Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is the MacBook Pro any less attractive now with the release of the MacBook Non-Pro?

Is the MacBook Pro any less attractive now with the release of the MacBook Non-Pro?
trinlyovarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 05:18 PM

Well... is it?

Not to me... but just wondering.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 05:20 PM

The only thing that makes the MBP's unappealing is the quality control. I have never seen such garbage come out of Apple before.

And yes this is WORSE than the PB5300 as only one caught on fire and it was because of the Sony battery.

Just about 100% of MBP's have some sort of problem and the media coverage of the problems is much wider than the PB5300's.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

skyman
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
The only thing that makes the MBP's unappealing is the quality control. I have never seen such garbage come out of Apple before.

And yes this is WORSE than the PB5300 as only one caught on fire and it was because of the Sony battery.

Just about 100% of MBP's have some sort of problem and the media coverage of the problems is much wider than the PB5300's.
Agreed!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 05:24 PM

Personally I don't even believe the odd person who says the MBP doesn't have a whine. Either they have bad hearing or don't know how to create the conditions that cause it.

No way there is 1 in 100 that are whine free.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 05:37 PM

the Macbook does not include a video card, therefore is completely useless to me. Otherwise, it would've been considered.

ibook_steve
May 16, 2006, 06:43 PM

Saying 100% of anything is just asking for trouble. You're making a huge assumption about non-readers of this forum who may have a perfectly fine MBP, and you know what happens when you ASS-U-ME.

The only thing unattractive to me about MacBook is the integrated graphics chip. The black is sweet, but I want ATI graphics. As I stated in the thread that got locked, MacBook blurs the line between consumer and pro machines, the only differences now being screen size and the GPU. Other than that, my eyes are definitely on the lower priced 2 GHZ 15" MBP now despite the myriad of complaints I read here..

Steve

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 07:37 PM

Personally I don't even believe the odd person who says the MBP doesn't have a whine. Either they have bad hearing or don't know how to create the conditions that cause it.

No way there is 1 in 100 that are whine free.
I've had my MBP for over a month now and I assure you there is no whine detectable yet on mine. I have played graphics intensive games, applied updates, surfed the web and there is not only no whine, but hardly any sounds at all coming from my machine. I know a lot of rev A MBP do have the whine and I truly symphathize with them and hope that apple does address the quality control issues.

Oh yeah, and my hearing is perfectly normal!

If 100% of rev A MBP's had a whine there would be a recall. People come to these forums to complain--therefore there is a concentration of dissatisfied customers here. I doubt there is a sinlge version of an Ibook, Powerbook, MBP or Macbook that either has or will in the future escape being complained about here by someone.

macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 08:31 PM

My MacBook Pro works flawlessly. I love it!

dweeks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 09:47 PM

Mine does -not- whine. No bad pixels, to boot.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
If 100% of rev A MBP's had a whine there would be a recall.
The G5 towers rev A all had 100% whines and they were not recalled. Apple called it normal just like they are about the whine in the MBP.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

PeterKG
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 10:33 PM

I am not at all unhappy with my MBP, even after the release of the MB. This is the best computer I have ever owned.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 11:03 PM

The new MacBooks are quite impressive, for sure.
But I've opted to go with a MacBook Pro for one main reason: the ability to support the 30" display.

I've descided to replace my two desktop machines (one DP 2.5GHz G5 PowerMac, one AthlonXP 3200+ PC) and my 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook with a single machine. My desktop Mac is presently connected to an Apple 30" Cinema Display, and obviously I want to keep it, so that effectively rules out the MacBook. Though for portability, I'd have preferred the 13" form factor over the 15". The slightly faster 2.16GHz option doesn't hurt either.

So, despite the new machines, today I bought a 15" MacBook Pro 2.16GHz w/ the 7200 rpm 100GB drive (they had a few of these special configs in stock at my local Apple store - not the "new" stock 2.16GHz w/ 100GB 5200 rpm drive).

I'm pretty darn happy. Dual booting OS X and WinXP (small 5.5GB partition) and it runs like a charm docked as a desktop to my 30" cinema display, gigabit ethernet network volumes, external keyboard and mighty mouse. It's equal/greater in speed compared to my 2.5GHz G5 tower when running native Intel apps (which actually the vast bulk of my apps are w/ exception of occasional MS Word/Excel/Powerpoint use. Native iWork '06, iLife '06, Safari/Mail/iCal, Aperture, Osirix, GraphicConverter all run like butter. Osirix in fact runs FASTER with less RAM than it does on my G5!

/sorry... I know you all don't really care that much, but I've got to tell someone My wife just doesn't get the geek factor like I do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules