Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > General ?s about iMacs and 24"

General ?s about iMacs and 24"
plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2006, 03:06 PM

I've been intrigued by the new 24" iMac and am considering a purchase, but would like to know a few things about the audio and video from iMac owners and others who are familiar with the line.

I originally bought a Mac Mini because it allowed me the flexibility of choosing my own audio system and monitor; now the iMac comes witha bigger screen and audio out so I can duplicate and yet simplify my current setup. However, if I want to eliminate the clutter of extra speakers but maintain the audio processing from my audio receiver, can I route the system audio through the audio out for processing and bring it back in through the audio in to be played by the internal speakers? If not, is there a software solution for this (either system-level 3D audio processing software or something to route the audio)?

As for audio quality, does the 24" iMac have the same internal audio system as the others in the line? How is the sound from iMac internal speakers in general? I would be adding a floorstanding woofer for bass.

Also, I also like to turn off my monitor when I'm not using it--does the iMac actually turn off the monitor when not in use, or just go into standby? It's my understanding that large monitors still use a significant amount of power in standby mode so this issue is important to me. How does the backlight look? Any problems with uneven illumination?

I understand this model is new, any information or insight would be a big help.

Thanks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2006, 06:32 PM

The speakers in the iMac aren't that great, and I don't think OSX would allow what you want to do with routing the audio out and back in. I'd stick with your current speakers.

The monitor is dark when the computer is on standby, and I don't think LCDs use much power when on standby anyway.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2006, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
The speakers in the iMac aren't that great
The iMac 24" has a very different audio system than the previous models and even the current Core 2 Duo models. I don't know yet if it sounds better though, since I haven't one seen/heard a 24" in the flesh yet.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
The iMac 24" has a very different audio system than the previous models and even the current Core 2 Duo models. I don't know yet if it sounds better though, since I haven't one seen/heard a 24" in the flesh yet.
Twice the wattage... anything else?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2006, 09:56 PM

I know there's an app somewhere that lets you route sound whereever...you might be able to do that.
Something like Detour maybe?

mulletman13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2006, 11:51 PM

Detour is not supported on Intel Macs at all -- it will not run under Rosetta, and the developers sent me a couple nasty emails when I asked them to port it or release it open source.

I wish there was something like it that was as easy to use =\

plastiqueusa  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2006, 12:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up on Rogue Amoeba--I sent them an email about this issue. With their experience, hopefully they'll be willing to help me out.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Twice the wattage... anything else?
Twice the wattage often (but not always) means different speaker drivers.

We'll have to hear how well it sounds once we get the actual units, instead of just assuming it's as bad as current units. I can do a comparison when I get my 24", cuz I already have a G5 20".

And anyway, I think my 20" is OK. Not great, but Good Enough for me to get rid of my dedicated speaker system in my computer room. The sound isn't as good, but I prefer reclaiming all that saved space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules