Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anti-American Sentiments. (politics)

Anti-American Sentiments. (politics)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2002, 08:07 PM

I think most Americans feel as though they, as a people are the victims of anti-American sentiments from.... possibly every nation in the world. I have to say something about that...... Americans are a great people... friendly, warm, etc.... but thats not to say they dont have their faults just live everybody else.

When the words "Anti-American Sentiments" are thrown around, do not take too much offence, because it's in my opinion that its not directed towards the populus, but rather towards the politicians, and their policies.

I heard that on NPR today and, well it made a lot of sence to me. I personally cannot hate a people...... type-casting have never been embosed in my persona.

Uncle Sam may yell at the top of his lungs that a "tyrant"/"dictator" here is "unjust"..... and his only solution seems to be to overthrow that tyrant and appoint himself supreme ruler. There is a difference between having a "dictator" who is in power because of the people(who do nothing about it), and having an invader take over and ruin their way of life. And i'm preety sure many Americans know what that feels like, what with the American Revolution and all.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2002, 09:03 PM

Seem to remember going the rounds about this a few months back.

I personally find the term "anti-american" to be utterly meaningless. It's a cop-out label that is thrown at critics of specific policies to ignore the merit of their postion and to categorize them personally and marginalize them.

To suggest that any particular set of policies or politics is "american" and anything contrary is unacceptable stinks of exactly the kind of mindless intolerance and dogmatic oppression that most of our founding fathers fought to escape.

Some of the most traditionally accepted ideals in America have been sedition, rebeliousness, suspiscion of authority and open challenge of tyranny. Far be it from me, however, to suggest that any particular idealogy is representative of ALL Americans. The staggering diversity of our political landscape (at least on the level of the street, not necessarily represented in government) belies the very idea that anything could be arbitrarily labelled as "anti-american".

People need to address issues and stop calling each other names. That goes for Liberal, Conservative, Terrorist, etc...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2002, 09:03 PM

All of my 'anti-American sentiments' are directly squarely at the people. As individuals Americans are usually ok, but as a whole we're a bunch of freaking morons.

To say that such sentiments are aimed at the politicians/government and not at the peopel is ridiculous. The government is put in place by the people.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
As individuals Americans are usually ok, but as a whole we're a bunch of freaking morons.
don't forget that german school-aged students are doing worse than their american counterparts now. testing this year showed they're doing very poorly.

and americans work harder than any other industrialized country--more hours per week than anyone in western europe/EU, and far more productive. the us is rich because its people work hard and the country is one huge market--unitd, efficient, motivated, and--on the whole--educated.

a higher percentage of americans go to college/university than any EU country. around 18-21 percent for US, and single digits for Germany, France, et al.

It's easy to believe that America is filled up with morons: it has plenty. But there are also more educated people there than anywhere else--foreign students coming to study and live, and millions of americans doing the same.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2002, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
and americans work harder than any other industrialized country--more hours per week than anyone in western europe/EU, and far more productive. the us is rich because its people work hard and the country is one huge market--unitd, efficient, motivated, and--on the whole--educated.

a higher percentage of americans go to college/university than any EU country. around 18-21 percent for US, and single digits for Germany, France, et al.
Maybe I'm just not enough of a materialist, but I would say those support my view that Americans in general are morons. If peopel in other countries can work less and still lead happy lives why the hell are American working so hard?

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 09:34 PM

Maybe I'm just not enough of a materialist, but I would say those support my view that Americans in general are morons. If peopel in other countries can work less and still lead happy lives why the hell are American working so hard?
money. part of it is b/c of the society--high health care and burdensome taxes--but mainly money. folks want more of it.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2002, 09:39 PM

money. part of it is b/c of the society--high health care and burdensome taxes--but mainly money. folks want more of it.
Exactly my point.

Man, I don't know what happened to my spelling in that last post. Guess I should lay off the vodka...

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 09:44 PM

Exactly my point.

Man, I don't know what happened to my spelling in that last post. Guess I should lay off the vodka...
agreed. I'm not a fan of materialism either, so it hurts when I see people going crazy just to buy cars, jewelry, or what-not. Me, I'd rather live frugally--cheap car, low budget, and live comfortably while saving most of my income, then retire to a house deep in the woods.

unfortunately, in today's world, money IS freedom. one has to be free from consistent debt, creditors, etc., in order to live like a free person.

shanraghan
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 09:45 PM

To say that such sentiments are aimed at the politicians/government and not at the peopel is ridiculous. The government is put in place by the people.
Actually, last I heard the government is put into place by roughly 40% of the people. And they're generally split on who to vote for, anyway. Besides, there's no controlling what an official does upon being placed into office, unless he/she commits a crime or until the next election. I think the figures are higher at presidential elections, but unless I'm completely in the dark mid-term elections have much lower turnout. I guess it's much easier to vote for a single figurehead than simply another voice in Congress. And yes, we do have our fair share of morons, and yes, we can often appear a rather work-obsessed, overly industrial and materialistic society. I'm certain there's a better way to go about many things here but I don't know enough yet to make a firm judgement on everything, but that's beside the point. The point is you'll find morons everywhere, and you can't always judge a populace by the actions of its government. It's not as if everyone agrees around here... if they did then I'd be very scared, and run to some nicer place in the world... such as Europe. Or maybe Antartica. I hear the penguins have quite an elaborate and enlightened social structure.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2002, 09:54 PM

agreed. I'm not a fan of materialism either, so it hurts when I see people going crazy just to buy cars, jewelry, or what-not. Me, I'd rather live frugally--cheap car, low budget, and live comfortably while saving most of my income, then retire to a house deep in the woods.

unfortunately, in today's world, money IS freedom. one has to be free from consistent debt, creditors, etc., in order to live like a free person.
And people would have more money if they spent less of it on stupid purchases that they don't need like SUVs, jewelry, etc. Меньше гречиха, больше водки! Damn, my mug is empty.

Originally posted by shanraghan:
Actually, last I heard the government is put into place by roughly 40% of the people. And they're generally split on who to vote for, anyway. Besides, there's no controlling what an official does upon being placed into office, unless he/she commits a crime or until the next election. I think the figures are higher at presidential elections, but unless I'm completely in the dark mid-term elections have much lower turnout. I guess it's much easier to vote for a single figurehead than simply another voice in Congress.
Exactly. Any problems with the government are due to the complacency of the citizenry.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2002, 10:23 PM

These threads are really growing tedious. Yes, America sucks blah blah blah. We're the devil, we are all that is evil in the world, we eat babies and drink pee, anything bad that has ever happened in the world, we caused it or sponsored it, anything good, we tried to stop it. We bomb the innocent and put murderers in power. We throw away food while millions starve. We are arrogant and self centered. The list goes on and on.

So, let's say that what ever utopian land you reside in, just pays us back all the money we have given it, pays for the security we have provided and we'll just call it even. Of course, when some natural disaster hits your homeland, we won't be able to lend you hand anymore. But you'll make do, I'm sure.

Of course, I'm being snide, and a dick, but I think anyone would when being insulted and called a moron based on their nationality. It gets old after a while. I was born here, and lived more than half my life elsewhere, but I still like it here, and don't really want to live anywhere else. This country has its faults, but I have traveled a lot, and I haven't found one yet that doesn't
Nemo me impune lacesset

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2002, 10:31 PM

Americans deserve some of the flak they get because they can be brash, self-aggrandizing, hopelessly materialistic, etc. Other people can be the same or worse (we are, after all, mostly descended from European culture), but Americans draw/get more attention for it because they have come to dominate the airwaves, the movie theaters, the political theater, the economic theater, etc. For better or worse, all eyes are on the U.S. because it is the Big Man on Campus. Plus, the free-market economy tends to bring out our most crass aspects - witness the ubiquitous infomercial. America is, to a large degree, about selling stuff.

But I hope people elsewhere understand that we aren't all brash, self-aggrandizing, hopelessly materialistic, etc. It's an extremely varied population - what they see on TV and in the movies is by its very nature a distortion of reality. Additionally, I hope they see the bright side - the very dynamism that can seem so annoying is also largely responsible for the ability of the U.S. to innovate and lead in so many ways, in everything from music to technology.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 12:36 AM

don't forget that german school-aged students are doing worse than their american counterparts now. testing this year showed they're doing very poorly.

It's easy to believe that America is filled up with morons: it has plenty. But there are also more educated people there than anywhere else--foreign students coming to study and live, and millions of americans doing the same.
I know this is a bit off topic, but ....... where in this entire universe did you get that information ? lol.... i am seriously laughing here.

Sweat shops ? exploitation of the third world ? ring a bell ? ...no ?

Americans are doing most of the work ? to me work is done when things are 'made'...contributing to the GDP, u know ? if you are in the US, walk into any clothing store or computer store, or any kind of non cultural store in general, take a look where these things are being made. If Americas work so very hard, how come you hardly ever see anything made in America anywhere on this planet ?
Northern Mariana Islands, South America, Taiwan. Remeber the fight for freedom for taiwan ? Geeeee, i wonder what motivated that. But now that the U.S. and China are strange-bed-fellows, the taiwan issue seems to have receeded wayyyyy into the background.

Let me be the first to tell you that, the reason all these wars take place is not for 'Freedom' but rather to control resources.....labour is one of them. So a starving person in mexico who works 15 hours a day and earns barely $5 works less hard than an American who works minimum wage, in an air conditioned environment with the right to get into Unions, health insurance, ental insurance and a pension plan ?

While in the rest of the world the ignorant barbarian hordes slave away to comphensate for the over comphensated average Industrialzed-world-citizen ?

Someone has to make sure they are making a profit, right ? so someone has to loose something, right ? with the biggest guns, who do you think is going to take the profit ?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 02:25 AM

I am not sure where you've got that data from but AFAIK both of the above statements are false.

In the UK in the year 2001 32% of students went on to higher education

In the year 2000 the US was behind both France and Germany in productivity per worker but in front of Japan and the UK.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2002, 02:46 AM

here's some info on work-week in europe:
-----------
Manufacturing workers in major European countries already work fewer hours per week than comparable American workers, yet unemployment rates here are less than half what they are in Europe -- with the single exception of Britain.

U.S. manufacturing workers were on the job an average of 37.9 hours per week in 1996, earning an average of $17.74 an hour.

Here are some 1996 European manufacturing comparisons:

* German workers only put in an average of 29 hours a week, but earn a whopping $31.87 average per hour.

* The average French worker is on the job 31.7 hours a week, earning the equivalent of $19.34 an hour.

* In Italy, the work week consists of 35 hours, with an average pay of $18.08 an hour.

* A British worker will toil 35.6 hours a week, realizing $14.19 per hour.

Experts say that a few companies in Europe -- seeking more flexible schedules to reduce costs and improve productivity -- are already reducing employees' work weeks. But for a nation to mandate fewer hours -- without any reduction in pay -- with the goal of reducing unemployment is a self-defeating proposition. The notion is most popular among Italian and French leaders.

European companies already have trouble competing effectively in the global market, critics point out, and even some mainstream labor leaders believe a government-mandated system of shorter hours could actually cost jobs by increasing labor costs.

Source: John Tagliabue, "Buona Notte, Guten Tag: Europe's New Workdays," New York Times, November 12, 1997.
--------------

The GDP for the USA is larger than that of the EU. understand this: GDP is gross domestic product--the total value of goods and services produced in a nation in a year. If GDP is larger, then this demonstrates that the US produces more, despite having a smaller population than the EU. Hence, US is more productive in total and per capita.

And don't get righteous about labour--the EU has many foreign works, especially turks, who work illegally and who are permitted to work in EU countries (particularly France and Germany) because, without these workers, European employers would have an even hard time finding workers--no EU citizen is willing to do that kind of labour at those wages. And EU governments look the other way, because they know their economies depend in part on this immigrant labour. yet most of these people will never become EU citizens, with the full rights, vacations, and protections of EU citizens.

and you're talking out of your ass about taiwan. if you knew your stuff, you'd realize that the US has pledged to defend Taiwan. We keep the 7th Fleet very close, and have sent it into the Taiwan Straights when the Chinese were acting up. This even happened under Bill Clinton. The US has a one-China policy, which--to break it down to your uninformed level, means the US wants a united China (including Taiwan as a part). however, the US doesn't want a Communist China and a Communist Taiwan, so unification with Taiwan is kept on hold.

what's made in the USA? There is the world's largest automaker--General Motors (GM). There is Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Ford (which owns European automaker Volkswagen), numerous military aircraft used by people who want good fighters (for the brits: harriers included): F-16, F-15, F-18, et al. F-117A, the world's best stealth aircraft and, last time I checked, no one else has anything like it that *works*. MTV, Hollywood, pop music, rap and hip-hop, television. If it is on your TV, then it is probably made in America. And it isn't some big conspiracy: TV people have to make money. They make money by selling advertisements. They sell ads by having lots of people watch. If people didn't watch what they show, then they wouldn't be in business. End of story. The American shows are shown because they're entertaining, sometimes creative, and people watch, and watch, and watch. Same with movies. The EU is a market economy and free society. If American movies and TV weren't stuff people wanted to see, no one would watch.

and back to labor and exploitation. Don't forget who the colonizers were: European countries. France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, et al. These countries were leaching off of Africa, South America (in Spain and Portugal's case), Vietnam (Indochina for France), the Middle East (England, France). All Western countries (save NZ and AUS, probably) have been complicit in crimes against other peoples, nations, and cultures.

You're a tool of some ideology. That much is clear. Get your head screwed on, son, and come back when you know the figures and can talk sense, rather than regurgitate whatever idea or ideology that has grabbed your immature intellect.

-----
disclaimer to others: Europe's a nice place. I like it. Bad spots and bad aspects--yes, just like in US.Good and bad, and both places will get better if we don't kill each other.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2002, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:

In the UK in the year 2001 32% of students went on to higher education

In the year 2000 the US was behind both France and Germany in productivity per worker but in front of Japan and the UK.
my edu figures are old. the european powers are doing good with uni opportunities for the kiddes.

don't think my above post is direct at you. more at hawkeye for biting like that.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2002, 02:57 AM

here is info on gdp numbers.
http://www.eurunion.org/profile/facts.htm

and more on GDP per capita, which is a reflection of total value of goods and services produced by one worker in one year.
http://www.eurunion.org/profile/EUUSStats.htm

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 03:46 AM

my edu figures are old. the european powers are doing good with uni opportunities for the kiddes.

don't think my above post is direct at you. more at hawkeye for biting like that.
No offence taken, I assure you

Good discussion. What we all need to work on is education, education, education, whereever we are. IMO.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I was born here, and lived more than half my life elsewhere, but I still like it here, and don't really want to live anywhere else. This country has its faults, but I have traveled a lot, and I haven't found one yet that doesn't
You are right in that the US has its faults, like any other country. But I do agree with nonhuman that as a group we are a bunch of morons. Only 7% of Americans even have a passport. I would imagine even less than that have ever traveled outside the country. You, ThinkInsane, are the cultural elite. Your anecdotal evidence does not hold up; just because you traveled and still like America does not mean we are not a bunch of morons.

derbs
Senior User
Sep 6, 2002, 05:44 AM

America is a very productive place. Europe is catching up, but i don't think they'll ever surpass, because no European country i know about has the same spirit of opportunity like America does. America kicked our asses economically after WW2, and then saved our asses with the Marshall plan, for which we should all be grateful

You know, America has created some brilliant things, brilliant people and ideas... but also some dreadful stuff as well. And whoever voted for Bush should just be ashamed.

Does that chump have any chance of winning a second term?

VRL
Senior User
Sep 6, 2002, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:

I was born here, and lived more than half my life elsewhere, but I still like it here, and don't really want to live anywhere else. This country has its faults, but I have traveled a lot, and I haven't found one yet that doesn't
Thank you. I live in Europe, but have also lived in the U.S. many years. Have known a lot of good people on both continents, and don't mind living here or there. Both have good things, as well some not so good.

In the U.S., most people I know travel, have passports, have at least an Associates degree. I know a dozen entrepreneurs in the States.
Sure, some people don't travel or have a need for a passport, but that is hardly a measure of intelligence or worth.

The people I know also give generously to charity, recycle, vote, contribute to their communities. All good things.

Final thought: If the U.S. is so bad, why are so many foreign born people trying to "get in"? (This includes Europeans, by the way.)

Peace

DBursey
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2002, 08:39 AM

I've not been privileged to have an Anti American. All my parents' sisters were Canadian born.

khufuu
Sep 6, 2002, 08:44 AM

Oh...never mind.
( Last edited by khufuu; Sep 6, 2002 at 10:18 AM. )

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Korv:
But I do agree with nonhuman that as a group we are a bunch of morons. Only 7% of Americans even have a passport. I would imagine even less than that have ever traveled outside the country. You, ThinkInsane, are the cultural elite. Your anecdotal evidence does not hold up; just because you traveled and still like America does not mean we are not a bunch of morons.
And the fact that only 7% of Americans have passports proves that we are a bunch of morons?

Most people cannot afford to travel to Europe to take in the finer points of French cuisine. So, to the extent they can afford it, they travel within the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and the Carribean, where no passport is required.

I agree that we have our share of morons, and we could all use more exposure to other cultures, but I wouldn't rely on passport statistics to make such sweeping judgments. Indeed, the fact that you assume that other cultures are inherently superior to ours suggests to me that you haven't traveled much yourself. Other cultures have their advantages but they have no shortage of morons.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Most people cannot afford to travel to Europe to take in the finer points of French cuisine. So, to the extent they can afford it, they travel within the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and the Carribean, where no passport is required.
Just because you can't afford to fly to Europe or Asia doesn't mean you can't afford to go. Ships are still a perfectly valid form of transportation, and you can book passage on freighters and tankers and the like for very cheap. I intend to do so myself after I graduate from college.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2002, 12:38 PM

Just because you can't afford to fly to Europe or Asia doesn't mean you can't afford to go.
Or you can enlist. That way you get paid to go.

How does it go now? Join the Army, travel to exotic places, meet strange and interesting people . . . and kill them.

Or the variation: Join the Reserves. Travel to exotic places, meet strange and interesting people . . . and kill them (but only on weekends).

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 12:40 PM

fulmer.... how many Americans do you know who work in sweat shops for NIke ? Disney ? Etc ? im assuming ur probably a geezer (since you called me son and 'immature')....and judging by your tone and lack of knowledge of dynamics of current economic models....you probably even served in the military.

I got my number, by the way, but im preety sure they wont matter to you cause they arent published by a report/newspaper which supports your views.

Get back to school and take an Anthropology class on world economic systems....and learn a little bit about the 'dependency theorms'.

You claim Americans work so hard and dont get paid enough ? so someone who gets minimum wage, regular breaks, good(probably the best) working conditions, rights to join unions, health insurance and a pension plan, deserves more than someone working in a sweatshop, slaving away for god-only-knows how long, no rights to join unions, etc,etc.... hmmmm....i guess ur right.(sarcasm)
300,000,000 people..... out of..
6,000,000,000 people.

and your only defence is GM, boeing, lockhead and military equiptment ?
here's my list....
Disney, GAP, A&F, Toshiba, IBM, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, American Eagle, JC Penny, Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Sony,etc,etc, etc....
Where do the profits of these companies go ? not to the labourers who made them, but to those Americans who slave away in from 9-5 for $15/hour.

If this system were as fair as you claimed it to be..... what do u think would happen if ever third world countries labor force were allowed to make and join their own unions ? ("but they are", u say...thats where foreign campaign financing comes in) if ever worker could be comphensated for their labour and demand minimum wage..... this "system" would break like a toothpick with an elephant on top of it. the only thing holding it together right now, is this arsenal of unnecessary proportions. and you, the 'realist' view this as the righteous thing. oh my, wouldnt you feel rather stupid 50 years from now when the system is overthrown by us hippies ?

Idealogy ? yeah i guess i am an idealogist ..... kinda like those tree loving, government hating hippies in the 60s, who were against the war in Vietnam. Kinda like those African Americans who marched on Washington. Kinda like those highland barbarians who faught a tyrant and economic system of their days. kinda like, John Lennon..."Imagine" (ever listen to that words?).

Trust me there are a lot of good 'ideas' out there, the only thing hindering them, are conformists like you.

Ciao.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 12:46 PM

How the hell did we get so off topic ? anyway, ive said my peace in this thread.

Cheers

Lerkfish
Sep 6, 2002, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
How the hell did we get so off topic ? anyway, ive said my peace in this thread.

Cheers
"peace" has had nothing to do with your posts in this thread, as far as I can tell.

the actual phrase is "said my piece"

but that certainly is an inter-restin mistake in grammar.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 01:19 PM

Just because you can't afford to fly to Europe or Asia doesn't mean you can't afford to go. Ships are still a perfectly valid form of transportation, and you can book passage on freighters and tankers and the like for very cheap. I intend to do so myself after I graduate from college.
I'm happy for you - I've had the privilege of traveling a good deal myself - but most people simply don't have the opportunity to ride around on freighters, even if it's cheaper. They have bills to pay and children to raise. My point being that, yeah, travel is a fine thing, but I would not condemn an entire nation to moron status just because only 7% of the people have passports.

How many Mexicans have passports? Thais? Russians? Are they all morons as well?

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Idealogy ? yeah i guess i am an idealogist ..... kinda like those tree loving, government hating hippies in the 60s, who were against the war in Vietnam. Kinda like those African Americans who marched on Washington. Kinda like those highland barbarians who faught a tyrant and economic system of their days. kinda like, John Lennon..."Imagine" (ever listen to that words?).

Ciao.
Sweet Jesus. I never thought I'd see anyone more self-righteous than KellyHogan, but here you are.

I agree with you about the need of American corporations to treat workers in other countries with respect and not run sweatshops, but I'm not going to compare myself to William Wallace as part of an arguement.

Better to post some links to stories about crappy companies like Nike
who treat people like dirt.

--Josh

imafreak
Sep 6, 2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Korv:

You are right in that the US has its faults, like any other country. But I do agree with nonhuman that as a group we are a bunch of morons. Only 7% of Americans even have a passport. I would imagine even less than that have ever traveled outside the country. You, ThinkInsane, are the cultural elite. Your anecdotal evidence does not hold up; just because you traveled and still like America does not mean we are not a bunch of morons.
Korv and nonhuman - Why does not having a passport make us morons? That has to be the lamest statement I've ever heard. You are morons!

Lerkfish
Sep 6, 2002, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by imafreak:

Korv and nonhuman - Why does not having a passport make us morons? That has to be the lamest statement I've ever heard. You are morons!
simple geography is the reason for fewer passports in the US. Look at a map of europe, then look at a map of the US. The only CLOSE countries are Canada and Mexico. Europe needs passports because they are a collection of smaller countries in close proximity with a great deal of intercourse between. For example, its not unheard of for people in Germany to regularly vacation in France. It is, after all a very short train ride...about the same distance as D.C. to Charlotte. You can travel to france for a weekend FROM europe...try that from the US. I once attended a conference in Germany flying from New York. The conference was only two days, took a good part of the day to fly one way, my jetlag was horrendous, and suffered the same going back. Overall, a lousy travel experience.

additionally, the US has such a variety of landscape, you could spend several years traversing it and never see it all. Most americans vacation in america for that reason....there's so much variety to see. We have all that is available in europe, minus the history, but much much larger.

the lack of passports = morons is the most moronic argument I've seen yet.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
Europe needs passports because they are a collection of smaller countries in close proximity with a great deal of intercourse between. For example, its not unheard of for people in Germany to regularly vacation in France.
And of course, you also don't need a passport to visit Canada.

It would be interesting to see if the relaxation of EU internal border controls has impacted the number of Europeans with passports. Germans don't need a passport to get to France anymore and haven't done for a while. I think they would to cross Switzerland to get to Italy, though, so maybe people keep them on a "just in case" basis?

Does anyone have the stats so we can see if there is any change in the percentage?

deekay1
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
For example, its not unheard of for people in Germany to regularly vacation in France...
from time to time i do my grocery shopping in france (i live in germany)

traveling to the west, north and south from here you really don't need a passport any longer (eu etc.). the east is a whole different story.

but honestly, saying that americans are stupid because only 7% have a passport is so silly. plus americans do seem to travel a lot...at least they're all over the place here.

i talk to the tourists at the bars over a beer every once in a while . i'd say 90% of them are fairly smart and make for a good converstation. most of them can't dress worth a damn though which, of course, is far worse than being dumb.

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Forum Links
Forum Rules