13 AM

After I graduated high school 2 years ago, my parents got me a dell 8100 for college.

Fast foreward to last november: I sold my dell for $1900, bought my PB through ADC and paid for the remaining $500 from the money I had earned during the summer.

So I paid for 25%, apple paid for 25%, and my parent's initial investment paid for 50%.

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 12:37 AM

student loan money which is "extra" right now because my husband is working and making good money. After all the gadgets my total comes to about $11,000CAN.....or like 50 bucks american. (LOL...just kidding...like $7300US.
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2003, 01:16 AM

My parents bought me my 17" - I live a long way away from them (they live in Iowa, USA), and they wanted me to have something useful 'from them'. They actually sent it to me from the Oakbrook apple store two weeks ago, when they were just starting to receive stock.

I had the money all saved, though, as I was intending to purchase one on my own. I sold my old Ti 800 for $2100, and just saved a small amount out of my part-time salary as a data archiver at the University. I usually do this all the time, so that I am better prepared when I need to buy a new computer or expensive hardware/software. But, I had more than enough. Now, I have quite a bit of cash left, and I'll probably save most of it.

I paid off a bunch of shareware apps, got a new iPod case, maxed out the RAM in the 'book, got some new earphones (Etymotic ER-4P - $330, review forthcoming), picked up a copy of Final Cut Express and Adobe Illustrator with my edu discount, etc. Still got a lot left, and I'm going to save it for 'next time', because you never know when it's going to be time to upgrade again.

In the past, when I lived with my parents at home, going to high school, the tactic I used to buy the machines seemed pretty cool. They bought me my first powerbook, a bottom-of-the-line Wallstreet 12" 233. Every time I wanted to upgrade, on the average every 10 1/2 months, I would sell the old machine for about 2/3 of the cost of the new one, like this time. And I would usually have the money saved anyway, or if I didn't, they would help me out with what I needed (usually not more than $300-$500). I used only to get low-end machines, but in the last three years I've graduated to high-end ones, and in the last year, I've been able to score high-end machines with big HDs and maxed-out RAM.

Karim
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 01:31 AM

This is a funny poll. Although I am interested in the results, so far about 50% of everyone is "loaded"

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 02:21 AM

So... all of the 43.5% loaded people out there... how about sending me some money to buy a PB?
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 04:02 AM

I got an Apple Loan and am paying 167/month (CDN) for the rest of my life...hehe....well, maybe not that long, but for a number of years anyway. I have an ex-wife and a son to support so I ain't rich by any stretch of the imagination...
"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
ADS External FW HD Enclosure w/ a WD120Gb 7200 RPM Drive
30Gb iPod
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 04:48 AM

Originally posted by Karim:
This is a funny poll. Although I am interested in the results, so far about 50% of everyone is "loaded"
I think the only reason alot of people are people are picking "I'm loaded" is because the poll is missing a few categories. I picked "I'm loaded" even though I'm not because none of the other choices apply. It's missing choices like:

"I have a job and can afford to get a new computer everytime the old one no longer suits my needs"

or

"I work at Apple and I get macs dirt cheap"

or

"I don't have too much disposable income but I'm the most financially irresponsible mac addict in the world so I have 3 powerbooks even though I only need one"

or

"I have no money but I bought all this stuff because I'm certain that I'll either win the lottery next week or receive a huge inheritance from a rich relative I never knew existed"

or

"I exchange Apple products for sex"

Then again, maybe everyone really is rich.

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 09:46 AM

How about...

I sold both my older PowerMac with 17" Studio Display and iBook to afford mine.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by spaced:
How about...

I sold both my older PowerMac with 17" Studio Display and iBook to afford mine.
ditto ... though i sold my 15" PowerBook for $3,000 on eBay, and bought the new 17"er for $3,300 (shipped, with RAM upgrade) which I now owe 2,500 on.
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 06:43 AM

Well, I paid half the amount, and the other half is on my credit card, but that will be paid off soon too, in a few months.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules