Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What iPhone blogs/sites do you read?

What iPhone blogs/sites do you read?
sambeau
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 07:20 AM

Me and Bert have just finished coding our first non-game iPhone app and now we have the difficult bit: marketing.

I thought I'd try to enlist some help from one of my old haunts - namely this group - to see if you could help me plan my advertising budget

So: if you don't mind telling me, which other sites do you read. If you were just about to launch an app you'd just spent a year on and were about to blow a year's worth of savings advertising - where would you do it?

Thanks!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 08:30 AM

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 09:36 AM

Just like any advertising I would say it depends on who your target audience is and without knowing what the app does that is kind of hard. I'll assume you didn't mention your app's features in your post to avoid sounding like a self promoting spammer, but since I'm asking you hopefully the mods will let it through.

Are you only looking to advertise on iphone related sites, or just start with them so they can review the app? What about free self promotion like on facebook, twitter, etc.?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 09:38 AM

I second iLounge for iPhone related topics.

Not very iPhone centric, but they are frequently a topic at Engadget & Macrumors.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

sambeau  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 10:57 AM

Thanks for your help!

Yeah - I'm genuinely trying to get a feel for which sites people are looking at so I can plan how to burn a lot of savings! I will give more details if the Moderators are OK with it - but I've been on here for nearly 10 years on-and-off - don't want to get banned now!

I've talked about it in the iPhone app section: I thought it would be really spammy to start promoting it in the lounge

http://forums.macnn.com/110/iphone-a...y-suggestions/

(it's a personal finance app for real people)

I'm in the middle of sorting out screenshots, building a website, writing a plan etc and I'd love to share it with the Forum.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 11:05 AM

iLounge is the best.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eyenigma
Jun 22, 2010, 02:17 AM

Frankly, I'd ditch the blogs all together and target prominent app review sites. You're going to get WAY more bang for the buck at places like:

Revision3 > AppJudgment
Landing Pad — an iPad App Gallery
iPhone App Reviews - Honest reviews of the latest, greatest, and lamest iPhone apps
iPhone app reviews - AppVee
iPhone App Reviews, iPhone Game Reviews, and iPhone News :: 148Apps

And being quite honest, if you're coming to a place like this to learn what you (respectfully) should already know... consider hiring a pr firm and a good graphic designer to make the app really polished. Unless you're a rock star in both on your own, you have an uphill battle by far. The app store is littered with apps, so you really need something that stands out.

Good luck

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 03:36 AM

Apple, iPhone & iPad News | ModMyi.com has a lot going on from time to time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules