Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!
sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 11:01 PM

I was standing in my kitchen a few minutes after starting the dishwasher. I then noticed my cell phone was not in my shirt pocket. Looked around real quick and then realized what happened. I yank open the dishwasher and there it was on the bottom rack, water dripping off it. My one day old phone! Ripped open the battery cover and pulled out the battery and SIM card. I then spent the next three hours tearing apart the phone and wiping and drying off every piece of the phone I could.

After doing this, I put the phone back together, inserted the SIM card and battery and depressed the on button. It worked! Made a few calls to test it out and all seems fine except for the LCD screen. If you look at the LCD at any angle, there is signs that water entered the display assembly. Hopped onto ebay, $40 for a new screen so I bought it.
( Last edited by sideus; Jun 5, 2005 at 11:07 PM. )

brapper
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 11:11 PM

shitty.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 5, 2005, 11:13 PM

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 11:20 PM

You know those nokia brick phones everyone used to have? well those things are unbelievably durable! a friend of mine left his in a pocket and it ended up going through the washer. The next day he was using it with no problems. He also had one of those clear face-plates... you could still see water in it while he was using it. Now THATS quality!
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Jun 5, 2005 at 11:21 PM. Reason: eye kant spell guud)

sideus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 11:22 PM

My first cell phone was a nokia I got in 1999. That was the best cell phone I ever had.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 11:28 PM

Ahh... I was hoping this was another Star Wars thread.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2005, 11:36 PM

My T610 fell into the cats water bowl. I freaked too, but just like yours it worked fine.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 12:18 AM

Dropped my Motorola Nextel pos into a 16 oz cup of coffee. Best thing I ever did to the phone, because it was cooked.
Work punished me by getting another Motorola/Nextel phone. That sucked.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 01:06 AM

At least its super clean now.

I once set my Japanese cell phone on fire. Just for a second. And not very much of it. I was drinking too much in a bar... yeah... Good thing it was a super cheap phone.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 01:09 AM

I dropped my phone ('04 Samsung flip phone) into a bowl of chicken soup a few months ago. Still works, though there are oddities. For example, it changed my ring tone to a meowing cat and I cannot change it back. Oh well!
Be happy.

ambush
Banned
Jun 6, 2005, 01:16 AM

lol a meowing ring that sucks!

my dad left his in the snow for like several hours. it still worked. I actually LOVE retro nokia cells.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by sideus
I was standing in my kitchen a few minutes after starting the dishwasher. I then noticed my cell phone was not in my shirt pocket. Looked around real quick and then realized what happened. I yank open the dishwasher and there it was on the bottom rack, water dripping off it. My one day old phone! Ripped open the battery cover and pulled out the battery and SIM card. I then spent the next three hours tearing apart the phone and wiping and drying off every piece of the phone I could.

After doing this, I put the phone back together, inserted the SIM card and battery and depressed the on button. It worked! Made a few calls to test it out and all seems fine except for the LCD screen. If you look at the LCD at any angle, there is signs that water entered the display assembly. Hopped onto ebay, $40 for a new screen so I bought it.

you might want to take your phone apart again and wash it with pure distilled water.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
You know those nokia brick phones everyone used to have? well those things are unbelievably durable! a friend of mine left his in a pocket and it ended up going through the washer. The next day he was using it with no problems. He also had one of those clear face-plates... you could still see water in it while he was using it. Now THATS quality!
Nokia 5110 - they were practically indestructable. That's probably the reason the phone companies had to start introducing colour screens and cameras. Everyone would still have 5110's otherwise.

My housemate's Nokia 8310 got put through a full washing machine cycle at 40 degrees C, and it still works fine
12" Rev B PB

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:18 AM

Am I the only one who thinks it's funny a guy with a sideus handle titled this topic "Nooooooooooooooooooooo! "?
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 05:22 AM

Would have been better if his nick were Vader
12" Rev B PB

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 09:14 AM

One of my older phones 8210 (before Nokia started to suck) went through the washing machine in my pocket and I'm pretty sure it was turned on as well. Dried it off, and it was clean fresh and working (at least for another couple of years).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules