Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini vs. iMac

Mac Mini vs. iMac (Page 2)
Jonathan-Tanya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2005, 02:20 PM

oh and one other thing...I won't buy a mac mini, because I did buy a powermac G5 last year, and of course, the powermac series also doesn't come with monitor.

Mine didn't come with keyboard or mouse either, because I bought it off e-bay and the seller kept those items.

I ended up buying a free optical mouse ($9 - $9 rebate, a thanksgiving day special item at CompUSA). I ordered the $7 USB keyboard from a website (can I say pricewatch ?)

anyway, I hated that keyboard with a passion, and ended up walking into Circuit City one day, and buying a Logitech USB keyboard (incidentally, now I have a matching logitech setup).

This keyboard has turned out to work great, and my logitech accessories look nice and work nice, and, even though I do think highly of the craftsmanship and looks of the apple keyboard/mouse, I would never trade in my two button plus scroll wheel for an apple mouse of any kind....its much too convenient for using OS X and scrolling around web pages, to ever go back.

so, long story short, if you do value aesthetics, then you can't use the apple stuff anyway, because, you can't use the mouse...to get a matching set, you need either logitech or (gasp), microsofts.

Jonathan-Tanya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2005, 02:24 PM

sorry for flooding you all with posts, but I just remembered something...you absolutely cannot use any generic USB keyboard with a powermac G5 (and my guess would be with the Mac mini too).

That first $7 keyboard I bought, would only work if you plugged it in after boot. If you booted the mac with it plugged in, it didn't recognize that any keyboard was plugged in.

Never had that problem with the logitech. I bet you things are going to turn out slightly more difficult for apple, than they know now.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jan 16, 2005, 07:10 PM

the minimac looks good vfm on paper , but once you add all the extras - more ram , a screen a keyboard etc , you get close to the low end imac , and for me that's NO contest

it's a nice idea , shame it doesn't have a bit more oomph

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap

the minimac looks good vfm on paper , but once you add all the extras - more ram , a screen a keyboard etc , you get close to the low end imac , and for me that's NO contest.
Not that close, actually. You have to add the RAM to both machines, so that doesn't count. BestBuy has an NEC 17" LCD with DVI for $250 after rebates this week. The most anyone would have to pay for a good keyboard would be $50. So you are comparing $999 to $1299, using Apple store retail. It seems to me that's priced just about right for the differences in clock speed, bus etc when balanced against portability, noise, desk space etc. Some would go one way, some another. But for Apple, one of the best things about the mini is that it will get people into the stores. Once there, some will go for the mini, others who feel like you, for the iMac!

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2005, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
Not that close, actually. You have to add the RAM to both machines, so that doesn't count.
Actually, you can *add* RAM to the iMac but you have to *replace* RAM on the Mac mini. So, the cost to upgrade to, say, 512MB will be lower on the iMac. Now in theory you can sell the excess memory card from the mini but is anyone going to do that, especially before the warranty expires?

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by hudson1

Actually, you can *add* RAM to the iMac but you have to *replace* RAM on the Mac mini. So, the cost to upgrade to, say, 512MB will be lower on the iMac.
But most people upgrading from 256 to 512 would probably have Apple do it since it is only $75 and also covered by the Apple warranty. And its $75 for either machine. Of course, if you want a GB then you have to pay heavily on the mini and you can add RAM later on the iMac. But those are some of the "other advantages" of the iMac. So the initial cost difference for most users is $300 or 30% more for the iMac. For some that's a lot, for others not.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
the minimac looks good vfm on paper , but once you add all the extras - more ram , a screen a keyboard etc , you get close to the low end imac , and for me that's NO contest

it's a nice idea , shame it doesn't have a bit more oomph
Yeah, but the next time you buy a Mac mini, you won't have to buy another screen and keyboard. This is great for frequent upgraders and will save money if you see the possibility of getting a powermac down the road.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by rotuts:
this is what its for. not for a true mac user.
That sounds a little strange.

Am I a "true Mac user" when I have exactly what system specs? Do you consider CPU/HD/FSB that important. They are not.

As a student with a lot of things to pay for, I can't afford a Powerbook or Power Mac. And even though I'm doing Photoshop/InDesign work (before you ask: Yes, I own a legal copy), a Mac mini is a great machine for my needs.

A QE compatible GPU is everything I need, the 80 GB/4200RPM HD has enough space/speed for what I do, I'll throw in 1 GB RAM (cheap!) and I ordered the Mouse/Keyboard Set for 58 Euro. I have a good CRT that will cut it for me, a color true LCD is far out of my budget. And until summer I don't need a portable.

But I consider myself what you most probably mean by "true Mac user", since I use Macs intensivly since 1994 and have done a lot of promotions and events for Apple. Even with just a Mac mini...

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 04:32 PM

Andreas: I stand corrected.

by the way, I don't know how to do the "quotes" from a previous post in this box. any help[?

I also can't find the exact quote above which I did make.

I point was only that the intended market is the wintel market at the low end of Mac possibilities, and with the KVM switch they now have two operating systems. and seeing them both changes what they buy in the future.

it is a robust entrylevel mac. but you can't upgrade it yourself, etc.

rotut

dougmilbourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2005, 05:47 PM

Andreas:

I point was only that the intended market is the wintel market at the low end of Mac possibilities, and with the KVM switch they now have two operating systems. and seeing them both changes what they buy in the future.
I ordered a Mac Mini hoping to use it with a KVM switch. How well does the Mac respond to one of these switches? My PC has always been spotty with reconnecting the mouse.

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2005, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by dougmilbourne:
I ordered a Mac Mini hoping to use it with a KVM switch. How well does the Mac respond to one of these switches? My PC has always been spotty with reconnecting the mouse.
I'd look into getting a better KVM then. I've had luck with Belkin KVMs with a GigE G4 - no issues at all with their SOHO 4 port USB/PS2 + Audio KVM. No issues with 3 PCs or 1 Mac.
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 08:53 PM

Andreas: I stand corrected.

by the way, I don't know how to do the "quotes" from a previous post in this box. any help[?

I also can't find the exact quote above which I did make.

it is a robust entrylevel mac. but you can't upgrade it yourself, etc.

rotut
Well, maybe I was just taking that somewhat too seriously, too. I was just in the mood to b*tch a little bit around and I have no social life - so I need to make my point in this forum I just want to have more money to get a G5 and a Powerbook

I see your point and agree fully, that the mini is targeted for the market you mention.

To the quotes: Just hit the "reply" button above each post to get the bold quotes. wow, so many post without quoting

After all, have a nice day!

Forum Links
Forum Rules