Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mushkin RAM - Ever heard of it???

Mushkin RAM - Ever heard of it???
masugu
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 06:21 PM

$109 per 1 gig stick at Frys... Never heard of Mushkin. Sounds like a Yiddish brand ;-)

Can any one comment on quality / reliability?
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2006, 06:35 PM

Mushkin is a very respected maker of ram.

I'd go with the $75 Patriot ram at newegg.com, though.

pcw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 09:08 PM

Yah mushkin is a very respected memory brand (especially in the overclocking community).

ChuckD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
$109 per 1 gig stick at Frys... Never heard of Mushkin. Sounds like a Yiddish brand ;-)

Can any one comment on quality / reliability?
While I have another set of 2GB of RAM from Omni Technologies on its way (first set had problems), I decided to pick up a 1GB stick from Fry'st to tide me over, and I'm using the Mushkin now. It works great - no problems whatsoever using in tandem with the one of the 256MB sticks that came with the MacBook.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 1, 2006, 09:13 PM

They're a good name. The RAM I've bought from them was solidly reliable and for a great price, too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hndsmman
Jun 1, 2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by pcw
(especially in the overclocking community).
LoL yeah. I've built a few machines with Mushkin ram. Great stuff. Their new heatsink design kicks ass, too.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 09:21 PM

How can you not like a company named Mushkin?

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 1, 2006, 11:43 PM

Thanks all!!!

I chickened out on buying the RAM today on the way home from work. I had a plan...buy the RAM at Frys, get the BlacBook at the Apple store and get is set up tonight....I still love the TI PB I have...and I think I might wait for the next bump up - say for XMAS... Oy vey, my Mushkin

baharnabarn
Jun 2, 2006, 02:00 AM

Mushkin is a very respected maker of ram. this is ture, I hear their name alot in big time builders and over clockers, for desktop systems not sure about laptop stuff

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 03:26 AM

I got the patriot ram, wouldn't install in my macbook; took it back to frys and they confirmed it was defective. Replaced it with mushkin and all was well.

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 02:15 PM

Well...apparently Frys is now out of this memory...all they have left is "generic" at $179 for the pair. Hmm.....what to do now. Supposedly fully guaranteed. Was thikning of driving to the Sillycon Valley - picking the RAM up - then getting my BlacBook today.

hndsmman
Jun 3, 2006, 05:14 PM

Well...apparently Frys is now out of this memory...all they have left is "generic" at $179 for the pair. Hmm.....what to do now. Supposedly fully guaranteed. Was thikning of driving to the Sillycon Valley - picking the RAM up - then getting my BlacBook today.
newegg.com my friend

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 3, 2006, 08:25 PM

Saw that Patriot deal, but just ordered 2 gigs from OWC. $225 out the door...

Seemed to be more positive chatter about OWC. Thanks just the same DJ

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2006, 11:20 PM

Saw that Patriot deal, but just ordered 2 gigs from OWC. $225 out the door...

Seemed to be more positive chatter about OWC. Thanks just the same DJ
You can have the positive chatter. I'll keep the extra change in my pocket.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 4, 2006, 02:52 AM

Touche... ;-)

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 02:02 PM

OWC SUCKS !

Not so hot on these guys...

These weenies would not ship to a different shipping address!! I realize that fraud is rampant on this new-fangledthing called the web, but why offer an alternate shipping address form if you can't fulfill to it?

I got hold of an automaton cust svc person - comlete with baby crying in the background - who toldme I could fill out a bunch of forms, send a photo copy of my DL and then I could have my memory sent to my UPS store address. Whatever. I just cancelled my order and went direct to Mushkin. Paid a few bucks more for 2-day Fed Ex. Spoke to a real rep and was told my memory would ship today.

Should be enjoying 2 gigs in my BlacBook soon!

finboy
Jun 6, 2006, 11:56 AM

OWC SUCKS !

Not so hot on these guys...
I've been using OWC for almost ten years now, several times a year. They know their stuff! And I've never had a problem returning something that didn't work (one or two DOAs in all that time).

As for Mushkin, Fry's sells it and I've used a bunch of it in PCs and Macs (SODIMMS). No problem so far.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by finboy
I've been using OWC for almost ten years now, several times a year. They know their stuff! And I've never had a problem returning something that didn't work (one or two DOAs in all that time).

As for Mushkin, Fry's sells it and I've used a bunch of it in PCs and Macs (SODIMMS). No problem so far.
Muskin will make good swiftly if you should ever have memory difficulties.

We purchased a matched pair of 1gb sticks for our MacBooks from Mushkin and saw remarkable speed increases, especially running XP Pro in Parallels interface.

See: http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/guide/apple/?app=38

There's a guy named Cris Doud in Tech Support (800.569.1868x208) who's the most responsive technician I've ever encountered by phone.

They had a matched pair out overnite to us.

We replaced the Hynix branded 256mb pair standard Apple installed memory with the Mushkin.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
Muskin will make good swiftly if you should ever have memory difficulties.

We purchased a matched pair of 1gb sticks for our MacBooks from Mushkin and saw remarkable speed increases, especially running XP Pro in Parallels interface.

See: http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/guide/apple/?app=38

There's a guy named Cris Doud in Tech Support (800.569.1868x208) who's the most responsive technician I've ever encountered by phone.

They had a matched pair out overnite to us.

We replaced the Hynix branded 256mb pair standard Apple installed memory with the Mushkin.
Almost forgot the current Frys link.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/470...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

We got these originally and they were mis matched and Mushkin exchanged and promptly corrected the issue without involving Outpost

Porco
Jun 7, 2006, 01:42 AM

Does anyone have the rebate PDF available? I can't get it on the Fry's site.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Porco
Does anyone have the rebate PDF available? I can't get it on the Fry's site.
The pulled the PDF, probably cuz they're out of stock.

Call Outpost and ask or call direct to Mushkin and negotiate the price.

The ones I ordered from Outpost had to go back to Mushkin anyway for an exchange for a matched pair. The first ones were only 533 bus speed.

Yes, there is a noticable speed difference.

See link: http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/guide/apple/?app=38

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
The pulled the PDF, probably cuz they're out of stock.

Call Outpost and ask or call direct to Mushkin and negotiate the price.

The ones I ordered from Outpost had to go back to Mushkin anyway for an exchange for a matched pair. The first ones were only 533 bus speed.

Yes, there is a noticable speed difference.

See link: http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/guide/apple/?app=38

So HouseSold....you never had any problem getting your Mushkin RAM into your MacBook??? I am hoping my new two 1 gig sticks slide right in tomorrow when I get home...

Thanks

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 01:25 PM

So HouseSold....you never had any problem getting your Mushkin RAM into your MacBook??? I am hoping my new two 1 gig sticks slide right in tomorrow when I get home...

Thanks
I had posted much more detail on installation in my post, but when I posted it after previously logging in, got a "you are not authorized to post" alert and didn't go through the 15 minutes again preparing the post.

Basically, I discovered:
1) There are varying memory circuit board thicknesses throughout the industry. (Samsung and Hynix, Apple's OEMs barring disputes and price wars, being the slimmest and easiest to install-we have 2 MacBooks here)

2) Technique and patience is everything. (We are not stuffing a suitcase for a trip)

3) Terry cloth towel on a flat generous table surface and the right, not rushed, Phillips head screwdriver with a long (preferably 5" shaft to clear the battery compartment and not scratch the case)

4) Before removing existing factory RAM and after removing the 'L' bracket by pulling its longer side away from the corner gently, carefully study the edges and distance the existing RAM sits in the socket. Notice the visual line between the compartment edge and the memory board edge for refitting your RAM (from Mushkin, in this case).
Note: Try only replacing one RAM chip 1st, for example the right side, so you can compare the installed one with your replacement one.

5) I used the long handle of a wooden cooking spoon ( the handle looks like a larger pencil shaft and is blunt on the end and non conductive and is softer than the circuit card itself) for seating the RAM.
Your MacBook can sit on its' front edge on your lap (perpendicularly with the open battery compartment facing you) while you use both hands (thumbs) and initially press your RAM in as far as possible. Finish with (in my case the spoon) pressing the center of the RAM chip as far as possible; then each side edge once firmly remembering or studing the remaining other original RAM chip for comparison. Remember it is a snug fit when seated, but don't use excessive force or get riled.

6) Repeat for the second RAM chip. Keep in mind, the removal levers may be hidden inside the RAM area (get happy) with the RAM chips before, after or during installation or removal.
Use a matchbook cover or business card folded to bring them outside (unless you're comfortable with a open paper clip)

7) Finally reboot (I always do FSCK on a reboot other than routine startup)
A) Look in system profile and click on memory to see if your RAM is 667 etc.
B) Run memtest ( for those unfamiliar- http://memtestosx.org/download/ ) a couple of times and/or Apple's Hardware diagnostic (extended) to really check the memory. Sometimes bad memory won't show up and can cause errors or worse yet , loss of data and go undetected for some time.

I hope this helps; post back with your experiences.
( Last edited by HouseSold; Jun 9, 2006 at 01:51 PM. )

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 01:46 PM

Hey Thanks!

Question - How do I do FSCK? Do I reboot normally right after?

I do have a wooden spoon so I will get it ready Saturday / post my experience.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 02:24 PM

Hey Thanks!

Question - How do I do FSCK? Do I reboot normally right after?

I do have a wooden spoon so I will get it ready Saturday / post my experience.
Not well known around town.

FSCK

After a complete shutdown.

Press power up button. (read this through once for concept)

Upon hearing startup chime (hopefully you didn't have mute on before you last shutdown)
press the Apple key (command key immediately beside the space bar) and the letter 'S' key simultaneously together the moment you hear the chime (in the ole days we had a few moments to do this, but now the new machines boot so quickly, we have to press as soon as the chime sounds)
Release the key combo when you see the dark screen and prompt appear ( root# ) If you are not sure, press the return key at this stage, once or twice to get the prompt alone.

At root# Type /sbin/fsck -fy (forward slash sbin forward slash fsck one space -fy return)
NOTE: there is a space entered after fsck and before -fy
Press return
On a MacBook and current OSX.4.6, this may take up to a minute; if errors are detected, this will self run again upon the first completion run

When FSCK completes at root#, Type either reboot or exit

After you have learned how to do this once or twice, it is automatic and all the detail above isn't necessary, except for the 1st time.

I personally like to run Repair permissions afterward also. Not necessary, but to me, sorta like using mouthwash after toothbrushing, can't hurt anything.

Memory prices are going back up, if you hadn't heard. I believe it was mentioned also on ArsTechnica.com
So filler up now, rather than later.

Xmas2Dump
Baninated
Jun 9, 2006, 02:42 PM

Newegg.com sells G.Skill RAM for $82- I have 2gb in my MacBook and it runs great, at 667mhz. There are also a ton of good reviews on the newegg product page of other intel mac users who have used G.Skill RAM.

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by themastermind1
Newegg.com sells G.Skill RAM for $82- I have 2gb in my MacBook and it runs great, at 667mhz. There are also a ton of good reviews on the newegg product page of other intel mac users who have used G.Skill RAM.
A lot of MacBook owners have also been using A Data memory. I used them in a new Toshiba we have. No probs

They just now received more stock (got an email) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211031

Never worry about NewEgg.

There are a lot of NewEggHeads on this forum.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 10:03 PM

I bought two 1 GB sticks of Mushkin PC2-5300 RAM a few days ago at Netlink (here in Vancouver). They were pretty much the only local retailer selling DDR2-667 1 GB SODIMMs, and they've been back-ordered for days. Fortunately I have a friend at their warehouse, and I went there directly to pick it up. ;-)

It works perfectly fine in 2.0 GHz MBP. AHT passed with nary a problem.

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 06:29 PM

Thanks to Housesold / all. Installed my Mushkin RAM last night. The RAM slipped in like Butta. I was so ready to push like a mofo, but not necessary. The biggest pain was getting the little screws on the L-Bar back in. The last screw woul NOT go in. My wife (who is more patient than I) took the little #00 screw driver apart and used the little tip to fasten the last screw. I thought I stripped it - or the cheapo screw driver I bought at Home Despot...

My system reads 2.0Gig of RAM at 667. I tied downloading Household's link to a test....but was put off by the wier site it took me to....

Does anyone think I need to do any further testing....or just get on with my MacBook life?

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 07:04 PM

Thanks to Housesold / all. Installed my Mushkin RAM last night. The RAM slipped in like Butta. I was so ready to push like a mofo, but not necessary. The biggest pain was getting the little screws on the L-Bar back in. The last screw would NOT go in. My wife (who is more patient than I) took the little #00 screw driver apart and used the little tip to fasten the last screw. I thought I stripped it - or the cheapo screw driver I bought at Home Despot...

My system reads 2.0Gig of RAM at 667. I tied downloading Household's link to a test....but was put off by the wier site it took me to....

Does anyone think I need to do any further testing....or just get on with my MacBook life?
More RAM opens more experiences, since you have less waiting. Congrats on your install success.

You won't need to go back in until next year when the 2gb sticks are out (they're out now, but $1,500. per chip ) at a better street price, like what we paid for our 1gb sticks. Intel says the Duo can address 4gb.

Anyone not sure of the screws locating their holes, can gently press toward the hole turning the screw backwards and listen for the click of the start thread of the screw when it's located well and then begin the screw tightening. Sometimes the 'L' bracket needs a poke in its corner to help the long leg align the screw holes.

Get out your champagne or head to Starbucks for some serious surfin' and show that Book off.
For sure, nothing is as impressive as walking into a wireless equipped place with your Book over your shoulder in its sleeve case and whipping it out to read while you enjoy some Jo.

I watched a couple in two locations iChatting with PhotoBooth distorted faces going on with a bigger crowd draw than the mall. Fun stuff.

The website weirdness you referred to was just the show page; the download occurs in the back ground in another window. Here's the primary link: click on Memtest 4.13 near the bottom to download.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...x=0&button.y=0

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 02:43 AM

Mushkin is awesome RAM. A lot of people on this board are buying Patriot or OWC ram... why, I don't know.

Here's my RAM preference in order:

Kingston
Crucial
Samsung
Mushkin
Corsair
Hynix

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 12, 2006, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by chipchen
Mushkin is awesome RAM. A lot of people on this board are buying Patriot or OWC ram... why, I don't know.

Kingston
Crucial
Samsung
Mushkin
Corsair
Hynix
Good list..you might want to qualify other factors such as reliability and track record with problems

ie: Samsung might be on top as leader all around, but may be lower because of price and they used to be Apple's own OEM fitted RAM
Hynix is now in most new Macs because of price and reliability and specs.
A-Data wasn't on your list but is receiving good reviews and is inexpensive and reliable
Kingston and Crucial have had occasional reliability issues with Macs (various posts around the net) but seem to be less iffy in PCs and PC laptops. They are definitely more costly.

New MacBook 1gb examples (prices creeping upward weekly)

Samsung http://www.ms4me.com/sa1gbpc66dd2.html
A-Data http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211031

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 12, 2006, 10:22 AM

Kingston
Crucial
Samsung
Mushkin
Corsair
Hynix
My last two computers have been upgraded with Patriot RAM (iMac G5 and HP zv6130us). Haven't had any problems at all with this RAM and they've been consistently well priced on NewEgg with a lifetime warranty.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

andgarden
Jun 12, 2006, 11:03 AM

Kingston
Crucial
Samsung
Mushkin
Corsair
Hynix
You have a scientific survey to back up your list, right?

Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 11:12 AM

I purchased OCZ... it was one of the only ones in stock at tigerdirect.ca. Now its out of stock

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 04:30 PM

Mushkin Ram destroyed an OS install on my iMac, 2gb of it in my G5 made my OS flakey, then strange things started happening, hanging, crashing, stalling, a kernel panic, then apps that i clicked on started losing size, iCal went from like 12mb to 3mb, and a few other apps exhibted strange problem. It came to the point where a reboot no longer produced an OS that would load. took out the Mushkin ram, enter 2 gigs of Kingston ram and my problems went away, but i still had to reinstall OS X.

On a side note i have 2 gigs of Kingston ram in my backpack for my MacBook, but I have a stripped screw that makes me unable to install it. Im sure Apple will say it's my fault and attempt to **** me over for repair $$...
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

scopedope
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 04:34 PM

MUSHKIN claims to manufacture high quality memory, but in reality they just remark/rebrand other manufacturer's ram they buy.
I brought in my Powerbook to their Colorado offices in 2005 after the module they sent me didn't work -- it took them six different GUESSES as to what laptop memory would work. They were rude, unknowledgable and pretty much a fake company from what I could see there. The price was HIGH, but I was stuck because I needed for project tahta day. Avoid this company, especially for Apple products!

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2006, 04:49 PM

.02 - I use two 1GB Corsair sodimms from ZipZoomFly. No complaints,

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2006, 05:03 PM

andgarden, chipchen said it was HIS preference, not something scientific.

Telusman, way to think positive! Apple may just say "Oh, we can help you with that stripped screw..." and let you move on with your third party RAM. Why should they do anything else, as that screw is supposed to be for a USER ACCESSIBLE part?

I've used Mushkin in the past and never had any trouble with it. However, Macs have a history of being very picky about the RAM they "like." There was a whole series of iBooks that would only work with one type of SODIMM (I think it was low density instead of high density), but that wasn't part of the official specification. That puts the experiences expressed here about Mushkin in a different light-that they didn't always have the precise part that YOUR Macs liked. Scopedope, I didn't have any kind of customer service problem with Mushkin, but then I didn't have any problems either. THIS is the only real knock I'd consider against Mushkin.

I personally like Kingston, Crucial, and Corsair in that order, mostly because they are ALL highly reputed, they ALL stand behind every part they sell-and get it right the first time-and finally the ease of use of their web ordering system. I expect that there are a number of other SODIMM makers that are equally as good, but I have no experience with them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules