Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lost Password, don't have OS X disk for a while

Lost Password, don't have OS X disk for a while
mac freak
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 09:38 PM

Hey guys. Odd problem here.
My younger sister has a Mac Mini and has forgotten her password, which she needs to install drivers for a new printer and scanner. I have plenty of OS X disks I could use to fix it, but they're all back at school. I also have OS X disks from a new Intel iMac, but those won't boot a Mac Mini. Is there ANY way to reset the password? Unix trickery is okay. A reinstall of OS X will do as well. Any suggestions? Or will I have to mail some disks back once I return to school?
Be happy.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by mac freak
Hey guys. Odd problem here.
My younger sister has a Mac Mini and has forgotten her password, which she needs to install drivers for a new printer and scanner. I have plenty of OS X disks I could use to fix it, but they're all back at school. I also have OS X disks from a new Intel iMac, but those won't boot a Mac Mini. Is there ANY way to reset the password? Unix trickery is okay. A reinstall of OS X will do as well. Any suggestions? Or will I have to mail some disks back once I return to school?
If you have the Intel iMac, you can boot the mini into target disk mode and connect it to the iMac. You should be able to reset the password from there.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 01:32 AM

Thanks! But I ended up doing a fresh system install off some 10.3 PowerBook disks, which proved to be a mistake, since all of the 10.4 installed apps (e.g. Safari) won't run at all. I'm just going to mail the official Tiger DVDs back in a week when I get back...ah well.
Be happy.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2006, 09:57 PM

You could have used the 10.3 disks to reset the password.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules