Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Uppercase/Lowercase Labels?

Uppercase/Lowercase Labels?
trinlyovarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 07:37 PM

I hope this is the right forum... searched but didn't find much. I know it's a stupid question/concern but it's sort of bugging me, so here goes:

I have two partitions showing up in my Finder and Desktop. One is for OS X (called Macintosh HD) and the other for Windows XP (called Windows XP) under Boot Camp. I keep renaming the Windows partition to Windows XP but it keeps reverting it to WINDOWS XP whenever I reboot. Is there a workaround for this? It's annoying...

Here's a picture for reference:

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 10:17 PM

You're pretty much stuck with it, AFAIK. It's a Windows thing...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

trinlyovarin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:19 PM

Are you guys seeing the picture I posted? It doesn't show up for me...

Windows is being pretty annoying with Boot Camp... too bad Photoshop is almost unusable for me with Rosetta.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 10:28 PM

I'm assuming your Windows XP partition is FAT32. FAT32 doesn't support multi-case volume names -- they just default to all uppercase when in OS X. My NTFS Boot Camp partition remains an anal retentive "Windows XP". ;-)

trinlyovarin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 10:29 PM

But I thought OS X couldn't read/write to NTFS formatted drives? That's the only reason I formatted mine as FAT32.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 01:55 AM

It can read NTFS, but not write.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2006, 07:59 AM

Wrong forum-this is about Windows on a Mac, not about OS X, so it goes in the Alternative OS forum. And it IS a Windows thing. Specifically, as Tomchu says, FAT32 volumes uppercase their labels and there's nothing you can do about it. Me, I'd change it to just "XP" and take advantage of the fact that this label is inherently uppercase.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn_230
But I thought OS X couldn't read/write to NTFS formatted drives? That's the only reason I formatted mine as FAT32.
To rename a NTFS formatted Windows partition, get Properties on C: within Windows and one of the tabs in there will allow you to rename it. Mac OS X will respect this name change, different cases and all.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn_230
OS X cannot write to an NTFS volume, but it CAN READ from one. That's the really frustrating part for some people.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules