Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Automaker GM: Going Broke

Automaker GM: Going Broke (Page 2)
effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 25, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
Since when is Cody Dawg a female?
My guess would be since she was born ... but you never know ...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
They just said they might have to force workers to work overtime because so many are getting worn out working so much.
I think I just found GM's problem...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 05:49 PM

Since when is Cody Dawg a female?
I think always. You can even see pictures of her on some other threads (very pretty).

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Cody clearly stated "if someone smashes into me while driving like an idiot", so why should she care that the other person dies while she doesn't?
You don't see anything odd about buying a vehicle not because its actually safe but because the other guy will take more of the brunt of impact? It doesn't matter if the other driver is drunk or just skids out of control. Its a simple fact that if you own a hummer the other guy is toast but actually buying a vehicle for that purpose is just morbid.

I'm starting to not believe these tests. I don't think their findings really hold up in real real world. For example, a head on between a Jeep and an MX-5, I know which would come out best - and it's not the Mazda.
And which vehicle "does better" has absolutely no impact on safety.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by euchomai:
I think always. You can even see pictures of her on some other threads (very pretty).
Just found those.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
You don't see anything odd about buying a vehicle not because its actually safe but because the other guy will take more of the brunt of impact? It doesn't matter if the other driver is drunk or just skids out of control. Its a simple fact that if you own a hummer the other guy is toast but actually buying a vehicle for that purpose is just morbid.
You're British, right? So you'll know what I'm on about when I say:

If they let people like Maureen from "Driving School" have driving licences, then I'm gonna buy the biggest vehicle I possibly can to protect myself from danger.
If you want to put yourself at more risk than you have to every time you go out, that's your choice. Not mine. If you want to care about how well the other guy fares in an accident at the risk of your own safety, that's your choice. Not mine.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 06:47 PM

If they let people like Maureen from "Driving School" have driving licences, then I'm gonna buy the biggest vehicle I possibly can to protect myself from danger.
If you want to put yourself at more risk than you have to every time you go out, that's your choice. Not mine. If you want to care about how well the other guy fares in an accident at the risk of your own safety, that's your choice. Not mine.
What if 'Maureen from "Driving School"' went out and bought a Hummer, what would you be driving around in then. an APC or a ex army tank?

Not only 'good drivers' buy SUV's

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 06:48 PM

I'm starting to not believe these tests. I don't think their findings really hold up in real real world. For example, a head on between a Jeep and an MX-5, I know which would come out best - and it's not the Mazda.
Very few collisions are head on. That's why the head on collision test is pretty meaningless. A small, agile car with a passenger cell designed to deal with impact forces will always outperform a behemoth built on a glorified truck frame when it comes to safety, both active and passive. One of the SUV's Achilles heels is the high center of gravity. Hit a curb just so and see the thing roll over.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 06:56 PM

Not british.

Then you're making a silly decision that compromises your safety and that of everyone else on the road. Larger vehicles will only offer you some degree of protection in head-on collisions and even that is equaled by many cars. I'd much rather go with something that will protect me and offer enough maneuverability that I might be able to avoid the accident altogether. If you want to drive a bus because it makes you feel invincible thats your choice.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 25, 2005, 07:43 PM

[IMG]http://iranscope.ghandchi.com/Fun/Racist.jpg[IMG]
Huh? I state that a Canadian GM manager moves work from a Canadian plant to an American plant because they have too low of quality and that makes me racist?

I do not think you are using that word correctly.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 25, 2005, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Pfff, ya you just know it all don't you.

Isn't anything with "made is the USA" stamp on it avoided by even most Americans?
Nope! There is a huge backlash against Wal-Mart because they sell too many imported goods.

Americans want to buy American made goods. For quality, not xenophobic reasons.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 25, 2005, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
I think I just found GM's problem...
You might be right.

GM needs to hire quickly. The workforce is getting worn out.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 25, 2005, 07:49 PM

Canadian outsourcing vendors tend to attract sophisticated work and projects closely tied to American culture and the English language. As such, despite the stronger numbers of outsourcing firms and employees in offshore locations such as India and the Far East, Canada is holding its own against overseas competitors, especially in high-end project areas.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/39293.html

Can you back up your story with something?
Did you read you own link? I am talking about manufacturing, not "call centers" or telemarketing firms.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 08:04 PM

Kilbey post
Kilbey post
Kilbey post
Kilbey post
Zimph'd�

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 25, 2005, 08:09 PM

Zimph'd�
Your objectification of women in your sig disgusts me.

Have a nice day.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 08:34 PM

Zimph'd�

Seriously, 4 in a row?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 08:41 PM

Nope! There is a huge backlash against Wal-Mart because they sell too many imported goods.

Americans want to buy American made goods. For quality, not xenophobic reasons.
I don't think american made goods are of any better quality than those made anywhere else. I believe its the growing "america vs. the world" attitude.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
It's just another sign of America's decline in importance on the world stage.
What is funny is that most of the Toyotas here are made in the U.S.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 08:57 PM

I'd much rather go with something that will protect me and offer enough maneuverability that I might be able to avoid the accident altogether.
This, of course, never happens. You almost never see it coming, so almost never have the chance of avoiding the accident - however nimble your vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that most of these new developments (i.e. NCAP ratings) are FUD dreamt up by the industry to get you to ditch your perfectly good old car in favour of a bright shiny new one.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 09:17 PM

This, of course, never happens. You almost never see it coming, so almost never have the chance of avoiding the accident - however nimble your vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that most of these new developments (i.e. NCAP ratings) are FUD dreamt up by the industry to get you to ditch your perfectly good old car in favour of a bright shiny new one.
It's happened to me several times. The only way you won't see a head-on collision is if you're blind.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 09:31 PM

It's happened to me several times.
And because you were driving a small, nimble vehicle you were able to avoid the collision? Pull the other one.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 09:37 PM

And because you were driving a small, nimble vehicle you were able to avoid the collision? Pull the other one.
Not exactly small, but yes.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 09:44 PM

Not true.

A small, maneuverable car with the latest in safety features build in will give you a much higher chance of survival in an accident than most SUVs.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2005, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
Not really that funny. The quality of cars correlates more with the company than the nationality of the citizens that are building them. All these attacks on American/Canadian/whatever workers coming from all sides is just plain nonsense.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan (and Lexus, Acura, Infiniti) build more reliable cars than Ford/GM/Chrysler no matter where they are built ... some are built in Japan and some in the US. Its more about having a tightly controlled and very precise production procedures than whether this or that nationality "cares about quality" more or less than another (c'mon folks ... give the "x-nationality is inherently more y than another" nonsense a rest). Japanese producers implemented Statistical Process Control earlier and more uniformly than US producers. And they're still in the lead in that regard.

I just deleted a long list of points I was going to make regarding the incredible FUD throughout this entire thread but it was getting long and boring so I'll just leave it at this (short and boring ):
First, RTFA. Next, look at the current value of the dollar. Look at where GM is bleeding money. Look at the OT that GM wants to pile on at Kilbey's plant. It all makes complete sense if people would just use their heads rather than knee-jerking stereotypes and/or party lines all the time.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 09:56 PM

I thought that was due to a combination of high import tariffs and Toyota's inability to buy off congressmen like GM and Ford are, due to the lack of major industrial presence within the US.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 10:05 PM

About cars being small and nimble?

They are only as "small and nimble" as their owners and they are only as "small and nimble" as long as a drunk driver doesn't hit them, or someone rear-ends them in an intersection, or other scenarios where "small and nimble" is not a factor.

I will always pick a big huge Suburban XL over a small car anyday - if someone is going to hit me they can hit my big Suburban.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 25, 2005, 10:17 PM

I wonder what Kilbey's coworkers think of him, coming to work daily in a cheerleader's outfit?
They are right behind me. Are you one of those people who hate who you are working for? I wouldn't work for a company unless I could stand behind their product. You're just "different" I guess.

The facts are, GM is not making much of its money from the car manufacturing side of operations. The profits come primarily from their financing arm, GMAC.
The European side is what is draining GM right now. GM is still making tons of money in it's North American Operations (NAO).

I would tend to believe that the experts on Wall Street know a tad bit more about financing and and economics than GM's cheerleader.
I'll give you a little tip. You know those books that tell you how to make moeny in Vegas? If they are making so much money in Vegas why would they waste the time telling you how to do it?

If you don't get the analogy tough luck. I won't waste my time, even if GM is paying me to do it, to explain it to you.

As to the Jimmy anecdote; you were indeed unusually fortunate. My son-in-laws parents bought a Jimmy new in 1999, and they've had nothing but trouble with it, especially with front end ***BLAH BLAH BLAH***already replaced them, and after two plus years of literally driving a clunker!
For you being a mechanic your relatives sure have a lot of problems with their cars. Everytime there is a GM discussion on here you relate some new problem someone you are related, to even yourself, is having with a GM car. You must be a helluva mechanic. I guess the only saying is true: "never buy a mechanic's car".

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 10:26 PM

I don't know where you got the impression that I am currently a mechanic; I haven't done that professionally in almost 30 years, and I haven't worked on my own cars, nor my families' and friends' cars, in almost as long.

It really doesn't matter where GM is making it's money from; the facts are that their market share is declining, particularly in it's most important market, the U. S. (and steaily continues to do so), and it's credit rating is just one or two notches above junk bond rating, and it's debt is $291 billion! Unfortunately for you, the reality is that GM is not doing well overall, and those analysts that tell it as they see it, as opposed to what you'd like to believe, have a much deeper understanding and knowledge of GM's financials than you do, and that's reflected in the drop of the value of their stock. There's nothing wrong with being a cheelrleader for your employer. I do the same thing, but I also can distinguish between my fantasies and reality.
( Last edited by OldManMac; Jan 25, 2005 at 10:37 PM. )
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 25, 2005, 10:29 PM

I don't know where you got the impression that I am currently a mechanic; I haven't done that professionally in almost 30 years, and I haven't worked on my own cars, nor my families' and friends' cars, in almost as long.
I got the impression that you were a mechinaic here. You have commented about how you were a mechanic many times. You use it as qualification almost everytime there's a car thread on here.

Are you saying you know very little about cars now? That, I could understand.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 10:41 PM

I do follow the auto industry still, and many of the basic questions asked here, such as the one last week about the car that would run for a few minutes and then quit, are fairly easy to give a basic diagnosis on. On that particular thread, many were telling the poster to check his battery, and electrical system, etc., while it was fairly easy to discern that it was a fuel delivery problem, simply by the poster's description of what was happening. I have never made a specific diagnosis on something I'm not sure, nor would I ever do so.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 25, 2005, 10:48 PM

I do follow the auto industry still, and many of the basic questions asked here, such as the one last week about the car that would run for a few minutes and then quit, are fairly easy to give a basic diagnosis on. On that particular thread, many were telling the poster to check his battery, and electrical system, etc., while it was fairly easy to discern that it was a fuel delivery problem, simply by the poster's description of what was happening. I have never made a specific diagnosis on something I'm not sure, nor would I ever do so.
Talk about backpedaling...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ic#post1795423

and...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ic#post1946469

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
About cars being small and nimble?

They are only as "small and nimble" as their owners and they are only as "small and nimble" as long as a drunk driver doesn't hit them, or someone rear-ends them in an intersection, or other scenarios where "small and nimble" is not a factor.

I will always pick a big huge Suburban XL over a small car anyday - if someone is going to hit me they can hit my big Suburban.
You better hope that drunk doesn't hit the side. No way you'll be able to move that hunk of steel and even if you do you'll most likely roll anyway.

I don't see where you get this idea from. Why not simply buy a safe care instead of one that gives the illusion of safety? I'd much rather be in an AWD Acura that I know will keep me safe in an accident and help me avoid one.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 25, 2005, 10:52 PM

Back on topic:

I am not sure you can access this link, but here's the headline:

GM 'Junk' Bond Concerns Eased
Financial Times

Lehman's move to add Fitch to its index means struggling car maker may well retain investment grade: * Coup for rating agency

January 25, 2005

By Jenny Wiggins

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 11:06 PM

What's your point? What are you trying to say?

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 11:13 PM

You better hope that drunk doesn't hit the side. No way you'll be able to move that hunk of steel and even if you do you'll most likely roll anyway.
I saw a rolled over Expedition yesterday and it didn't look pretty.
Why not simply buy a safe care instead of one that gives the illusion of safety? I'd much rather be in an AWD Acura that I know will keep me safe in an accident and help me avoid one.
Some people just see 'bigger is better' - that's why H2s are selling well. I can understand a Suburban for transporting kids and all, but when the mom's on the phone and trying to calm her kids down in the back seat while driving there is no way she'd be able to avoid an accident anyways. I guess in those shoes it's better to drive a big car that will be able to take out a mailbox here or there. It's a losing battle.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 25, 2005, 11:14 PM

What's your point? What are you trying to say?
The same point I made a few posts ago.

For someone who claims to have been a mechanic, you sure seem to have a lot of problems with cars or are related to people who have a lot of problems with cars.

Which basically says to me that you really don't know that much about cars.

Or have horrible luck when buying cars. But there seems to be too much of a trend for that to be true.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2005, 11:32 PM

The same point I made a few posts ago.

For someone who claims to have been a mechanic, you sure seem to have a lot of problems with cars or are related to people who have a lot of problems with cars.

Which basically says to me that you really don't know that much about cars.

Or have horrible luck when buying cars. But there seems to be too much of a trend for that to be true.
I see. So the service departments in dealerships, and the many independent repair shops, are just there for window dressing, right? That's why there's a national shortage of over 60,000 good, certified auto techs, right? It's my fault that GM makes cars that are known to eat brakes, or control arms, or are known to have problems with intake manifold gaskets on certain engine models. Only Kilbey buys cars that never have problems until he sells them or trades them in, right? I love Macs, and I used to work for Apple as well, but even they do have occasional problems, unless they're owned by Kilbey.

If you want to do some more digging, I also posted that I have a daughter who has worked in a large independent repair shop for a couple of years, as parts manager, and that she also made sure they stocked three sets of intake manifold gaskets for the 3.1L GM engines, because they're known to leak, and that she stocked brake pads, because they're known to wear out much faster than on most import brands, including the many VWs I've owned, and driven to high mileage, without as many problems as the domestics I've owned, and why I'm probably going to go back to an import brand next time, after trying a domestic last time. I've also posted many of the problems that I've had with my Grand AM, as compared to the same problems on import brands, and noted that the imports had much higher mileage before similar repairs occured, such as having to replace the brake pads on Grand AM every 25 to 30K (which is common on GM products), as opposed to 70 to 90K on every VW I've owned, and a Ford import I've owned.

Keep trying.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 26, 2005, 12:56 AM

I see. So the service departments in dealerships, and the many independent repair shops, are just there for window dressing, right? That's why there's a national shortage of over 60,000 good, certified auto techs, right? It's my fault that GM makes cars that are known to eat brakes, or control arms, or are known to have problems with intake manifold gaskets on certain engine models. Only Kilbey buys cars that never have problems until he sells them or trades them in, right? I love Macs, and I used to work for Apple as well, but even they do have occasional problems, unless they're owned by Kilbey.
Huh? You sure do ramble there. What does you knowing very little about how to fix cars have to do with the price of tea in China?

For your information, I have owned 3 trouble free Macs. I buy Apple products for basically the same reason I buy GM products; they just work. No futzing. No tinkering. Use it and forget about it. But you, the old, wise experienced mechanic has tons of troubles with his car. Maybe you aren't so wise or such a good mechanic.

If you want to do some more digging, I also posted that I have a daughter who has worked in a large independent repair shop for a couple of years, as parts manager, and that she also made sure they stocked three sets of intake manifold gaskets for the 3.1L GM engines, because they're known to leak, and that she stocked brake pads, because they're known to wear out much faster than on most import brands, including the many VWs I've owned, and driven to high mileage, without as many problems as the domestics I've owned, and why I'm probably going to go back to an import brand next time, after trying a domestic last time. I've also posted many of the problems that I've had with my Grand AM, as compared to the same problems on import brands, and noted that the imports had much higher mileage before similar repairs occured, such as having to replace the brake pads on Grand AM every 25 to 30K (which is common on GM products), as opposed to 70 to 90K on every VW I've owned, and a Ford import I've owned.

Keep trying.
Look karl, go back to owning your vws. Enjoy their lower quality ratings and be happy. Maybe then you'll stop giving FUD here.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by BoomStick:

The new GTO? I've never laughed so hard. It doesn't even look like a GTO. It looks like a clone of the other identiccal body styles in GM's lineup.
Spot on!

They are the re-badged Holden Monaro! (Or the Vauxhall Monaro in the UK).

Designed by Holden (GM brand in Australia) in Australia. Everyone loves it here!

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 02:28 AM

You've got to bear in mind that no only GM run in the trouble like that. Ford and DiamlerChrysler ran into similar problem in the US. Those problem actually exists for more than a few years. It's only those "0% finance" that the car maker offered for the last few years keep people buying cars.

One thing I can see problem with those car firms is that why would you have so many different brands for one company to sell cars?

For GM in US, you have Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Oldsmobile, Saturn and Hummer (and I haven't count SAAB as GM purchased it only a few years back). Chevrolet tried to market cars against Pontiac, and Cadillac against Brick... what's the point?

At least for Ford, they only have Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brands in US (again, I excluded the ones Ford purchased for the last 10 years or so e.g. Volvo, Mazda and Land Rover). This makes less overhead cost and people consumer won't be as confused.

Look at Toyota, they only have Toyota and Lexus for luxury cars, plus Hino for trucks and that's it. KISS principle always works.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2005, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
Designed by Holden (GM brand in Australia) in Australia. Everyone loves it here!
Yeah but it's probably thought of as a small car in the States. We should have added another six foot and fins for the US market.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 02:56 AM

Most Fords are made in Canada also.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 26, 2005, 12:17 PM

Most Fords are made in Canada also.
Why are you spewing this FUD? It's simply not true.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2005, 12:30 PM

You're right, Kilbey. I made it all up. Every GM car I've ever owned (three or 4) has gone one million miles with the original windshield wipers and tires, and battery, and brakes, etc. I have no knowledge of anything to do with automobiles whatsoever.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 26, 2005, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
... and Cadillac against Brick ...
Who makes those? I want one.

A "Brick 500". That'd be cool.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 26, 2005, 01:55 PM

He doesn't know how. His US insecurity makes him say stupid things like that.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 26, 2005, 01:58 PM

Pfff, ya you just know it all don't you.
Obviously knows more than you did

Isn't anything with "made is the USA" stamp on it avoided by even most Americans?
Your kidding right?

You are even more clueless than I thought.

roam
Jan 26, 2005, 02:04 PM

Actually just browsing around everyone else is saying Canada holds the top two north american GM plants based on quality and efficiency. Of course it may be as you say that canadians are inherently lazy and stupid. Being one I wouldn't really know.
I wouldn't touch an American-built car even if you held my family hostage. Bag o shite, the vast majority of them, IMO.

roam
Jan 26, 2005, 02:08 PM

I seriously wish I could be more like him in regards to his attitude to people and life in general.
Fat chance of that.

roam
Jan 26, 2005, 02:10 PM

Damn right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules