Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple is replacing my 1GHz TiBook...

Apple is replacing my 1GHz TiBook...
StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2002, 03:47 PM

Well, after two weeks of owning the new 1 GHz TiBook, 4 annoying dead pixels appeared right in the middle of the screen. Actually, there are 5 - since one has two of them stuck together which makes it very noticeable. None of them are lit pixels, just stone cold dead. You can see them with any color or picture viewed. I messaged them for a while - nothing. How did they just appear? Nothing happened to the display that would justify this. Very odd.

So, I was willing to deal with the loud and overactive fans in hopes of Apple releasing a Firmware update. But then the dead pixels popped up and my TiBook experience was slowly turning sour. I was starting to use the TiBook less and use my (ironically huge, powerful, yet very quiet) PC more. I keep asking myself how is it that my 3GHz PC with a 200GB hard drive be almost inaudible where my cool little 1" thick TiBook sounds like a hair blower after 3 minutes of no use or CPU activity under 25%? Why was it that my 17" LCD Display with a much higher resolution with tons more pixels not have one dead one? Who knows.

Then, just when things couldn't get any worse, the AC Adapter started to become a bit unresponsive and would need a wiggle to properly connect. This has been going on for a week. At first I thought it was just a fluke, then it started to act up consistently. Now, it won't connect at all (show the green light) unless I wiggle it and push it in very (unnaturally) hard. Well, that did it. Here I was with a $2850 notebook that I was starting to dread using due to excessive fan activity and distracting noise. Also, now unable to charge on the fly due to a bad AC connection and obvious multiple dead pixels on the screen that haunted me whenever I'd look at it. I felt something had to be done and sending it in for 'repair' was not an option for me - not on a 2 week old 'pro line' notebook.

I called AppleCare and explained to a tech the problems I was having. I then told him that I felt my PowerBook was not up to spec and asked for a replacement. At first, he immediately said NO! Since my system was customized it couldn't be returned and a replacement was out of the question since it didn't meet Apple's 'DOA' standard. In a rage (but without getting crazy) I asked to speak with someone from a higher level. I was transferred to a tech manager who informed me that a replacement is out of the question and to send the unit in for repair. I reminded him that I am a very good Apple customer and drop several thousand dollars per year on Apple products. I told him that (from his claim) I couldn't believe the audacity of Apple for assuming that I shouldn't have a normal functioning and working TiBook out of the box like everyone else, yet still pay the same price. The gall to suggest that I send it in for repair even though the machine is only a couple of weeks old and was babied like a piece of fine china yet still has multiple problems. I informed him that I know how these things work and that I understood that his job was to try to appease unhappy customers like me and make them believe that a return is not going to happen and to settle for a repair which will ultimately safe Apple money. He didn't respond. I politely said that he was not helpful with my situation and that I needed to speak with a decision maker, not someone who can only recite from a book of guidelines and rules. I was transferred again where I had the chance to calmly explain the issues I was having to a higher level. After a few responds from him like, 'really?', 'wow', and 'that shouldn't be', I was granted a replacement within 1 minute. I guess if you make it through level 2, they don't try to talk you out of it and all of a sudden the 'rules' that level one claims are 'written in stone' are quickly changed.

As promised less than an hour later I received a phone call from a customer satisfaction rep with details of my new order. They are duplicating and processing my original order as it was first placed. The rep is a very friendly well spoken woman who was very apologetic and was overwhelmingly helpful in every way. She said that the order process with start immediately and the new PowerBook will start to be assembled on Monday. On top of that, she issued a $150 credit to the original amount of my order for my 'troubles'. I never asked for this, she just offered it to me after hearing the issues I've had which the AppleCare reps didn't think was a problem and simply shrugged off. Perhaps she saw my order history in system as well.

What I found interesting was that she said that it will ship out from Taiwan and 'if that was okay'. So I said, well where else do they ship from? She said that they have several facilities where the PowerBooks are made and Taiwan was just one of them. Another main location is a facility in California. I thought this was odd since most people say that they are 'all' made in Taiwan. She said if I wanted to wait a few minutes she could see if she could get it built and shipped from the California location to save shipping time. But, to be honest, I am not a fan of 'American Made' (think cars), so the Taiwan shipment is fine with me. Perhaps she was confused and that facility in California is really just a warehouse where they have new TiBooks that were in fact shipped in from Taiwan? Not sure.

Anyway, I am very glad that now I have a name and direct extension for a very nice and helpful customer care rep who told me to give her a call directly if I ever need help with issues with Apple and their products. She renewed my faith in Apple and their products and made me feel 100% better about my purchase. I am even happier that I am getting my PowerBook replaced with a brand new one which will be overnighted (well, 2-day since it's overseas) along with a $150 credit. Now, I only hope that the replacement will have less or NO dead pixels and perhaps quieter and less active fans. But, if nothing else, I'd be happy with an AC adapter connection that is solid and at least a 3 less dead pixels (I'd even settle for lit ones since they are less noticeable). We shall see when it arrives.

Sorry for the novel, just wanted to pass along the info just incase you find yourself in the same situation. Taking action like this is what makes computer makers wake up and address issues with their products even if they and their die-hard following choose to live with them.
( Last edited by StiZeven; Dec 7, 2002 at 03:52 PM. )

gregincolumbus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by StiZeven:
Well, after two weeks of owning the new 1 GHz TiBook, 4 annoying dead pixels appeared right in the middle of the screen. Actually, there are 5 - since one has two of them stuck together which makes it very noticeable. None of them are lit pixels, just stone cold dead. You can see them with any color or picture viewed. I messaged them for a while - nothing. How did they just appear? Nothing happened to the display that would justify this. Very odd.

So, I was willing to deal with the loud and overactive fans in hopes of Apple releasing a Firmware update. But then the dead pixels popped up and my TiBook experience was slowly turning sour. I was starting to use the TiBook less and use my (ironically huge, powerful, yet very quiet) PC more. I keep asking myself how is it that my 3GHz PC with a 200GB hard drive be almost inaudible where my cool little 1" thick TiBook sounds like a hair blower after 3 minutes of no use or CPU activity under 25%? Why was it that my 17" LCD Display with a much higher resolution with tons more pixels not have one dead one? Who knows.

Then, just when things couldn't get any worse, the AC Adapter started to become a bit unresponsive and would need a wiggle to properly connect. This has been going on for a week. At first I thought it was just a fluke, then it started to act up consistently. Now, it won't connect at all (show the green light) unless I wiggle it and push it in very (unnaturally) hard. Well, that did it. Here I was with a $2850 notebook that I was starting to dread using due to excessive fan activity and distracting noise. Also, now unable to charge on the fly due to a bad AC connection and obvious multiple dead pixels on the screen that haunted me whenever I'd look at it. I felt something had to be done and sending it in for 'repair' was not an option for me - not on a 2 week old 'pro line' notebook.

I called AppleCare and explained to a tech the problems I was having. I then told him that I felt my PowerBook was not up to spec and asked for a replacement. At first, he immediately said NO! Since my system was customized it couldn't be returned and a replacement was out of the question since it didn't meet Apple's 'DOA' standard. In a rage (but without getting crazy) I asked to speak with someone from a higher level. I was transferred to a tech manager who informed me that a replacement is out of the question and to send the unit in for repair. I reminded him that I am a very good Apple customer and drop several thousand dollars per year on Apple products. I told him that (from his claim) I couldn't believe the audacity of Apple for assuming that I shouldn't have a normal functioning and working TiBook out of the box like everyone else, yet still pay the same price. The gall to suggest that I send it in for repair even though the machine is only a couple of weeks old and was babied like a piece of fine china yet still has multiple problems. I informed him that I know how these things work and that I understood that his job was to try to appease unhappy customers like me and make them believe that a return is not going to happen and to settle for a repair which will ultimately safe Apple money. He didn't respond. I politely said that he was not helpful with my situation and that I needed to speak with a decision maker, not someone who can only recite from a book of guidelines and rules. I was transferred again where I had the chance to calmly explain the issues I was having to a higher level. After a few responds from him like, 'really?', 'wow', and 'that shouldn't be', I was granted a replacement within 1 minute. I guess if you make it through level 2, they don't try to talk you out of it and all of a sudden the 'rules' that level one claims are 'written in stone' are quickly changed.

As promised less than an hour later I received a phone call from a customer satisfaction rep with details of my new order. They are duplicating and processing my original order as it was first placed. The rep is a very friendly well spoken woman who was very apologetic and was overwhelmingly helpful in every way. She said that the order process with start immediately and the new PowerBook will start to be assembled on Monday. On top of that, she issued a $150 credit to the original amount of my order for my 'troubles'. I never asked for this, she just offered it to me after hearing the issues I've had which the AppleCare reps didn't think was a problem and simply shrugged off. Perhaps she saw my order history in system as well.

What I found interesting was that she said that it will ship out from Taiwan and 'if that was okay'. So I said, well where else do they ship from? She said that they have several facilities where the PowerBooks are made and Taiwan was just one of them. Another main location is a facility in California. I thought this was odd since most people say that they are 'all' made in Taiwan. She said if I wanted to wait a few minutes she could see if she could get it built and shipped from the California location to save shipping time. But, to be honest, I am not a fan of 'American Made' (think cars), so the Taiwan shipment is fine with me. Perhaps she was confused and that facility in California is really just a warehouse where they have new TiBooks that were in fact shipped in from Taiwan? Not sure.

Anyway, I am very glad that now I have a name and direct extension for a very nice and helpful customer care rep who told me to give her a call directly if I ever need help with issues with Apple and their products. She renewed my faith in Apple and their products and made me feel 100% better about my purchase. I am even happier that I am getting my PowerBook replaced with a brand new one which will be overnighted (well, 2-day since it's overseas) along with a $150 credit. Now, I only hope that the replacement will have less or NO dead pixels and perhaps quieter and less active fans. But, if nothing else, I'd be happy with an AC adapter connection that is solid and at least a 3 less dead pixels (I'd even settle for lit ones since they are less noticeable). We shall see when it arrives.

Sorry for the novel, just wanted to pass along the info just incase you find yourself in the same situation. Taking action like this is what makes computer makers wake up and address issues with their products even if they and their die-hard following choose to live with them.
Mine is also being replaced (classified as DOA at the local Apple Store). But my experience was quite painless. No hassles, not problems. My issue was a blotchy, bleached screen image of about 3 inches in the center of the screen. Looked like a cloud on the screen. One look and they were willing to give me a new one. Have to send mine in and they will swap it out...no problem.

Good support!

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2002, 04:13 PM

I'm glad you've had a good experience with Apple's tech support. However, in my case, I've been given the handoff to so many departments without any help. They've just been trying to stall me for almost a week now. If you could, do you think you could give me the name and number of the representative you're speaking of? Maybe she'd be able to get things moving for me. Thanks!
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2002, 04:58 PM

Mine won't be replaced -- yet.

Mine's going in for service next week (also being "customized") and then we'll see what's going to happen.

In the meanwhile I'm going to get a loaner from Apple since I'm voice handicapped and use the computer as a voice aid. At least something to be happy about. But what a pain to set it up to work before shipping out the TiBook.

I sure hope it'll be fixed so I don't have to send it out again, or have to set up yet another computer before I finally can feel I can do the work I need to do on my machine.
/Petra

Cellery
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 05:05 PM

I had a similar experience when my 1GHz PowerBook arrived with paint that looked shoddy around the bezel and started bubbling and coming off in the first week. I'm waiting on a replacement now. Bottom line is that if you stick to your guns, you'll get things accomplished. There were times when I was stonewalled by Apple reps and just gave up when I had numerous problems with my Lombard.

austinjackson
Dec 7, 2002, 05:29 PM

Just three of the hundreds of similar stories that would be prevented with Quality Control.
Austin Jackson
EducatorsHandbook.com - because great decisions are based on great data.

StiZeven  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 10:41 AM

I couldn't give the name and number for the customer care rep that I dealt with since I was assigned to her from another level of support, and they are assigned to deal with individual customers on an internal referred basis only with unique case numbers attached to each. Once a replacement is finally granted, someone from the higher level customer care calls YOU and that is your own rep who you deal with from that point on. They don't (and can't) take random calls from consumer unless they (and their case#) are assigned to them.

I would suggest calling back regular support and be more persistent, you may get a tech manager who will give up and setup a replacement. At the first and second level, it all depends on who you get on the phone. Keep hanging up and trying new tech managers - they will at a certain point, break. I went from two techs saying 'a replacement is not going to happen and there is nothing we can do to change that', to another tech on the same level saying, 'okay sir, you're going to be getting a new replacement system'. It's their job to try and sway you towards a repair and that is what they will try on you at first. Some will try harder than others. You have to be stern with them and insist that you deserve a working machine out of the box not from box to repair shop. Just state your case, be persistent and remain calm and cool headed without getting nuts on them!

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 10:49 AM

i completely agree. this has been slipping lately. i think because apple is trying so fiercely to stay out of the red, selling crazy amounts of ipods (windows ipods too no doubt) and trying to get every switcher in sight.

thats all good and well but they need to adhere to their own quality standards that they have done so well to establish over the years.

if they arent careful they will be following in microsofts footsteps.

l�k

Originally posted by austinjackson:
Just three of the hundreds of similar stories that would be prevented with Quality Control.
iron sharpens iron

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 02:29 PM

I was talking with my Company IT manager (10,000 employees). We use Macs in the Creative areas and Dells/Compaq/Gateway is all the others. His opinion is that QC is dropping industry wide. The company just replaced 250 Dell Laptops for the Senior Managers and 75 had to be sent back for all kinds of stuff: Screens, DOA, Cracked Cases, Bad Batteries, fried memory.

I have found the trick with Apple is be calm, nice, and willing to go through the process with them. I know it's hard to do when you got a bump computer that you just spent thousands on, but it's the best way. I had a Pismo that had a fried processor board, got it replaced only to have the track pad go dead, then the screen, then the hard drive. I wanted a replacement but Apple wouldn't budge, so I went along with them and after the 5 trip to AppleCare for repairs I got a nice new perfect Pismo with all the Data from my orginal moved on to it.
"This is fun, right?"

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2002, 02:40 PM

Apple's support reminds me of a shoddy insurance company. Their most important rule is: Deny all claims and continue denying claims until the customer gives up. It's nice to see people standing up to Apple. Maybe if this happens enough, Apple will be forced to implement some kind of decent QC. In the last few years it's been substandard at best.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

vsurfer
Senior User
Dec 8, 2002, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
Apple's support reminds me of a shoddy insurance company. Their most important rule is: Deny all claims and continue denying claims until the customer gives up. It's nice to see people standing up to Apple. Maybe if this happens enough, Apple will be forced to implement some kind of decent QC. In the last few years it's been substandard at best.
Let's just say my post-sale (and we're talking nearly 4G's here) service experience at Apple Store in NYC was waaay below expectations. Apple could tarnish their rep if they deliver "high-handed" customer care. Someone up the ladder is ultimately responsible for taking care of the "attitude" department--hope they are on to it.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 07:57 PM

I haven't had any problems with Apple notebooks. That's just me, though. All the problems I've had are relating to crappy TiBook build quality (which was to be expected) on the original machines.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 09:03 PM

Apple has always been extremely helpful and responsive with me. The one time I needed a repair on my Cube, it was back in no time at all, as good as new. Tech support has always been helpful, although they assume you know nothing (as they should).

I do remember reading Apple's customer support team was rated pretty well, somewhat above average. I've dealt with Dell before and they are a friggen nightmare, plus their laptops have way more Quality Control issues.

Please kindly remember that people come to boards like these when they have problems, not when they have successes. I've helped a lot of people buy and maintain Macs and it has been a wonderful experience overall.

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 09:18 PM

yeah the soho store has some real attitudnal young hot shots in it that know absolutely nothing. there are a few good ones there but alot of them just think its cool to be working at apple in soho. and are clueless that they are actually working in a computer store.

l�k

nally posted by vsurfer:

Let's just say my post-sale (and we're talking nearly 4G's here) service experience at Apple Store in NYC was waaay below expectations. Apple could tarnish their rep if they deliver "high-handed" customer care. Someone up the ladder is ultimately responsible for taking care of the "attitude" department--hope they are on to it.
[/QUOTE]
iron sharpens iron

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Apple has always been extremely helpful and responsive with me. The one time I needed a repair on my Cube, it was back in no time at all, as good as new. Tech support has always been helpful, although they assume you know nothing (as they should).

I do remember reading Apple's customer support team was rated pretty well, somewhat above average. I've dealt with Dell before and they are a friggen nightmare, plus their laptops have way more Quality Control issues.

Please kindly remember that people come to boards like these when they have problems, not when they have successes. I've helped a lot of people buy and maintain Macs and it has been a wonderful experience overall.
I've had quite the opposite experience with Dell and Gateway for that matter. I worked as a network engineer for a company that used solely dell laptops and workstations. We had something like 5000 workstations and 1000 laptops. Rarely had any issues with any of them and if we did, they overnighted a replacement machine.

Of course you might think that they did this solely b/c it was a small business client but my friend had a dell. It had a very slight cosmetic issue which if the truth be known I think was caused by him but once again, Dell overnighted him a brand new one. My personal experience with Gateway has been the same way when it comes to laptops and the desktops my family owns. Very rare problems but when they do exist whether or not its caused by the owner or machine defect, a new part or whole new machine has always been overnighted and the customer service from both companies has been WAY above expectations.

Maybe that's why I have been so disappointed with Apple's customer service, QC, and replacement policy or lack there of -- I've just been spoiled by the likes of Dell and Gateway.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

one09jason
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 09:45 AM

Well it's hard to hear, but I'm glad someone is willing to say it. I think you're right here. The thing that mistifies me is that Apple's profit margins are so valuable to them that they expend time effort and money supporting this sort of deny-everything policy. Seems to me that any losses incurred from fixing customers machines or improving QC so that they don't have to fix customers machines would be easily offset by an increase in sales from high customer satisfaction. But I must be wrong because the only alternative is that they do it out of stupidity, and I just can't believe that.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2002, 10:07 AM

I've had no issues with any of the three Apples I've purchased in the last five months. Not one. Every time I called Apple with a question (mostly order tracking/shipping info), they've been very helpful. On my new 1GHz TiBook, I even got the store to swap the old stuff out for free (no $30 "service charge").

iThink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2002, 10:57 AM

Wow. What stories. Mine is eerily similar.

I bought a 667Mhz DVI unit in October. About three weeks ago I noticed that the LCD didn't look quite right. There are "blotches" on the LCD. Then, a week ago, I noticed the paint delaminating. This is also a system that arrived with no feet. I had purchased AppleCare and I knew it would be taken care of. The problem is that when I called Apple they said that they didn't know how long it would take to repair and that it could be up three weeks.

So, I bought an 867Mhz DVI and when it arrived it was D.O.A. I returned it. Then I went to CompUSA and bought a 1Ghz system and opened it right there in the store and it had clusters of dead pixels on the LCD.

I gave up.

Now I am wondering what I'm supposed to do. I'm actually afraid to buy a new Powerbook.

I feel like calling Apple and complaining but what good will it do?

I love my Apple Powerbooks (I always buy one). But, it's getting harder and harder to rationalize the extra cost. I was at Best Buy last night to buy CD-RW disks and they have a Sony desktop system, 2.5Ghz, DVD-RW/CD-RW/80GB/512mb, WITH 17-inch monitor AND Canon printer ($129 retail value) all for only $1199. $1199!

Of course, it's Windows and that isn't so great, but $1199 is a super bargain, isn't it? With DVD-RW?

Apple needs to start checking their manufacturing process I think. I love Apple and I hope Apple can continue to succeed but stories like the ones here, along with my own, scare me.

purplehaze04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2002, 02:59 PM

hey ithink, don't let these stories sour your decision of buying a new TiBook. i just received my TiBook on friday and it's perfect, no dead pixels, no messed up paint finish and it runs beautifully!

this is my first laptop after being a mac desktop user for 10+ years and i have to say i'm quite pleased after my first weekend with it. i don't notice the fan that everyone keeps complaining about, i have iTunes on and i never hear it so it's never a problem for me.

have trust in that you'll get a solid machine. forum boards are venues for folks who have problems with their machines and are looking for advice on how to optimize their performance. there are countless machines and users out there that don't have any problems and are quite happy with their experience.

good luck...get the TiBook!

lee

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 05:50 PM

FWIW, I had outstanding service on two separate repair issues on my Cube (one a bum AirPort connector and the other a dead video card). On the second repair Apple actually did the repair and shipped it back the same day; I was only without it two business days.

I've never had a problem with any Apple product out of the box, although I'm hoping my luck holds as my 667DVI PowerBook has just developed the dread paint delaminating problem (after six months of use; I thought I was going to dodge that bullet) and I have to try to get it repaired. Unfortunately I have to live with it until after the holidays as I need it for a trip, and the chipping gets worse every day. I actually am very tempted by the 1GHz SuperDrive models, but I can't sell my 667 in it current state. It's too bad, apart from that the case is still flawless, and it gets a lot of use.

iThink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2002, 06:23 PM

My Powerbook DVI 667Mhz is delaminating also! Apple is going to repair the entire thing: Case exterior/paint + LCD

Are the new Powerbooks delaminating?

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Dec 9, 2002, 07:13 PM

Indeed- you've got to drill them.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 08:17 PM

Are the new Powerbooks delaminating?
My understanding is that they have finally identified the problem and new models shipped after a certain date should be okay. I guess they are replacing the carbon-fibre frames on flawed models with the new part. I'd call now and try to get mine fixed but I can't take a chance on not getting it back before I travel.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by lokjah:
yeah the soho store has some real attitudnal young hot shots in it that know absolutely nothing. there are a few good ones there but alot of them just think its cool to be working at apple in soho. and are clueless that they are actually working in a computer store.

l�k
Yep, I know exactly what you mean about the SoHo store. I think some of the employees got turned away from the club scene or something. Now, if it was the Mall of America store, well then they'd have a reason for the 'tude! Camp Snoopy at lunch break, oh yeah!

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by austinjackson:
I think you may have a mistaken view of what Quality Control really is...

These things are very physical devices coming off of a real assembly line in very very large numbers... NO company goes in and hand checks every single machine for hours each checking for the smallest failure... quality control relies on probability and the percentages...

Failures will happen. They happen everywhere with the products of every company, so its not really fair to blame Apple for lack of quality control... as a consumer you really can't see the big picture in terms of quality control... all you see is the one machine in front of you that may have a problem.

So it definitely relies squarely on Apple tech support then... I agree, sometimes it takes some coaxing to get Apple to do something, but so long as your machine is not out of warantee, Apple support will not blow you off.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by lokjah:
i completely agree. this has been slipping lately. i think because apple is trying so fiercely to stay out of the red, selling crazy amounts of ipods (windows ipods too no doubt) and trying to get every switcher in sight.

thats all good and well but they need to adhere to their own quality standards that they have done so well to establish over the years.

if they arent careful they will be following in microsofts footsteps.

l�k

See my post above. Its not really fair to make the assumption that Apple's quality standards have fallen over the years... as consumers we have the narrowest view of the quality control process inside of Apple.

You may get a lemon, and talk to alot of people on this forum who get lemons as well, but that's not to say that Apple is letting their quality control slide. Its amazing how having a product fail on you skews your view.

Oh, and Microsoft doesn't sell personal computers like Apple does... remember that.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2002, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:

I think you may have a mistaken view of what Quality Control really is...

These things are very physical devices coming off of a real assembly line in very very large numbers... NO company goes in and hand checks every single machine for hours each checking for the smallest failure... quality control relies on probability and the percentages...

Failures will happen. They happen everywhere with the products of every company, so its not really fair to blame Apple for lack of quality control... as a consumer you really can't see the big picture in terms of quality control... all you see is the one machine in front of you that may have a problem.

So it definitely relies squarely on Apple tech support then... I agree, sometimes it takes some coaxing to get Apple to do something, but so long as your machine is not out of warantee, Apple support will not blow you off.
Individual problems yes.. but when an entire series of machines have the same problem (ie paint delamination ajust one of many) then it is most certainly a QC issue. If you read you will see very few issues are found in just one or two machines. Lots of machines experience the same problems which once again boils down to poor QC.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2002, 01:48 AM

If you read you will see very few issues are found in just one or two machines. Lots of machines experience the same problems which once again boils down to poor QC.
Of course I read. I recognize that problems usually fall within a couple of problem areas rather than a completely random part... that's usually the way things are when you manufacture something.

But think for a second...This is a forum for mac users about macs. When something goes wrong, especially in such a vocal and tight knit community as this one, someone posts about it.. That's what alot of the posts here are about... people looking for advice because they got a lemon... they very well should post here if they have problems, but you can't assume by just reading and seeing the same problem repeated a few times here that its universal and is a major failure on a massive scale.

Granted there are a few instances where this is not the case, and Apple does recalls or replacement progros, just like any good company... the melting powerbook batteries of old come to mind.

my point is just to keep everything in perspective... you see the same problems posted here multiple times because this is a forum where people do post the problems about their machines... as a sampling of the total population of new powerbook owners, its a skewed sample.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2002, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:

Of course I read. I recognize that problems usually fall within a couple of problem areas rather than a completely random part... that's usually the way things are when you manufacture something.

But think for a second...This is a forum for mac users about macs. When something goes wrong, especially in such a vocal and tight knit community as this one, someone posts about it.. That's what alot of the posts here are about... people looking for advice because they got a lemon... they very well should post here if they have problems, but you can't assume by just reading and seeing the same problem repeated a few times here that its universal and is a major failure on a massive scale.

Granted there are a few instances where this is not the case, and Apple does recalls or replacement progros, just like any good company... the melting powerbook batteries of old come to mind.

my point is just to keep everything in perspective... you see the same problems posted here multiple times because this is a forum where people do post the problems about their machines... as a sampling of the total population of new powerbook owners, its a skewed sample.
IMO Apple should have done many recalls on alot of things. The paint issue comes to mind. They deny and deny and deny and then finally admit it's their fault. This problem plagued a large majority of powerbooks out there.

As far as just people with problems posting that's halfway true but you will notice the few that have had good experience post as well. This thing about people with good experience not seeking out the board could be correct but there are as many unsuspecting smucks out there that aren't aware such a thing exists and what do they do? They call Apple who tells them everything is their fault and they're not replacing anything. They don't have anyone to complain to after that because they're not aware of the forum. So you can say satisfied customers don't don't coming looking for the thread but you have to account equally for the unsatisfied ones who don't as well. I have a half dozen friends who I've turned on to MacNN - some disappointed and some happy but none of them knew such a place existed before I told them.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2002, 01:27 PM

iThink -- go ahead with the repair. The one time I've needed to use Apple repair, it was a 24 hour turnaround on their end (this for a faulty shim in an LCD on a Powerbook 145). Granted, things have changed over the years, but if Apple service is as good as their tech support, it's probably still pretty good. The new Powerbooks don't offer enough of an improvement over the DVI for DVI owners to be replacing their machines unless you really need the brighter screen and/or the portable SuperDrive -- and you have AppleCare on the one you've got as well, so that's another reason to keep it. Send it to Apple, it's their problem, get it back complete with a new case that stays looking good, and enjoy it for a couple of years, and by that time Apple will either have something that is dramatically better or they'll be out of business. (Hopefully the former, I trust!).

I have one of the new Powerbooks, but it's the first time I've even owned a laptop since selling my 190 five years ago.

That Sony PC sounds like a good deal . . . but every low- or mid-range PC case I've ever seen on has included cheap components and been horrible to work on. The nice ones, like Dell's new top of the line workstations, are comparable in price to Macs. If you're into upgrading frequently, though, a budget PC makes more sense. Also on your 667, if you haven't done so already, get OS 10.2, and add the 2.1 and 2.2 patches. Definitely faster than before.
( Last edited by photoeditor; Dec 10, 2002 at 01:34 PM. )

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2002, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by photoeditor:
iThink -- go ahead with the repair. The one time I've needed to use Apple repair, it was a 24 hour turnaround on their end (this for a faulty shim in an LCD on a Powerbook 145). Granted, things have changed over the years, but if Apple service is as good as their tech support, it's probably still pretty good. The new Powerbooks don't offer enough of an improvement over the DVI for DVI owners to be replacing their machines unless you really need the brighter screen and/or the portable SuperDrive -- and you have AppleCare on the one you've got as well, so that's another reason to keep it. Send it to Apple, it's their problem, get it back complete with a new case that stays looking good, and enjoy it for a couple of years, and by that time Apple will either have something that is dramatically better or they'll be out of business. (Hopefully the former, I trust!).

I have one of the new Powerbooks, but it's the first time I've even owned a laptop since selling my 190 five years ago.

That Sony PC sounds like a good deal . . . but every low- or mid-range PC case I've ever seen on has included cheap components and been horrible to work on. The nice ones, like Dell's new top of the line workstations, are comparable in price to Macs. If you're into upgrading frequently, though, a budget PC makes more sense. Also on your 667, if you haven't done so already, get OS 10.2, and add the 2.1 and 2.2 patches. Definitely faster than before.
24 hour turn around??? When was this??? When apple had a half dozen customers??? I sent my tibook in 4 times and the shortest turn around time was 5 business days and the longest was 3 weeks.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2003, 09:51 PM

24 hour turn around??? When was this??? When apple had a half dozen customers??? I sent my tibook in 4 times and the shortest turn around time was 5 business days and the longest was 3 weeks.
I had two powerbooks sent in (at different times) over the past year and they both came back to me within three days after they had been picked up. The iPods (three times - mine kept breaking) took 24 hours.

They've always been very fast for me. I hope it stays that way.

g

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2003, 11:16 PM

Really? Mine got returned so fast I wasn't even sure if it had been repaired until I opened the box. And when I sent it in, it was in peices!!

That being said, I have had generally positive experiences with Apple. Amazingly, when I was 14, I convinced them to buy back my eMate (blast from the past!) when it was out of warranty. I'm still not sure how I pulled that off. Maybe they were tired of me.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2003, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by shatten22:
I had two powerbooks sent in (at different times) over the past year and they both came back to me within three days after they had been picked up. The iPods (three times - mine kept breaking) took 24 hours.

They've always been very fast for me. I hope it stays that way.

g
I've had similar experience with Apple repair - 3 years ago, my Wallstreet needed a new logic board, and it returned to me 3 days after I sent it via AirBorne Express (on their nickel). Last year, a refurbished iBook that I bought for a family member came unable to run on battery - again, a logic board replacement needed, and this time it returned to me 2 days after I sent it to them!

I've had nothing but good experiences with Apple Technical Support, and with Apple repair!

iBorg

wvolz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2003, 01:17 AM

So I figured I would throw in my experience so far with my TiBook 1Ghz SD. It arrived right before Christmas and I was super excited. To my dismay the left side of the screen seemed to have pixels that flickered sometimes (thats the easiest way I can think of to explain it). So I called Apple and they said to ship it back. I didn't actually send the machine back till the 7th of Jan, and I just now got it back (today). Well guess what? Now I have one dead pixel and scratches/marks on the screen that I can not remove. They apparently replaced the clamshell, but it looks like they just used left over parts or something... So I guess it's back to Apple it goes again. It so sad, I've had this since right before Christmas and I haven't gotten more than a week of use out of it so far.

VRL
Senior User
Jan 16, 2003, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Apple has always been extremely helpful and responsive with me.

Exactly. All my experiences with Apple have been very pleasant
Love my GHz TiBook, and G4 desktop, and G3 desktop! Heck, I still have 4 old Macs (all given to me) that work great.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2003, 06:57 AM

I have had bad experiences with Apple support.

1. Sent a DV iMac back with a faulty modem, came back very quickly, but it had terrible screen faults then. Had to go back again to have a new logic board.

2. Sent a FP iMac back for a logic board repair, has come back in 3 days, but now it continually locks up, or spining ball, or modem problems, or mouse won't work.

They seem to fix one problem but give you more in return, don't they test these things before the send them back ?

Now the FP iMac needs another repair, but I am actually going to regect the goods under the UK Sale of Goods Act. Thay have has a chance to fix it, now they can replace it, as it is not 'fit for purpose'.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by CyberPet:
In the meanwhile I'm going to get a loaner from Apple since I'm voice handicapped and use the computer as a voice aid.
Good that you're getting a loan machine.

This is one thing I (and all tiBook owners I know) have always found incomprehensible. How can it be that one spends $3000 on a "professional" machine, and is left without one for *weeks* on end if it breaks under warranty?

A good friend of mine depends on his tiBook for live audio work. It broke down twice (once for the ever-popular burned-out FireWire controller, and the second time for the faulty motherboard that Apple replaced the original one with), and he was left without a computer for several weeks. When it went in *again*, he finally got a loan machine - NOT from Apple. From his dealer.

After *much* pressure from the dealer, Apple agreed to replace his 400 MHz TiBook with the then-current low-end model, a 667 DVI.

On a $3000 machine bought for business, I'd expect at *least* a 24-hour delivery of a loan machine if not outright replacement service.

-s*

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2003, 11:42 PM

dp
( Last edited by mrtew; Jan 20, 2003 at 07:58 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Riemann Zeta
Jan 20, 2003, 03:07 AM

Sorry to hear about the experience...My PowerBook G4 Ti does not make a bunch of hideous noise.

PS: Your 3GHz PC was silent? I want to know your secret. I've had a lot of PCs--mostly handbuilt systems, some Dell--and they all sounded like airport tarmacks. I couldn't even have them turned on in the morning, or I couldn't sleep.
God is just a statistic...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2003, 06:45 AM

I've never had any major problems with the Macs I've owned that would have caused me to return for repairs (thank God), but I've been lucky. I'm sure most everyone is dismayed by the fact that Apple has no exchange policy and instead asks that the machine be sent for repairs when it's newly out of the box. I don't see how it could possibly hurt Apple to have a thirty day exchange policy, unless the company does indeed fear its machines aren't up to the challenge.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
I've never had a problem with any Apple product out of the box, although I'm hoping my luck holds as my 667DVI PowerBook has just developed the dread paint delaminating problem (after six months of use; I thought I was going to dodge that bullet) and I have to try to get it repaired. My understanding is that they have finally identified the problem and new models shipped after a certain date should be okay. I guess they are replacing the carbon-fibre frames on flawed models with the new part. I'd call now and try to get mine fixed but I can't take a chance on not getting it back before I travel.

Originally posted by iThink:
My Powerbook DVI 667Mhz is delaminating also! Apple is going to repair the entire thing: Case exterior/paint + LCD

IMO Apple should have done many recalls on alot of things. The paint issue comes to mind. They deny and deny and deny and then finally admit it's their fault. This problem plagued a large majority of powerbooks out there.

Is this for real? My roommate's one-year-old Ti667 with Applecare has been bubbling and cracking a little over the last 6 months and is now really looking bad with green marks showing thru the paint and the hinges peeling and the whole deal. How do you go about getting the carbon frame replaced? Do you just call Apple and tell them that you can't take it anymore? Or is there a program already in place that you sign onto or something? Please tell me where to find more information about this paint repair thing. Is there a group action or is it every man for himself? A 'new' Apple that looks like an old piece of crap is not good for Apple's image when he goes out in public, and makes him feel like a sucker for putting up with it.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 08:25 PM

I am sick of reading posts from apologists.

Look, there are thousands of good apple computers out there, that's great, we know that, but apple is seriously ****ing up with the ones that DON"T work.

In my case all I can say is apple has been rude to me, uncooperative, not a single bit of help, and they still won't give me a damn replacement. Something a PC company would have done instantly.

It's because they can't accept the fact their computers can be lemons and the jerks around apple just decide who's going to be stuck with a lemon POS for ages.

Geez. Maybe these people who talk about apple being so great would like to call and make sure apple replaces my g4
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules