Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How can I found out what's stopping my Mac from sleeping?

How can I found out what's stopping my Mac from sleeping?
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2007, 04:10 AM

This intermittent problem has bugged me for years - every version of OS X (and several Macs) has done it for me in that quite often my Mac doesn't go to sleep when it is supposed to. It's set to sleep after 10 minutes activity, but again this morning I found my Mac wide wake (albeit with the screen black) and had been all night. Logging out and back in cures it for a while but this drives me nuts. What log file do I need to look at and what should I look for?

Any help appreciated!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Macrat
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2007, 09:22 AM

This happens to me all the time as well, I would also like to know how to find that out. I usually only have Mail, Firefox and maybe Photoshop running.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 10:46 AM

I found that if I leave my scanner on, it prevents my mac from going into sleep mode.

If you have a scanner take a look at that as a potential culprit. If not, look towards other usb devices you may have connected to your mac.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 9, 2007, 01:21 PM

USB devices are good culprits to look at. Older expansion cards don't always support sleep either. Check Energy Saver -> Options -> Wake Options.

DewD
Nov 9, 2007, 02:07 PM

If your Mac won;t go to Sleep , run Activity Monitor and select " All Processes" and see what's happening.

I have noticed that HP scanning and photo software sometimes goes runaway. HP stuff at system root level will take up 400 Mb of real RAM memory and over a Gig of virtual memory , and demand 75-90 percent of available CPU capacity. Especially a little item called "hpdot4d" , whose parent process is "hpusbmond". When my Mac slows way down , Activity Monitor reports that a process called " HP Product Research " is frozen and not responding. ( easy to spot...it's in red typeface). Quitting that Process using Activity Monitor usually puts the Mac right back up to full speed. ( for what it's worth , I'm running the latest HP software on G4 machines. But HP has not updated their Mac packages for almost two years now... )

Hewlett-Packard must've hired junior high kids to write their OS-X code. It's the only applications I have any trouble with at all. HP may not be what's causing your issue, but it's what's causing mine....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 02:11 PM

I'm pretty sure Mail prevents sleep by polling the network constantly.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 02:41 PM

No I don't think that's it.

My mac has always entered sleep mode automatically or manual intervention.

On the other hand, when I leave my scanner on, and select sleep it goes into sleep mode for a second or two and then wakes right up. The same could be said after x minutes of inactivity its supposed to go into sleep mode but if the scanner is on, it goes down for a couple of seconds and then wakes right up.

I always have my mall client open and its never once prevented the computer from sleeping.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 02:50 PM

Remove any software installed by HP and/or Symantec.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules