Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook - black or white?

MacBook - black or white? (Page 3)
skalie
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
And anyone looking from behind can
tell with even a casual glance that you are using Mac OS X, not Windows.
Yes, but you can run OS X on windows.

Dave B
May 24, 2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by skalie
Yes, but you can run OS X on windows.
Doh!! LOL I didn't even think of that! (not that I would ever use Windows in a public place).
Pismo 400 Mhz 512MB 80GB 7500RPM Tiger/OS 9
iMac G5 20" 2 Ghz Rev B 250GB 2 GB RAM Tiger
iMac G3 600 Mhz 384MB 160GB 7500RPM Airport CD-RW Tiger/OS 9
iMac 233 Mhz 384MB 80 GB 7500RPM, MCE 24X CD-RW Tiger/OS 9

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 03:17 PM

I noticed that on the lids of the white MB's just about every one had a large scuff on it.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

mathew_m
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
I noticed that on the lids of the white MB's just about every one had a large scuff on it.
You're just being picky.

I wound up ordering the base line white. Why? The black is appealing but the bottom line is that I'm buying it to get work done when on the go. The black premium the more I think about it just ain't worth it. Within six months I bet that black will be available across the line. Besides the white as others have said is just more modern and even optimistic looking. I guess if I needed to impress 'others' more and were using it primarily for presentations then I spend the extra for the black.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 24, 2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
You're just being picky.

I wound up ordering the base line white. Why? The black is appealing but the bottom line is that I'm buying it to get work done when on the go. The black premium the more I think about it just ain't worth it. Within six months I bet that black will be available across the line. Besides the white as others have said is just more modern and even optimistic looking. I guess if I needed to impress 'others' more and were using it primarily for presentations then I spend the extra for the black.
I'm not sure I understand you there...

I gave presentations/lectures all the time with my white iBook. I will be doing the same with the white MacBook that replaces it. Also, the guy who runs our departmental lecture series uses his white iBook too.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 04:12 PM

You're just being picky.

Big permanent scuffs on a week old laptop is being picky?

BTW I own a 4 year old iBook in white.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I'm not sure I understand you there...

I gave presentations/lectures all the time with my white iBook. I will be doing the same with the white MacBook that replaces it. Also, the guy who runs our departmental lecture series uses his white iBook too.
I mean as in displaying video or photos. The blackbook matches FrontRow better and is overall more 'pro' looking. If I were doing corporate work I would choose black just for the added sex appeal. Of course it's 'pro' look is only skin deep.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 04:19 PM

Big permanent scuffs on a week old laptop is being picky?
If I remember correctly the white has the same finish as the iPods so yeah it's going to get scuffed. I don't disagree as I think the black is probably a more robust finish.

As it is I don't need the superdrive and I need to figure in the ram upgrade. The base model is trully the best deal. Also down the line when black is no longer a premium and they include a separate graphics chip (it'll happen), I'll sell my whitebook and go with the latest model.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2006, 04:20 PM

I mean as in displaying video or photos. The blackbook matches FrontRow better and is overall more 'pro' looking. If I were doing corporate work I would choose black just for the added sex appeal. Of course it's 'pro' look is only skin deep.
Trust me, when you're giving a lecture, nobody cares what colour your laptop is. And I always use an LCD projector for displaying the lecture and/or video/photos anyways.

As for sex appeal, several women out of the blue that I didn't know have asked to see my white iBook. NEVER has that happened with my TiBook. Too "corporate" I guess.

skalie
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 04:22 PM

White stays cooler in the sun, btw.

( tip for cricket fans )

mathew_m
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 04:46 PM

Trust me, when you're giving a lecture, nobody cares what colour your laptop is. And I always use an LCD projector for displaying the lecture and/or video/photos anyways.

As for sex appeal, several women out of the blue that I didn't know have asked to see my white iBook. NEVER has that happened with my TiBook. Too "corporate" I guess.
Well you're in college. Night and day compared to the corporate world where black would = status. White unfortunately for those familiar with the ibook line = consumer.

I personally like the black. But I'm rational enough to know that I don't need it for my purposes.

Dave B
May 24, 2006, 04:55 PM

Well that should settle it once and for all.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2006, 05:03 PM

Well you're in college.
Errr. no.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 05:07 PM

Do you think having a girlish fashion accessory like a white MacBook will make you more attractive to girls? I think that it will naturally draw over the girls because its so 'cute' but it could make its owner seem a bit effeminate.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 05:08 PM

Night and day compared to the corporate world where black would = status.
You're right about that. There are many products like phones that didn't sell well because they didn't have a "Serious" colour.

Anywho, image aside the black frame will be easier on the eyes for most activities.

Look at most current Gen TV's. Even if the TV is silver they still put a black frame around the screen. I didn't get the last model of the TV I wanted because it didn't have a black frame, it makes a huge difference.

A black iPod video would also be better for watching videos over a white.

Most people won't care or notice but there is a difference for sure.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Do you think having a girlish fashion accessory like a white MacBook will make you more attractive to girls? I think that it will naturally draw over the girls because its so 'cute' but it could make its owner seem a bit effeminate.
Hey, whatever works.

P.S. I guess that makes all iBook and iMac owners effeminate then.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 05:14 PM

Is it true that the blackbook is sexier than the white one? I can't tell from pictures.

In pictures it looks so-so and the Apple logo against the black matte looks really old school. Is it better in person?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2006, 05:20 PM

It's all personal preference. I think the black looks good, but I do prefer the look of the white. Also, the fact that the black costs outrageously more and is much more prone to show grease makes getting the white a no brainer for me.

Others prefer the black and that's great too, but for them I don't think it's a no brainer to get the black, because of the stupid price premium.

Dave B
May 24, 2006, 05:27 PM

Hey, whatever works.

P.S. I guess that makes all iBook and iMac owners effeminate then.
LOL

As long as I'm not paying $150 extra for nothing more than a "sexy" black finish, I'll take my effeminence™
and laugh all the way to the bank. On the other hand, the girls will appreciate how cool I am
for not falling for something––also a possible metaphor for someone––based purely on looks.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 05:38 PM

Is it true that the blackbook is sexier than the white one? I can't tell from pictures.
It is totally a matter of tastes. They both look cool.

The white is more classic Apple and different but the black comes of more hard core and serious.

You choose which you like more.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 06:43 PM

In pictures it looks so-so and the Apple logo against the black matte looks really old school. Is it better in person?
The black is sexier. I Couldn't buy a white one. I've owned 2 previous iBooks, it was time for a new look. Who cares if it cost me $150 more? I just won't go to the bar this weekend.

mathew_m
Senior User
May 25, 2006, 12:46 AM

Errr. no.
So where else does someone actually perform a "lecture"?

mathew_m
Senior User
May 25, 2006, 12:47 AM

The white is more classic Apple and different but the black comes of more hard core and serious.

You choose which you like more.
Exactly. It's also proof that Steve Jobs is a marketing genius. He knows that the majority of buyers like the black model better.

Pogobol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 01:26 PM

you never go white? well maybe.

anyways the black is the stealth color which im basically saying is wont stand out so bloody much.
especially when you'r eon the train in nyc and come wacko jumps on and decides your shiny book has caught his attention.

buyer beware!!!

ps- for designers the surrounding case on the black one will expose the 'view' more

alis

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 01:32 PM

Medical and School professions.
( Last edited by Socially Awkward Solo; May 25, 2006 at 02:33 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2006, 02:18 PM

North American and overseas conferences, local meetings, universities (not as a student), etc. Never once has anyone cared about the colour of my laptop. Actually, I lie. Once, one person in on of our business meetings said it looked good.

However, I have had a couple of comments about the cube transitions which I sometimes use in Keynote. They asked me where I got those "PowerPoint" transitions.

Now I can see someone preferring a more "corporate" look for personal preference, but when it really comes down to it, it doesn't make that much of a difference in the real world in your presentations, if the content is good. It's just a white laptop after all. It's not as if it's a pink and purple Barbie laptop or anything.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 04:27 PM

So my choice is between greasy smudges or dirty blobs? Suddenly a ThinkPad seems more appealing.
My Thinkpad also shows every fingerprint or greasy smudge that gets on it. Like the white ibook, you hardly notice it after the first week. I just ordered the blackbook.

porieux
Baninated
May 25, 2006, 06:33 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 06:32 AM. )

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
They are charging more for black?? LOL!
Where have you been the last week

MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Franz
What color MacBook do you like more - black or white?

It seems like everyone is buying the black one so far even though it's more expensive. Interested to see what you guys think.

White:

Black:

(Edit: this was supposed to be a poll, but I hit the back button by accident. If a mod can add the poll that would be nice ...)

I got a white 1.83 model and LOVE IT!!!!!

1 gig of RAM. This machine ROCKS!

Tom

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 10:16 PM

I've still only seen a black one in person. I think I like it better, but from the pictures I already though both models are the best-looking laptops Apple has ever made. My preference for black isn't universal, though: I think my G5 iMac looks great in white but would be terrible if black.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
They are charging more for black?? LOL!
no wai!

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 01:02 AM

Well guess I changed my mind. My MacBook started randomly shutting down, so went into the Apple store to see a "Genius" and he couldn't even get it to start with out turning off it's self, so he said he would swap it but they were out of white 2.0s. I was thinking about the black and finally saw one that wasn't used by a thousand people and was "Wow!" So now I'm the proud owner of a BlackBook, only had to pay the differance. Much better machine anyhow, screen isn't pink and the battery fits perfect (Other one didn't fit quite right), it really is sleek, if you have seen a clean one that hasn't been handled by hundreds if not thousands of people try to find one, you will be impressed!

So in honor of my new BlackBook and since some like my beauty pictures for desktops here are 4 of my BlackBook.

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonn/BlackBook1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jasonn/BlackBook3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jasonn/BlackBook6.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jasonn/BlackBook7.jpg
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

mathew_m
Senior User
May 28, 2006, 01:25 AM

Nice! I'd like to see more but maybe from some different angles of the Macbook.
( Last edited by mathew_m; May 28, 2006 at 01:39 AM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 03:43 AM

Anywho, image aside the black frame will be easier on the eyes for most activities.
True, it happened to me coming from a Pismo to an Al Book. I used to complain about it to some friends, never-mind, they though I was kidding since the Al frame was so tiny… surprising enough it was even more noticeable in a dark room.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2006, 07:22 AM

Star-Fire, again, congrats on those absolutely beautiful pics of the MB. I'm going to take one as a desktop background for my BlackBook. Hope you don't mind.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2006, 07:27 AM

Nice pictures, Star-Fire. Do you think the problem you had has anything to do with the fact that you took apart your machine to redo the thermal paste? Do you plan to do that with the new one?

michaelb
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 07:36 AM

Do new BlackBooks have an odor?

Sounds strange I know, but I was looking at some demo models and could swear the black one was giving off a sort of a rubber-like smell. Sort of like a new pair of Nikes when first taken out of the box.

Not saying that there's anything wrong, just wondering if the rubberized plastic coating has some sort of chemical residue.

Can anyone with a new black MacBook confirm?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2006, 07:44 AM

I'd say my BlackBook had the same 'new Mac smell' all my Macs have when I open the box. I love it. It's probably some drug Apple sprays onto their hardware and I'm certainly hooked.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Nice pictures, Star-Fire. Do you think the problem you had has anything to do with the fact that you took apart your machine to redo the thermal paste? Do you plan to do that with the new one?

No it was fine when I did that, it just stared that 2 days ago, I don't know why it did, hardware test ran fine, put all the Apple mem and HD back in, still did it. Most of the time you woul hit the power button and it would run for 2 secs and shut off. I might do it on this one, it's running pretty warm.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2006, 11:40 AM

Macs with B.O.

Hmmm....

badtz
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 02:57 AM

wow, before I went to the Apple Store today, I was completely thinking the black would be much better! I was really looking forward to the matte finish of the black (versus the glossy white) ..... but to my surprise, the black finish imo, was not that nice. It marks very easily (I tried rubbing the edge of my nail on it and it left a mark that wouldn't rub off [at least not easily]). And the white accessories that go along with it, instead of matching black ended up bothering me too. Oh well.....

Still waiting on the sub-15" MacBook Pro.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 05:08 AM

Exactly, badtz. If Apple had done black *right* then I would consider it, but not like this.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
If Apple had done black *right* then I would consider it...
And in your opinion, what would doing it 'right' mean?

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
And in your opinion, what would doing it 'right' mean?
I don't know, but I'll know when I see it, Simon!

My PB 1400 was about black, and it didn't show grease stains! That's black "done right" in my view! Now, that doesn't mean that Apple couldn't have done something different and right, but not what it did with the MacBook! At least, that's my view, as I've said!

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Star-Fire
Well guess I changed my mind. My MacBook started randomly shutting down, so went into the Apple store to see a "Genius" and he couldn't even get it to start with out turning off it's self, so he said he would swap it but they were out of white 2.0s. I was thinking about the black and finally saw one that wasn't used by a thousand people and was "Wow!" So now I'm the proud owner of a BlackBook, only had to pay the differance. Much better machine anyhow, screen isn't pink and the battery fits perfect (Other one didn't fit quite right), it really is sleek, if you have seen a clean one that hasn't been handled by hundreds if not thousands of people try to find one, you will be impressed!

So in honor of my new BlackBook and since some like my beauty pictures for desktops here are 4 of my BlackBook.

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonn/BlackBook1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jasonn/BlackBook3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jasonn/BlackBook6.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jasonn/BlackBook7.jpg
Looks great, but you could've focused on something else than the command key.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 01:23 PM

After visiting the store twice, WHITE is the way to go. The BlackBook scratches like CRAZY!!! My fingernail scratched the case, which I will add does NOT rub out. It's pretty bad, not counting how the trackpad looks like crap after little use (finger oil). The white is beautiful, scratch-resistant (much more so than the blackbook - the matte black surface attracts scratches). I bought my white MacBook yesterday - it's wonderful, it's very Apple (the BlackBook looks like any other Dell or Gateway notebook).

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 02:06 PM

To me the white scratched easier, the one I had after only a week had those very fine micro scratches in it, the black cleans very easy with a Mr Clean sponge thing (whatever it's called) took all the prints right off with almost no rubbing. Both are nice, I'm just happy the black dosen't really look like a PC laptop most of them are more greyish black, the Macbook is like negitive space, it's black black.

Yeah I have some more photos I will share, I also made a nice desktop for blackbook owners check it out here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/33990408/

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 02:07 PM

Are you ****in kidding me? It's not a Rainbow Brite laptop dude, it's white! Welcome to the 21st century...If a PLAIN WHITE laptop has you worried about looking effeminate, maybe there are other things you need to fix first.

gjbeprise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
I'd settle for a bit of greesiness on my BlackBook palmrests over permanent dirty blobs on the white any day.
I have yet to see a permanent dirty blob on an iBook, even one four years old...

Josh - I completely agree. White=effeminate? *rolls eyes*
( Last edited by Mongoos150; May 29, 2006 at 02:25 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules