Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet?

Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet? (Page 19)
ShrimpCreole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2006, 02:56 PM

Has anyone received the MBP from a reseller??? I ordered from B & H on 2/7 and have been getting the run-around ever since!

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006, 03:03 PM

Fedex says my MBP is in transit from Indiana and has been since 3am. I'm in Iowa which isn't that far. The FE page hasn't updated in 12 hours. It really makes me wonder what usefulness these tools have besides saying left/arrived. The in-between is hopeless.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006, 03:09 PM

I spoke to Apple yesterday and while my 1.83 is set to ship on the 14th of March, it may ship by the 8th. I'm hoping it will ship earlier as I will be out of town on business for a couple weeks starting on the 13th. It is shipping to my workplace but I would not want to wait a few more weeks to get it.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

schalliol
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 03:11 PM

I think it's strange that they send me an email on 3/1 saying the machine is taking longer than expected and I can cancel my order if I want, yet they ship it only 2 days later. Clearly they need to be better connected.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2006, 03:20 PM

That sounds like one of those IBM Global eBusiness commercials or something...

schalliol
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2006, 04:07 PM

haha, well, no more IBM there now!
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Borman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2006, 06:55 PM

Got mine earlier in the day So far, so good, typing on it now

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006, 07:25 PM

15.5 hours and no update. Very...tense.

Fedex History

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006, 08:22 PM

Yeah, well, mine was supposed to come today but got delayed by WEATHER. So, I won't get it until Monday. THREE WHOLE DAYS. Now this sucks.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006, 08:48 PM

They don't deliver on Saturdays huh?

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by darcybaston
They don't deliver on Saturdays huh?
Sadly, no. This is agonizing...

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2006, 12:09 AM

Well, I won't see mine until Monday either. The Fedex page hasn't updated in 19 hours. *shrug* The package is listed as being in transit from a location that I could have driven to and back from in less time.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2006, 12:14 AM

Fedex says that international priority/2 day shipping delivers on Saturdays. I won't hold my breath, but it would be nice if it showed up tomorrow.

dahcar
Mar 4, 2006, 01:31 AM

I just received my MBP yesterday. This is my first mac. I have been a windows power user for several years, but decided to take the plunge. I have to say, I am more than impressed. I've been reading these message boards for months trying to decide on a computer. I just thought it would be fitting that my first post be with my new mac.

Here's a little tip for those who are still waiting for their shipments, but may not be available to sign for the package. You can call FedEx and have them deliver it to your nearest FedEx/Kinkos. It saved me an hour and a half trip to the FedEx location in the suburbs. You may have to wait for an unsuccessful delivery first, but if you call soon enough after the delivery attempt they may drop it off at the location the same day.

lordhamster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2006, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by dahcar
I just received my MBP yesterday. This is my first mac. I have been a windows power user for several years, but decided to take the plunge. I have to say, I am more than impressed. I've been reading these message boards for months trying to decide on a computer. I just thought it would be fitting that my first post be with my new mac.

Here's a little tip for those who are still waiting for their shipments, but may not be available to sign for the package. You can call FedEx and have them deliver it to your nearest FedEx/Kinkos. It saved me an hour and a half trip to the FedEx location in the suburbs. You may have to wait for an unsuccessful delivery first, but if you call soon enough after the delivery attempt they may drop it off at the location the same day.
Dahcar: When did you order and what options did you get?

dahcar
Mar 4, 2006, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by lordhamster
Dahcar: When did you order and what options did you get?
I ordered on 1/29 - 1.83ghz all standard features

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2006, 11:52 AM

I gave Fedex a call as the tracking info hadn't updated in 31 hours.

I learned that the online tracking tools only update when a package is in actual physical movement. So even if there's a destination node (non final) like INDIANAPOLIS, IN and the status says 'In Transit', that doesn't mean the package has left that point and is physically moving. It means it's still elligible to continue its route.

So my MBP has been sitting in IN since 3am Friday morning and won't make its way into Iowa until Saturday night (tonight). Why was Friday ignored completely? Nobody I spoke to could say. The service rep I spoke to said even with 2 day international shipping, unless there was a bit extra paid for Saturday delivery, Saturday deliveries aren't made. I'm guess it put the package into a 'no hurry' state and it sat still. I have to wait until Monday to receive the package.

To confirm what many have experienced, giving Apple/FedEx an extran $15 for 2 day delivery doesn't actually affect much. My package left on Wednesday from Shanghai and won't arrive until Monday.

johnmac13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2006, 03:46 PM

Initial Reactions with mine:
1. Speed is great
2. Apple Store is behind the curve in ability to answer questions.
3. Virtual PC doesn't work on MacBook Pro
4. I can't bring up AIM in iChat; I have a bunch of computers connected wirelessly to a Linksys G router. With the MacBook Pro, I get a message "Could Not Connect to AIM. A Connection already exists from your computer's IP address. Only one connection per IP sddress is allowed"

vasu
Senior User
Mar 4, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by johnmac13
4. I can't bring up AIM in iChat; I have a bunch of computers connected wirelessly to a Linksys G router. With the MacBook Pro, I get a message "Could Not Connect to AIM. A Connection already exists from your computer's IP address. Only one connection per IP sddress is allowed"

in iChat's preferenes, check the box that says "allow multiple logins"

-vasu

schalliol
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 04:18 PM

Keep in mind that FedEx does what's fastest in aggregate. As such, sometimes packages move in strange ways. It's a bit like the net-w/ more management. Packages move based upon what routes get all packages where they need to go. I think my Ti was delivered on a Saturday back in '02.

silverbullet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2006, 04:47 PM

Mine arrived yesturday and it's super sexy . I love the speed. I did a re-install and it seems much quicker from when it first arrived.

Moving from a 12" powerbook the screen seems HUGE. This beast is wide.

Starcraft was a little wonky lol. maybe they will release a universal binary

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2006, 09:03 PM

Regarding Virtual PC ... you probably won't need it since it looks like QEMU (Q) will run at near native speeds when the virtulization engine is finished .. way faster than VPC. Reports are now that Q on the intel Macs are running faster than VPC on the G4 Macs. http://www.kberg.ch/q/

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 10:06 PM

mine arrived last friday (so 8 days ago), yet i'm returning it to apple as soon as the fedex label arrives. read about it here:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...75#post2902738

(cliffs notes for the lazy: my MBP has a humming display. i cannot live with it, and Apple is replacing it as DOA.)

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2006, 11:11 AM

The MBP I ordered is moving again. Fedex let the package sit from Friday 3am to Saturday 5:30pm. 2 day shipping huh? They almost ate up that "promise" in that one delay. Quite strange. I consider it a lesson learned: 2day international shipping doesn't exist no matter what's advertised.

johnmac13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by vasu
in iChat's preferenes, check the box that says "allow multiple logins"

-vasu

Absolutely right -- thank you

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by spiky_dog
mine arrived last friday (so 8 days ago), yet i'm returning it to apple as soon as the fedex label arrives. read about it here:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...75#post2902738

(cliffs notes for the lazy: my MBP has a humming display. i cannot live with it, and Apple is replacing it as DOA.)
I'm really "sorry for your loss' as they say on NYPD Blue. I am literally scared spitless for my MBP to finally arrive. All the anticipation coupled with the added extra waiting time = idle time plus all the other mini-dramas of hardware and software glitches = Oye vey! I hope that all this angst will be worth it.

Also, I'm curious how these different Rebate programs will work. I purchased a printer that should end up being free with the rebate also I was interested in the .Mac account which is supposed to be discounted when you by a new MacBook Pro. However, the small print says that all your purchases have to be on ONE reciept. My printer has long since arrived so i was billed for that already. I'm waiting on the arrival of the MBP before I get a permanent .Mac account. Anyone encountering problems in this area as well (hope not).

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 10:59 AM

I got an email from Apple this morning. She's on her way! It was suppose to be shipped on the 9th of March instead it is due to arrive on the 9th.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by BroadwayTJ
I got an email from Apple this morning. She's on her way! It was suppose to be shipped on the 9th of March instead it is due to arrive on the 9th.
On what day did you submit your order to Apple? thanks...

Poogy
Mar 6, 2006, 12:00 PM

I just ordered mine on 3/4/6. The "order status" has a projected ship date of 3/27, which seems like a major bummer--couldn't I get it faster by going to the Apple store?

Anyway, what is folks' experience with projected ship dates? Are they usually accurate, or conservative? Any hope of getting the MBP much sooner?

--Poogy

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2006, 12:12 PM

Good luck at an Apple store, they all have wating lists, call all your third party retailers in the area, I found one the same day I started calling, they got 3 in and sold 2, held the last one for me. It was a 2.0 MBP.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Poogy
I just ordered mine on 3/4/6. The "order status" has a projected ship date of 3/27, which seems like a major bummer--couldn't I get it faster by going to the Apple store?

Anyway, what is folks' experience with projected ship dates? Are they usually accurate, or conservative? Any hope of getting the MBP much sooner?

--Poogy
The listing shipping time at the Apple Store is shrinking, now at 2-3 weeks estimate. The shipping dates so far seem to have been on the conservative side with people getting shipment notices anywhere from about 9 days to 3 days early. At least Apple is starting to catch up and fulfill the order backlog. My feb 15 order is still waiting to be shipped with the est. date at mar16.

Freeway Fritz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by darcybaston
The MBP I ordered is moving again. Fedex let the package sit from Friday 3am to Saturday 5:30pm. 2 day shipping huh? They almost ate up that "promise" in that one delay. Quite strange. I consider it a lesson learned: 2day international shipping doesn't exist no matter what's advertised.

My 2.16 Ghz 120 Gb hard drive shipped from Shanghai on Fed 28 and was delivered in Denver on Mar 2 - I believe that is two days!

Finrock
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 01:14 PM

I'm still waiting for mine to ship. "Estimated ship by: Mar 6, 2006". I ordered on the 13th of January.

I have a feeling I'm gonna get another one of the dreaded e-mails from Apple tonight, like the one I got on the 24th of February, my first projected ship date:

Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s) by the date that you were originally quoted: Z0DF, MBPRO 15/2.0 CTO will now ship on or before Mar 06, 2006.

So... I'm not holding my breath.

-Finrock
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

ShrimpCreole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 01:29 PM

Just spoke to B & H. Last time I spoke to then they said it would ship by today. Now they are telling me not until the end of the month. Why, oh why, did I not order it directly from Apple???

schalliol
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 02:03 PM

I've received my unit and it's running great (at least initially).

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Freeway Fritz
My 2.16 Ghz 120 Gb hard drive shipped from Shanghai on Fed 28 and was delivered in Denver on Mar 2 - I believe that is two days!
Glad to hear it! As long as it happens for some of us some of the time eh?

Mine was delivered this morning although my wife couldn't be home to receive it. We'll pick it up tonight at the depot. The 2-day shipping took from Shanghai 11am March 1st, to Iowa 8:52am March 6th. The package sat a distro center for almost 2 days before it resumed its trip to its destination.

Oh well. The waiting will officially end at 5pm today. Phew!

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2006, 12:40 AM

HAPPY ENDING

My wife Andrea is now enjoying her new laptop. She's been playing World of Warcraft all night and can't stop saying, "it's like playing a whole new game!" Yay! Happy wives is a good thing.

I haven't noticed anything technically undesirable:

No dead pixels.
No screen hum.
No cpu chirping.
No loud fan noises.

One little hiccup is that the laptop couldn't read a software CD that came with a Graphire tablet. I had to load it in my powermac and make an image to copy over to get the bundled software installed. Weird?

BroadwayTJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by AppleCello
On what day did you submit your order to Apple? thanks...
Order Date: Feb 8, 2006 at 03:20 PM PST

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 7, 2006, 01:40 AM

QEMU, does NOT run at near native speeds. that's just a straight lie. It's an emulator, and a super, super slow one at that. it's FAR slower than using virtualpc anyday.

They have been lying about that for weeks.

dec
Mar 7, 2006, 04:09 AM

Ok latest on mine. Ordered Jan25th 2.0ghz model. Left shanghai on the 21st of Feb. Currently on a ups van to be delivered to me today. So 10 days not counting the weekends. God I cant wait to get my hands on it

dec
Mar 7, 2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by dec
Ok latest on mine. Ordered Jan25th 2.0ghz model. Left shanghai on the 21st of Feb. Currently on a ups van to be delivered to me today. So 10 days not counting the weekends. God I cant wait to get my hands on it
ITS HERE no complaints so far everything working nicely. Now to learn how to use a mac

Finrock
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 06:30 AM

I knew it! Here's the e-mail I just got...

"Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s) by the date that you were recently quoted: Z0DF, MBPRO 15/2.0 CTO will now ship on or before Mar 14, 2006."

Original Ship Date: 2/24, then 3/6, now 3/14. So that will make it two months from January 13th, when the order was placed. Yay, more waiting!

-Finrock
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2006, 06:46 AM

Is it normal not to have gotten a shipping/shipped date when you order? Because I ordered mines on the 21st and it still shows as 3-4 weeks.

Fin, this fcukin' sux dude. This "unexpected delay" is really worrying me.

Seriously, if I have to wait till late March/April, I would rather cancel my order and wait for a price drop in May. I hate having to pay so much and wait eons for it, i would feel ripped off.

hmp
Mar 7, 2006, 07:42 AM

Finrock,

Did you order yours through the educational store? I'm starting to wonder if educational orders are more delayed then regular ones...

Originally Posted by Finrock
I knew it! Here's the e-mail I just got...

"Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s) by the date that you were recently quoted: Z0DF, MBPRO 15/2.0 CTO will now ship on or before Mar 14, 2006."

Original Ship Date: 2/24, then 3/6, now 3/14. So that will make it two months from January 13th, when the order was placed. Yay, more waiting!

-Finrock

alienfairy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2006, 09:24 AM

TNT (no FedEx for France apparently) confirmed yesterday that my MacBook is out for delivery today! I live in central Paris.

Ordered Feb. 1st from Apple Store France, and my first estimated shipping date was Feb 28, the 1,83 to 2.0 upgrade only delayed it for 3 days altogether.
It shipped from Shanghai on March 2nd (one day early compared to my new estimated date ) and arrives 2 days earlier than expected!

They're supposed to deliver anytime between 8am and 6 pm, now that's what I call a large estimate, (just plain cruel to me), it's 2:19 pm right now, no sign of Mr/Mrs TNT....

Finrock
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by hmp
Did you order yours through the educational store? I'm starting to wonder if educational orders are more delayed then regular ones...
Yes, mine is an educational purchase order. I ordered three iBooks the same day and got them within a matter of days. I was thinking of e-mailing my Apple rep but I feel like it is a moot point. I'm sure there is nothing she can do about it.

Oh well. Another exercise in patience.

-Finrock

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Finrock
Yes, mine is an educational purchase order. I ordered three iBooks the same day and got them within a matter of days. I was thinking of e-mailing my Apple rep but I feel like it is a moot point. I'm sure there is nothing she can do about it.

Oh well. Another exercise in patience.

-Finrock
if i were you i would call and tell them you want to chance our order due to all the delays. thats what i did yesterday...

the guy on the phone kept offering me stuff until i agreed to keep the order for now...

i got free express shipping (blah most seem to ship 2-day anyway)
a VERY slight discount ($25 nothing really because i already had the edu discount)
and a free backpack/carry case that retails for $59-$69 (this is REAL nice, and it shipped yesterday).

considering i had no plans to cancel, its not bad.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

alienfairy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2006, 11:12 AM

OK guys, MBP arrival here in Paris!!!! Beautiful! Coming to life right now (transferring data from my old ibook)

Rumz
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 11:37 AM

So no one who ordered after Feb. 8th has gotten shipment notification then?
MacBook Pro: 2.16ghz, 2GB, 100GB@7200RPM

CincyGamer
Mar 7, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rumz
So no one who ordered after Feb. 8th has gotten shipment notification then?
I have the same config as you and have the same ordering and shipping dates. This sucks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules