Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The Whine

The Whine
trinlyovarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2006, 12:26 AM

So I've read up a lot about the whining noise from the MBP and determined that mine had it as well... I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for all the comments on the web, I was just amazed with everything else.

But one thing I discovered that I hadn't read on the interweb before was that it only happens to me when I'm running on battery and not on power. What could this be due to? Aside from the battery, what else would work only when not connected to AC power?

Apple is reluctantly sending me a replacement since I have a heavily bent top to my casing. Hopefully it'll turn out better rather than not... just wondering if anyone else notices the whine only when on battery power.

SLam
May 13, 2006, 08:46 PM

Initially I only had the whine while on battery power. Now there's a new whine while on power and the old whine + new whine while on battery. Probably the firmware update caused the new whine. Whatever caused it, the mirror widget does the trick in silencing the whine.
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GB | 100 GB | 10.5.1stevelam.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules