Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > why do the french hate the U.S. so much?

why do the french hate the U.S. so much? (Page 2)
Cipher13
Feb 12, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
American men, on average, have bigger johnsons than French men.

naturally, the myth that 'size doesn't matter' originated in France.

Of course it doesn't matter. Just ask any woman.
Hehehe.

<French>Size doesn't matter, it's how you use it!</French>

Poor French...

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 04:50 PM

Not to mention all that crap about smoking being sexy and healthy all those years...

Ha! French now die of sexy lung cancer!

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2003, 04:52 PM

Why does the French hate the US? This is why

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Feb11.html

I love the last paragraph.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by palmberg:
Of course. What would you expect from the home of Hitler?
That was ironic.

Not very nice, but ironic.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

OK. I'll admit it. I loved it.

Now, about that bovine blood thing and the BIG ORANGE YUCK stamp...
I'm DYING to know how someone came up with THAT process.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 05:10 PM

That was ironic.

Not very nice, but ironic.
No it wasn't. It was ignorant. There's a difference.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
No it wasn't. It was ignorant. There's a difference.
Ok, let me think about it again.

Yup it was ironic.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 05:18 PM

Of course the French are envious.

America has Nightrider, J.E. Hoover, Ronnie Raygun, Mr T, the Dukes of Hazard and is the home of WhiteCastle, McDonalds and KFC - what more could you want in a country?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 05:21 PM

Its moronic. Utterly, utterly moronic.

By creating trade restrictions these guys are hurting people who are not politicians, who might not agree with their countries policies in the first place and who are just trying to make a living. There are trade and industry relationships between the US and Europe that, in some cases, go back decades. They took time and dedication to build. Everyone is profiting from them, US and EU citizens. What the hell is the point in making people's lifes even more difficult than they are already? We're not exactly living in economically upbeat times, without having idiot politicians making the situations even worse. Jobs are at risk, profits will go down and for what? Nationalistic posturing and playground behaviour that one might expect from a five year old. "If you don't do things my way I am not going to play with you anymore". Cue a stamping of feet and a sulk. Pathetic.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 05:23 PM

Ok, let me think about it again.

Yup it was ironic.
::sigh:: No, it wasn't. It was a comment designed to be cutting. It was also factually wrong. I'd really expect you to be able to see the difference.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 05:25 PM

I thought the French hated us because of our Culinary abominations--specifically that dredge we call coffee?

And I thought we hated the French because of what they did to the etymology of the English language?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 05:31 PM

I would like to take this opportunity to say I am sorry I revert to swearing and namecalling lots of times. I do not hate Americans, nor do I hate Zimphire or anyone else that sees the positive side of a war.

In my opinion, the arguments FOR a war are just not good enough. I understand the Americans hate it when they see an European leader disrupting their preparations with a broad smile while they did agree on taking "measures" when Saddam wasn't cooperating with the inspections enough.
It's good the USA still gives the UN a chance, and I liked Colin Powells' relaxed speech in front of the UN council. Still, I think a war would be hypocritical, costly and ill-planned at this time.

peace
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by PB2K:
peace
No! War!!

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
No! War!!

No! Cheese!!
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 12, 2003, 05:42 PM

::sigh:: No, it wasn't. It was a comment designed to be cutting. It was also factually wrong. I'd really expect you to be able to see the difference.
I said I found it ironic. No matter what it was meant to be. And yes mastrap, I know Hitler wasn't born in Germny.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 06:27 PM

Heard this one on TV a little bit ago: "Apparently French tanks have four reverse gears and one forward gear (to use in case they get attacked from behind)"

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 06:37 PM

. No matter what it was meant to be.
Seems to sum it up, really.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2003, 07:39 PM

More than Americans, the French dig jazz. That makes 'em OK in my book.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

talisker
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 08:54 PM

It only seems to be America that worries about what other countries think of it. Nobody else seems to care much how their own country is perceived. Maybe it's just because America's a relatively young country - it's playful, youthful, and fun, but it's currently going through those insecure, stroppy teenage years. Come back in 500 years when you can behave. (Joke (of sorts))

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 10:40 PM

By creating trade restrictions these guys are hurting people who are not politicians,..
And by opposing U.S. national security concerns France is risking American lives.

"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 10:49 PM

I think a war would be hypocritical...
Hypocrisy is in everything humanity does.

So please, let's despense with 'hypocrisy' as a point of reasoning in anything, anywhere, anytime.

"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

hawiken
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
American men, on average, have bigger johnsons than French men.

naturally, the myth that 'size doesn't matter' originated in France.

Of course it doesn't matter. Just ask any woman.
A consortium of researchers from the UK, France and Poland entered into an agreement to investigate why men have that helmet on the end of their johnsons.

The French invested 500,000 francs and two years to the project, and ultimately concluded that it was there to give pleasure to the women.

The British invested 100,000 pounds and one year to the project and ultimately concluded that it was there to give pleasure to the man.

The Polish threw 50 bucks at the project and took a week to figure out that it's there to keep the guy's hand from slippin off...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by NeoMac:
And by opposing U.S. national security concerns France is risking American lives.

You totally managed to miss my point. You're also being melodramatic. The disagreement is a political one, not a trade and industry one. By curtailing trade, the wrong people are punished for actions they have no influence on. Also, inane statements like "I am going to support everything that hurts them without hurting us." from a politician - my vote would go somewhere else. Pronto.

France, for whatever your opinion might be of the country, is an ally. There is frequent complaining on this board about the US citizenry being equalled with the US government of the moment. Yet there is no complaint when the same flawed logic is applied to France. This is aptly expressed in your uncalled for choice of signature.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 03:38 AM

I could explain everything in this post, but I've given up.

Here's a Nice Picture instead.

snotnose  (op)
Senior User
Feb 13, 2003, 03:57 AM

maybe the french are pissed they gave us the statue of liberty and want it back...
Nothing is older than the idea of new

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 05:48 AM

maybe they are upset because your constitition has rougly stayed the same since it was written !!!
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2003, 07:31 AM

Maybe America should look at itself instead of the French. Because after all, I'm sure they don't dislike America more or less than your average European.

I cannot believe that DeLay guy. First trade sanctions for not supporting America's right to be right about everything all the time, then he randomnly has a go at French wine, and then some indeciferable pseudo-racist comment about Germany and/or France...
and what is he - House Majority Leader? I assume that's an important position in Congress, but can some explain to me exactly what he does...?

****, America scares me.

Chris

VRL
Senior User
Feb 13, 2003, 08:00 AM

maybe they are upset because your constitition has rougly stayed the same since it was written !!!
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

French are too often brainwashed by their own propaganda. Spin is not an "America-only" phenomenon. Media companies are owned by people with an interest in political parties/ideologies, much like AOL Time Warner and the democratic party in the U.S. ... Follow political contributions if you doubt it.

France's trade partner (Iraq) is about to experience a drastic change due to Iraq's defiance of UN resolutions. Want to blame someone, blame Iraq.

Iraq's trade partners (France, Russia and China) will try to stop any action to oust Hussein to protect their interests - money and oil, as well as power. (Facts on trade, etc. available everywhere, e.g. the World Almanac.)

And I believe the French (politicians) are scared sh*tless. Over 6 million Muslims live in France, and the recent threats against them (Notre Dame in Paris, oil tanker, e.g.) were no accident. In fact, the timing was very interesting.
So, some (and I emphasize some) French will ridicule U.S./protest to "feel safe". Or point fingers at anyone but themselves for their own problems. ... That's pathetic.

BTW, I've lived and traveled throughout France (and Europe). All people do not hate the U.S. To suggest (generalize) the U.S. is hated by everyone is an outright lie.

Enough.
Have a good one
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 09:24 AM

Its moronic. Utterly, utterly moronic.

By creating trade restrictions these guys are hurting people who are not politicians, who might not agree with their countries policies in the first place and who are just trying to make a living. There are trade and industry relationships between the US and Europe that, in some cases, go back decades. They took time and dedication to build. Everyone is profiting from them, US and EU citizens. What the hell is the point in making people's lifes even more difficult than they are already? We're not exactly living in economically upbeat times, without having idiot politicians making the situations even worse. Jobs are at risk, profits will go down and for what? Nationalistic posturing and playground behaviour that one might expect from a five year old. "If you don't do things my way I am not going to play with you anymore". Cue a stamping of feet and a sulk. Pathetic.
OK, Mas. Now, I am an American. I got no problem being one. Hell, I even enjoy it. But really, what do you expect form politics? Not just AMERICAN politics, but politics as a whole? The American Gov't thinks the 4 are playing dirty pool and coloring outside the lines. So, like petulant children, the American Gov't does... the same? Sounds like the same ole same ole for me. And I might have more respect for their (clarify- the action on BOTH sides of the Atlanic) action if I didn't think it were politics pure and simple.
Yeah, you're right- it is offensive.
I'll still admit I found that last paragraph pretty damned funny.
( Last edited by maxelson; Feb 13, 2003 at 09:33 AM. )

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
No! Cheese!!
SECONDED!!!
see... we KNOW what is important, here.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
I thought the French hated us because of our Culinary abominations--specifically that dredge we call coffee?

And I thought we hated the French because of what they did to the etymology of the English language?
No, no. WE hate the French because of the Pugeot.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by talisker:
It only seems to be America that worries about what other countries think of it. Nobody else seems to care much how their own country is perceived. Maybe it's just because America's a relatively young country - it's playful, youthful, and fun, but it's currently going through those insecure, stroppy teenage years. Come back in 500 years when you can behave. (Joke (of sorts))

Ooooo. I REALLY have to disagree with that one. Worldwide perception is of HIGH importance to pretty much most countries. I give you China. NK. Huh- FRANCE. Just what I thought were more obvious examples.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by clebin:

****, America scares me.

Chris
****in' BOO.

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 09:32 AM

I don't know whether or not they do hate us. And I don't really care. If they do, that's their problem not mine.

Move the troops. Xnay on the trade restrictions.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by maxelson:
OK, Mas. Now, I am an American. I got no problem being one. Hell, I even enjoy it. But really, what do you expect form politics? Not just AMERICAN politics, but politics as a whole? The American Gov't thinks the 4 are playing dirty pool and coloring outside the lines. So, like petulant children, the American Gov't does... the same? Sounds like the same ole same ole for me. And I might have more respect for their (clarify- the action on BOTH sides of the Atlantic) action if I didn't think it were politics pure and simple.
Yeah, you're right- it is offensive.
I'll still admit I found that last paragraph pretty damned funny.

Max, I wasn't venting against Americans. Hey, I've got warm, fuzzy feeling towards many an American and a couple of restraining orders to prove it.

What pisses me off is when politics, and especially posturing in politics, gets in the way of free trade. It pisses me off when the EU does it, it pisses me off when France does it (they've got a history of this nonsense) and it pisses me off now the US does it. Why the angry reaction? Because it affects my life. I, as you know, make a living by helping people to sell their stuff. If their profits go down for whatever reason they don't employ my services anymore. Which means I'll be poor. I was poor once, if at all possible I don't want to repeat the experience.

The other thing that really annoyed me was the xenophobic tone that was being brandished about. Also, to pull a stunt like trying to slap health restrictions on imported water to punish a whole country is idiotic. More than that, it's cynical and idiotic. Either a product is safe or it's not. It doesn't depend on the whim of a politician.

The last paragraph was hilarious though, I agree. And I still wuv you.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
I don't know whether or not they do hate us. And I don't really care. If they do, that's their problem not mine.

Move the troops. Xnay on the trade restrictions.
You're wrong on both counts. Trade restrictions always hurt both ways. So, it is your problem.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 13, 2003, 10:36 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 5, 2004 at 12:31 AM. )

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 11:12 AM

You're wrong on both counts. Trade restrictions always hurt both ways. So, it is your problem.
I said I was against the trade restrictions. Try again.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 11:18 AM

Max, I wasn't venting against Americans. Hey, I've got warm, fuzzy feeling towards many an American and a couple of restraining orders to prove it.

What pisses me off is when politics, and especially posturing in politics, gets in the way of free trade. It pisses me off when the EU does it, it pisses me off when France does it (they've got a history of this nonsense) and it pisses me off now the US does it. Why the angry reaction? Because it affects my life. I, as you know, make a living by helping people to sell their stuff. If their profits go down for whatever reason they don't employ my services anymore. Which means I'll be poor. I was poor once, if at all possible I don't want to repeat the experience.

The other thing that really annoyed me was the xenophobic tone that was being brandished about. Also, to pull a stunt like trying to slap health restrictions on imported water to punish a whole country is idiotic. More than that, it's cynical and idiotic. Either a product is safe or it's not. It doesn't depend on the whim of a politician.

The last paragraph was hilarious though, I agree. And I still wuv you.
Oh! Sorry for the confusion. I know you weren't Amer-bashing. I'm just being my cynical ole self. You and I are in agreement on the issue. I do agree that this is a Jr. High school tuff- fest on the playground. My only point is this: sadly, I expect it.
I'm still concerned about the now defunct (as it should be) bovine blood process. I mean, what the hell was THAT all about (and who invented it and how the hell did it work)!??
wuv you too, snuggle bear...

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by clebin:
House Majority Leader? I assume that's an important position in Congress, but can some explain to me exactly what he does...?
Technically, the House Majority Leader is the majority party's chief legislative advocate and spokesperson. He establishes and runs the parties agenda with the President. Example: Bush says he wants $1.5 billion for hydro-car research. It's this guys job to blaze the way in Congress and make sure the President gets it.

Let's just say it's not good that a person of his position is taking shots at the French. His position is often to say what the President can't say or isn't willing to say just yet.

So right now, DeLay's "signaling" the President's discontent with Chirac. If you notice, Bush hasn't personally taken any shots at the French. But now that DeLay is doing so, it's a clear signal to the French that Bush will not be so curteous for much longer.

This is not unique to U.S. politics, btw. Political systems have different people that do this.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by NeoMac:

Let's just say it's not good that a person of his position is taking shots at the French. His position is often to say what the President can't say or isn't willing to say just yet.

So right now, DeLay's "signaling" the President's discontent with Chirac. If you notice, Bush hasn't personally taken any shots at the French. But now that DeLay is doing so, it's a clear signal to the French that Bush will not be so curteous for much longer.
That's an interesting point. But it also seems a bit contradictory. It sounds like DeLay is the perfect person to deliver a well-aimed kick to the groin if that's what the president truly wants. Plausible deniability, and all that.

On the other hand, I think you may be overstating Bush's control over DeLay's mouth. Tom Delay is known as a bit of a hothead. He's also not alone. All kinds of people in Congress say things that calmer heads with more responsibility wouldn't. Threatening trade sanctions to an ally during a recession is a good example of something you shouldn't do casually.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 02:53 PM

Actually most countries are pro US. It's the ones that aren't that are the minorites.
ROTFL!!!!!! You don't travel enough, man.

This time last year, there was tremendous empathy for the US. Dubya spent the political goodwill he had like a kid with a Platinum Card at Toys R Us!

Being a foreigner living in France with many American friends, I can tell you that the French LOVE the Americans. Problem is the current US govt. is running in binary mode - with us or against us, good or evil. They think that if France loves the US, it will do whatever it says and if France doesn't do whatever the US thinks, it must hate the US.
( Last edited by Troll; Feb 13, 2003 at 02:59 PM. )

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 04:13 PM

To spice this little flame fest up here's a little poll by the BBC. It truly doesn't seem as if most of the world wants a war. Most people in the world not directly affected by this crap(i.e. the US,UK,Israel and Iraq) seem to not believe there is enough justification for a war.

Back on topic: For those who can read French the French papers are full of papers asking why the Americans hate the French. Coincidence? Does it seem as if every single mofo in this piss poor conflict is trying their fukking damndest to portray themselves as the victim? I think it does. Does it also seem as if everyone is mistaking everyone else for their respective governments? I think it does.

Who are the real losers in this bad-joke?:

The Iraqi population, squeezed between a murderous butcher of a president and a superpower intent on killing quite a lot of them.

You, me and everyone else who actually has to work for a living. In case you didn't notice the war hasn't even started yet and the worlds economy is taking a dive. This has an effect on MY JOB and YOUR JOB. If I lose my job because the economy is so sh1tted out after a conflict in which it looks like is very close to spreading to Korea I am not going to be a happy person. Most others will not exactly be thankful either.
weird wabbit

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 13, 2003, 06:59 PM

Just because France doesn't support a war against Iraq does not mean they hate the US. It's a rather silly conclusion to jump to.

I can't really comment on whether most French people like or dislike the US, but it's certainly dumb to say that they hate the country just because they don't agree with everything that is proposed.

'Hate' is a rather strong word in any case; IMHO, the only conclusion you can really make is that for whatever reason, France is concerned about and is against a unilateral US war with Iraq.

I think it's rather obnoxious of anyone to even consider imposing trade sanctions on France or removing troops from Germany simply because they disagree with US policy, whether or not one believes the US is correct in its motivations and actions. Such a belligerent -- and I think, somewhat puerile -- attitude.

My 2�.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

B_2
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 07:11 PM

Sick and tired of hearing the BUSH Administration going on about IRAQ and its violation of UN Resolutions

Israel violates more UN Resolutions than IRAQ! but just because the YANKS love the JEWS nothing gets done, and why the rest of europe do jack.

Thats why almost all nations hate the AMERICAN ADMINISTRATION AND ITS FOREIGN POLICY,

Forum Links
Forum Rules