Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Digital Camera Questions.

Digital Camera Questions.
skalie
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 01:43 PM

I bought an iBook for many reasons, one was to use it as portable memory for a digital camera, once they were cheap enough.

The local supermarket has something that looks interesting next week.

(The ALDI for any Europeans reading this, they sell computer hardware for cost price as a publicity stunt).

4.1 megapixels (2,272 x 1,704 pixels), 2x digital zoom and "macro function for extreme closeups", all for � 389, about $US 430 I believe.

The advertisement doesn't mention an optical zoom, but the picture has "Aspherical Lense, Zoom 8-24mm/F3.4-3.6" written on it. Can anyone translate that for me?

My second question is if anyone knows what they would be talking about when they say "macro function for extreme closeups". Magnifying the image on the display as one would do in photoshop?

I point in the direction of another thread discussing this or a digital camera-newbie-friendly-forum would also be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: skalie ]

strepidus
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2002, 04:09 PM

What do you mean "The advertisement doesn't mention an optical zoom?" Doesn't it say "2x optical zoom?" As for the Macro function, that's there because normally, if you put the camera like 4 inches away from something you want to photograph, it will be very blurry. The macro mode makes sure close-ups come out sharp, but doesn't add any magnification.

IMO, a 4.1 megapixel camera for $430 is an awesome deal. The only think I'd be concerned about is the 2x optical zoom, since that's not a great deal (my 2 megapixel camera has 2x zoom). Also, do you know what brand/model the camera is? If you do, you can go to a site like www.stevesdigicams.com that has numerous reviews of almost all models.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by strepidus:
<STRONG>What do you mean "The advertisement doesn't mention an optical zoom?" Doesn't it say "2x optical zoom?" </STRONG>
Good point, and oops.

I edited the original post.

(The advertisement mentions a "2x digital zoom")

My bad, but the lack of decent optical zoom is the only thing holding me back from borrowing the readies to get this baby.

Specs (dutch) should be available in a day or two, www.aldi.com, click on Netherlands.

If anyone is curious as to what I'm rabbitting on about.

Edit: Brand is Medion, model MD 9700

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: skalie ]

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2002, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by skalie:
<STRONG>... F3.4-3.6" written on it. Can anyone translate that for me?
</STRONG>
Not good. The amount of light entering the lens is rearly fixed and can't be adjusted very much. I wouldn't go near this camera.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: msuper69 ]

nitram_again
Apr 25, 2002, 09:22 AM

Does it claim Mac compatibility? If it doesn't ...

I suppose you could get a usb memory card reader for the ibook and transfer pics that way, but it would be easier if it was mac compatible out of the box.
_ _ _ _____________ _ _ _
Martin

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
<STRONG>

Not good. The amount of light entering the lens is rearly fixed and can't be adjusted very much. I wouldn't go near this camera.
</STRONG>
When you criticise the lense is that from experience as a digital camera user?

Photo too dark, import into photoshop, adjust brightness.

Or am I missing the point. (quite likely, I'm new to this)

I should have mentioned that the primary use of the camera will be to make baby photos, I'm not wanting to win any awards with the thing.

The lack of features, i.e. less buttons will be a plus point.

What attracts me to the thing essentially is the resolution.

The way I read is that I can take a huge photo, 2272 x 1704, then pick out a 400 x 300 pixel "photo" without losing any quality.

There is also the "waiting for cameras to get cheaper" vs "baby getting older" quotient running here.

Any input appreciated.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by nitram_again:
<STRONG>Does it claim Mac compatibility? If it doesn't ...

I suppose you could get a usb memory card reader for the ibook and transfer pics that way, but it would be easier if it was mac compatible out of the box.</STRONG>
Excellent question.

Are there compatibility issues involving digital cameras, usb connections and Macintosh?

Software issue?

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 09:41 PM

Bump.

I was being a bit keen, but the thing is being advertised online now.
http://www.aldi.com/ click on Netherlands, click on "ALDI-actueel".

I'm not trying to spam the thing, it just seems cheap enough to go for.

Positive points in my view....

* price
* loadsa pixels (who needs a zoom?)
* lack of features (ever missed a shot because you couldn't work out which button to push?)

Possible killer....

* if it aint gonna talk to my iBook on the USB.

I would very much appreciate any reactions about the compatibility issue.

Edit: Link

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: skalie ]

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 06:42 AM

From here.......
http://www.dealnn.com/index.php?peripherals_ex=true

Medion deal from Aldi Foods
Aldi Foods is selling a 4.1 megapixel digital camera made by Medion for $299 next week. A print ad indicates that the unit has a Sony 4.1mp CCD (2272 x1704 pixels), a Ricoh 3x optical zoom lens (38-114mm) and comes with a 64MB Compact Flash card -- in addition to rechargeable batteries and charger, AC adapter, and 1 year warranty).

Looks like it will be available in the States as well.

So it does indeed have a optical zoom.

Excuse me for topping this again, but can anyone advise me about compatibility issues with digicams, is it simply the matter of a driver.

Edit: Oops offer expired 24 April, so did anyone buy one?

ReEdit: Availiable from April 29 according to http://dealmac.com/articles/34255.html

Anyone going to buy one?

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: skalie ]

[ 04-27-2002: Message edited by: skalie ]

<MacCoach>
Apr 27, 2002, 02:38 PM

The camera looks the same as the Jenoptik JD 4100 z3, which does have Mac drivers according to the following review:

&lt;http://www.chip.de/news_stories/news_stories_8722165.html&gt;

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by &lt;MacCoach&gt;:
<STRONG>The camera looks the same as the Jenoptik JD 4100 z3, which does have Mac drivers according to the following review:

&lt;http://www.chip.de/news_stories/news_stories_8722165.html&gt;</STRONG>
Thanks, looks like it going to be compatable.

Looking at the other cameras they reviewed, 9 out of 12 were over the 1000 euro mark.

I'm going to go for it.

nitram_again
Apr 27, 2002, 10:39 PM

Take your iBook into the shop and try it. That'd be the easiest test for compatibility.
_ _ _ _____________ _ _ _
Martin

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by nitram_again:
<STRONG>Take your iBook into the shop and try it. That'd be the easiest test for compatibility.</STRONG>
It's a supermarket jobbie.

They would get all upset if you started to open boxes in the name of technology.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 10:25 AM

Finaly found the english stats.
http://www.nomatica.co.uk/photo/jd4100z3EN.htm#af

The actual one I'm planning to buy has the brand name Medion, is half the price at 350 euro, and has twice the memory (32 MB).

It being sold tomorrow, any last moment opinions?

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 11:06 AM

Couple things:
1. Be wary of digital zoom. It doesn't do any thing that cropping and enlarging in Photoshop later wouldn't do. Shoot without the digital zoom, and you will be able to achieve the same effect later if you desire.
2. Sounds like the optical zoom is figured out - most smaller digicams only have 2x or 3x zooms. Check out www.dpreview.com. To get bigger zooms, you usually have to spend a lot more money.
3. Compatibility is a crap shoot if nobody can say for sure that it works. However, the nice thing with digicams is that you can buy a card reader that will work with mac/iphoto. If you have a large memory card, a firewire reader can be mighty handy. So, even if it isn't compatible, assuming it takes compact flash (or something similar) just factor in an extra $30-50 for an external reader.

<skalie>
May 1, 2002, 05:14 PM

For the few that bothered to post in this thread.

I bought the thing, it works perfect.

Unexpectly I found that it had Adobe Photoshop 5.0 included in the package.

I could be wrong but that covers the price of the camera as far as I am concerned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules