Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro screen repair, user fixable?

Macbook Pro screen repair, user fixable?
Steve Yun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 11:56 PM

My friend dropped his Macbook Pro's power supply on the screen and it left a crack (apparently on the LCD inside, the glass has no signs of cracks). Now, he took it to the Apple Store and they said that it wasn't covered by warranty and it would cost $1250 to fix. Is it possible to fix it yourself? When my old Powerbook G3's screen died, I bought a replacement LCD off eBay and installed the screen myself. However, the Macbook Pro looks a lot more complicated because of the new hinge. Are there any good tutorials or diagrams on how to do this?

Or... what about 3rd party repair services like this one?
DT&T- MacBook Pro Parts & Repair Service

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 11:59 PM

This is why one gets Safeware insurance.
Linkinus is king.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 03:41 AM

brokenjago, that comment doesn't help. That's like telling someone, "Dude, that's why you make sure the light is green when you go," that just got into a car accident.

Steve, you can replace it yourself, but it's hard. It's $799 for the LCD at ifixit.com.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 05:18 AM

I just used macservice.com last month to replace my shattered Macbook LCD and the experience was quite good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules