Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Brits More Smart Than Yanks? Yes, Says Actress Paltrow

Brits More Smart Than Yanks? Yes, Says Actress Paltrow (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 12:35 PM
 
I'm just sad that there wasn't a Baldwin under each arm when she left.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
marden  (op)
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 12:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by MacNStein View Post
I'm just sad that there wasn't a Baldwin under each arm when she left.
     
OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 01:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Yes it does. It also has "The North," where the inhabitants have less wealth, less education, have thick accents, tend to be more overweight and over all is a more rural landscape with pockets of urban blight.

Sound familiar?
Breaking one stereotype by enforcing a few more?

People living in the North of England are not necessarily "less wealthy". They certainly don't have "less education". "Thick accents" are country-wide, vary greatly and we love them. I haven't seen more overweight people in the North compared to the South of England. I've no idea what "pockets of urban blight" is even supposed to mean...
tin pot, garden shed
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 01:42 PM
 
The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans," the 34-year-old added.
Originally Posted by marden View Post
Screw her.
...
But screw her.
Yeah, she must have read marden's ramblings. No wonder she comes to that conclusion

-t
     
miserereiam
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Czech my maps
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 01:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Yes it does. It also has "The North," where the inhabitants have less wealth, less education, have thick accents, tend to be more overweight and over all is a more rural landscape with pockets of urban blight.

Sound familiar?
Hrm. Okay so they have a south... but do the people in the 'north' of britian drive jacked up 4X4s for no reason other than to go 'muddin'? Do all the people in the suburbs drive SUVs? Seems to me Britian is still more intelligent than the average american, thanks to all the idiots we have here. I mean hell... look at how many people voted for Bush the 2nd time, after he'd proved that he isnt' a real republican*.

*: Real republicans are for smaller government, less washington control, more power to the states, and a smaller budget. Bush has done completely the opposite.
     
miserereiam
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Czech my maps
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:02 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
You have been horn-swoggled. There are some brilliant Southerners who would just as soon have you believe they were dim-witted. And woe be it to those who take the bait. And though the dumb, hillbilly or red neck Southern good ole boy stereotype may have some basis in fact, I think far too little credit is given to NON-Southern idiots.

You can find idiots EVERYWHERE.

By the way, where do you live?

There must be at least a couple of idiots in your town.
Most definitely... but look at nationwide studies. There is a much larger number of churches per capita in the south, a lot less average income, and fewer college degrees. Look at where most hate crimes occur. The south. Imagine where most nascar fans are from. The south.

I've known people who were merely average in the north move south for a job, and be treated like freaking geniuses down there because most people are so uneducated.
     
TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by miserereiam View Post
Hrm. Okay so they have a south... but do the people in the 'north' of britian drive jacked up 4X4s for no reason other than to go 'muddin'? Do all the people in the suburbs drive SUVs? Seems to me Britian is still more intelligent than the average american, thanks to all the idiots we have here. I mean hell... look at how many people voted for Bush the 2nd time, after he'd proved that he isnt' a real republican*.

*: Real republicans are for smaller government, less washington control, more power to the states, and a smaller budget. Bush has done completely the opposite.
I didnt know cars define one's intelligence level. (and 'muddin' sounds like fun).
To counter your argument, consider the evidence.

Exhibit A: Robbie Williams...
Exhibit B: American Idol
Exhibit C: Mad cow disease.

Case closed.
     
marden  (op)
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
Yeah, she must have read marden's ramblings. No wonder she comes to that conclusion

-t
When will you learn?

Reported.
     
miserereiam
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Czech my maps
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
I didnt know cars define one's intelligence level. (and 'muddin' sounds like fun).
To counter your argument, consider the evidence.

Exhibit A: Robbie Williams...
Exhibit B: American Idol
Exhibit C: Mad cow disease.

Case closed.
... how does exhibit B counter my argument? American idol is popular BECAUSE of all the ignorant trash in america.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
When will you learn?
Reported.


Haha, you are funny. Reported for what ? For truth ? For your failure to understand sarcasm ?

-t
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Exhibit A: Robbie Williams...
Leave my homie out of this.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by miserereiam View Post
... how does exhibit B counter my argument? American idol is popular BECAUSE of all the ignorant trash in america.
Hello?

American Idol is simply the US branded version of the UK's Pop Idol, popular in Britain because of all the ignorant trash who like to watch it.
     
Rumor
Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the verge of insanity
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:35 PM
 
I don't really care what she says, I'd still hit it.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.
     
TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by miserereiam View Post
... how does exhibit B counter my argument? American idol is popular BECAUSE of all the ignorant trash in america.
I'm surprised you took my post seriously. I don't want to get into a US v UK pissin' match because I have never been to the UK, but I also have no desire to live or visit there. I'm sure they are very proud of their country and how they live. I salute them.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
I'm sure they are very proud of their country and how they live.
:guffaw:



BBC NEWS | UK | More Britons consider move abroad
     
Paco500
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Berkshire, UK
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 02:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
Breaking one stereotype by enforcing a few more?

People living in the North of England are not necessarily "less wealthy". They certainly don't have "less education". "Thick accents" are country-wide, vary greatly and we love them. I haven't seen more overweight people in the North compared to the South of England. I've no idea what "pockets of urban blight" is even supposed to mean...
No, not what I'm doing at all. I was, in fact, "enforcing" two stereotypes- not trying to break a single one . Most Stereotypes are rooted in reality, and this one is too. You can say and believe what you wish, but I have seen article after article, survey after survey, that shows that ON AVERAGE those in the north of England tend to exit school earlier, score lower on standardized tests, and are more likely to be obese. In popular culture- from Coronation Street, to Doctor Who (and on and on) a "Northern Accent" is shorthand for "not that intelligent." The landscape tends to be more rural- but I will accept that "urban blight" was too strong and and poor choice, what I suppose I meant to say is that the urban areas of northern England (Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, etc.) tend to be "rougher" than the cities in southern England- lower average earnings, lower house prices, etc.

All of this is pretty much true, and matches up pretty well with the American South. Having said that, these are averages and there are exceptions- many, many exceptions. There are brilliant, slim, wealthy people in northern England and the American South- as well as poor, fat, idiots in southern England and the rest of America.

My point in this was not to slag off the north of England, but to defend America. Neither country is all of anything- all brilliant, all stupid. There is a wide variety in both nations.

By the way, didn't mean to get your knickers in a twist. My best mate in the UK is a self described "northern monkey" form Manchester, and is clever, kind and funny. I myself am from the American south and I think I'm reasonably intelligent as well.
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 03:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
CodyBlog™

Also:
Is this like Real American Heroes?
Real American Apple Discounts for Real American Kids.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 05:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I have seen article after article, survey after survey, that shows that ON AVERAGE those in the north of England tend to exit school earlier, score lower on standardized tests, and are more likely to be obese. In popular culture- from Coronation Street, to Doctor Who (and on and on) a "Northern Accent" is shorthand for "not that intelligent." The landscape tends to be more rural- but I will accept that "urban blight" was too strong and and poor choice, what I suppose I meant to say is that the urban areas of northern England (Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield, etc.) tend to be "rougher" than the cities in southern England- lower average earnings, lower house prices, etc.
Just what purpose do these provincial attitudes serve?

TV, Surveys? They're just as silly as you for wanting to enforce this stuff. I've lived in the North and South of England. I've lived and worked in the North(ish) and the South of America for that matter. People are all the same.

Northern cities are not "rougher". Gossip and hearsay

"more rural"? Did you climb a tree when arrived so that you could observe that the North of the island is "more rural"? England isn't that tiny, but it is quite small, and I doubt Northern cities are much further apart than Southern ones.

My "knickers" aren't "in a twist" (how English of you!) Should I tell you to "chill out"?

I was born here. Right in the middle.
tin pot, garden shed
     
invisibleX
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 06:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
I like the second way better.
Does it seem a bit.. insecure? A single person somewhere says Americans are stupid and you throw a little fit and whine to a bunch of strangers on the internet. What are you, five? People say Americans are stupid all the time but it doesn't make it true (or untrue). The real tragedy is you're following it up with some incredibly stupid comments. What is worse is that you actually admit your comments play into the stereo type. Americans are stupid but god dammit... oh wait.. you're a poo-poo face!

Of course not doing the knee-jerk reaction would make you "self-loathing"; which is funny because I've never heard of these people. Then again, half the things you talk about aren't real so I guess its a but much to expect you to restrict yourself to reality.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."
     
Paco500
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Berkshire, UK
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 07:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
Just what purpose do these provincial attitudes serve?

TV, Surveys?
These aren't TV surveys, but hard news. A 30 second google search turned up these.
Article about North/South Health Divide from BBC
Speech by former Education and Employment Secretary on North South Divide in Education

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
They're just as silly as you for wanting to enforce this stuff.
I'm not enforcing anything. I was responding to a poster saying "England must be smarter because it doesn't have 'the South' by pointing out that the north of England and the American south share some common traits. I'm not saying anything controversial here.

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
I've lived in the North and South of England. I've lived and worked in the North(ish) and the South of America for that matter. People are all the same.
I've lived in several regions in America and found that people are not the same. There are serious cultural differences. I'm surprised you didn't see that. Maybe you didn't meet a lot of people? I haven't been here that long, and have only visited cities up north. Yet I can see dramatic cultural differences all over. The average person in my little village lives a very different life than the average person in Slough. Or London, or Leeds. You seriously don't believe regional cultural differences exist? Bizarre.

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
Northern cities are not "rougher". Gossip and hearsay
And Home Office Crime Statistics. Note that Northern Cities dominate the top spots for violent crimes. Of course there are exceptions, but the rule stands.

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
"more rural"? Did you climb a tree when arrived so that you could observe that the North of the island is "more rural"? England isn't that tiny, but it is quite small, and I doubt Northern cities are much further apart than Southern ones.
Are most modern stories of bucolic pastoral life in England set in the north, primarily Yorkshire, just to be ironic? Whether you like it or not, this is the general perception and it has some basis in reality.

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
My "knickers" aren't "in a twist" (how English of you!) Should I tell you to "chill out"?
Sorry- we say that in America too. You may tell me to chill out if you want.

Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
I was born here. Right in the middle.
OK, but you are still missing the point.
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 08:18 PM
 
Good thing we have the offended Brit as well as the offended Americans in here. Brings some balance

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 08:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
Nah, why prove her right?
You're doing quite well.
     
brapper
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 09:00 PM
 
Maybe not more intelligent. More sensible, might be the better description.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 09:21 PM
 
I'm working up an intense rant about Paltrow, just wait until you hear it!
     
marden  (op)
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by invisibleX View Post
Does it seem a bit.. insecure? A single person somewhere says Americans are stupid and you throw a little fit and whine to a bunch of strangers on the internet. What are you, five? People say Americans are stupid all the time but it doesn't make it true (or untrue). The real tragedy is you're following it up with some incredibly stupid comments. What is worse is that you actually admit your comments play into the stereo type. Americans are stupid but god dammit... oh wait.. you're a poo-poo face!

Of course not doing the knee-jerk reaction would make you "self-loathing"; which is funny because I've never heard of these people. Then again, half the things you talk about aren't real so I guess its a but much to expect you to restrict yourself to reality.
No, I'm FOR!

I'm for American celebs understanding that an attitude that makes expressing embarrassment or condemnation or contempt and distancing themselves from America, an attitude that matches those of too many of the people of her age and orientation in this country is one of the things that's wrong with America.

Young Americans have no sense of patriotism, allegiance or loyalty and if, during wartime, this isn't known to her then she needs to learn it.

I'm thinking of Hanoi Jane. I'm thinking of Marie Antoinette's 'let them eat cake.'

She is an icon of sorts and a role model (I guess) to young girls.

If the young people of this country didn't ALREADY have enough voices and examples in the news of celebs dissing America her casual comments just add one more that might help influence other young Americans that it's ok to crap on America.

Well, I say let's let her and all else who might believe there is no price to pay for crapping on America while America tries to make the world safe for freedom and Democracy know there IS a price to pay.

Screw her.
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:34 PM
 
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:36 PM
 
"waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"

me.
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm working up an intense rant about Paltrow, just wait until you hear it!
Hey, I didn't know you were marden. Clever ruse

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:38 PM
 
HAHAHA LETS START MARDEN JOKES AGAIN GUYZ!!
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
HAHAHA LETS START MARDEN JOKES AGAIN GUYZ!!
Yeah you are right, he's much too easy of a target.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:42 PM
 
AHAHAH OK ME NEXT

I HEAR MARDEN HAS SAGGY THIGHS
     
marden  (op)
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."
Lack of it ESPECIALLY DURING WARTIME is the first indication of several maladies:

Foppishness, ingratitude, cowardlyness, ignorance and effetery.
     
moodymonster
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: London
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
No, I'm FOR!

...

I'm thinking of Marie Antoinette's 'let them eat cake.'

...
what are you talking about?

Are you saying that the Queen of France during a time where the ideology of the divine right of kings held sway could be said to be unpatriotic - when she herself was France (along with Louis XVI)?

Also she didn't say it anyway.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Hey, I didn't know you were marden. Clever ruse

I'm actually Railroader.
     
Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Annals of MacNN History
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:58 PM
 
On that note, I think I smell a lock coming.
     
marden  (op)
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 10:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
On that note, I think I smell a lock coming.
When were you appointed hall monitor status?
     
Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Annals of MacNN History
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 11:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
When were you appointed hall monitor status?
How does that comment make me a hall monitor?
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 11:11 PM
 
Marden is the hall monitor, and he says that you can't go down the halls because there are jihadist bears and octopuses there, so I suggest you damn well listen to my good buddy and fierce protector of us all!
     
invisibleX
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 11:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
No, I'm FOR!
I'm for American celebs understanding that an attitude that makes expressing embarrassment or condemnation or contempt and distancing themselves from America, an attitude that matches those of too many of the people of her age and orientation in this country is one of the things that's wrong with America.

Young Americans have no sense of patriotism, allegiance or loyalty and if, during wartime, this isn't known to her then she needs to learn it.

If the young people of this country didn't ALREADY have enough voices and examples in the news of celebs dissing America her casual comments just add one more that might help influence other young Americans that it's ok to crap on America.

Well, I say let's let her and all else who might believe there is no price to pay for crapping on America while America tries to make the world safe for freedom and Democracy know there IS a price to pay.

Screw her.
No, it isn't. The thing thats wrong with America is that we're afraid.

She might know it, however she is free to say whatever she please. Free speech. Foundation of America. You might want to remember that when you're so valiantly trying to defend America in this time of war. Or maybe you're what America needs to be protected from.

Crap on America? By all means. The sooner we identify with each other and not an idea the better off we'll be. Because when you crap on America you're crapping on yourself: not some distant empire that does good or democracy or some other crap young people couldn't care less about.

Aww, I was right! You are just lurking here to spread your ideas. Cute. Poli lounge doesn't want you any more. So on one hand you want to silence those who don't love America so we can spread this freedom to love us all over the world! Just a bit hypocritical.

Screw all you self righteous bigots who haven't the faintest idea what America is. Screw all you fools who want to shape it into your little heaven. And most of all, Screw anyone American who wants to impede the rights this country stands for.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."
     
invisibleX
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jul 2002
Status: Offline
Dec 4, 2006, 11:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
AHAHAH OK ME NEXT

I HEAR MARDEN HAS SAGGY THIGHS
I think you've pretty much hit the lowest level as far as one line posts go.

Mine's two lines.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Dec 5, 2006, 01:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by marden
Brits More Smart Than Yanks? Yes, Says Actress Paltrow
marden, you're not helping.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Dec 5, 2006, 01:11 AM
 
Originally Posted by MacNStein View Post
I'm just sad that there wasn't a Baldwin under each arm when she left.
Leave Adam Baldwin outta this. He's cool.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
marden  (op)
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Dec 5, 2006, 03:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Marden is the hall monitor, and he says that you can't go down the halls because there are jihadist bears and octopuses there, so I suggest you damn well listen to my good buddy and fierce protector of us all!
I don't go around suggesting or predicting or giving anyone reason to want to lock threads.

I suspect there may be a thread locking contagion going round and suggesting locking a perfectly good thread, well, it's like trying to convince a fat girl to eat an extra piece of chocolate cake.

No extra inducement is necessary.
     
marden  (op)
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Dec 5, 2006, 03:03 AM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
marden, you're not helping.
Oh come on, you know that was part of the joke.
     
marden  (op)
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Dec 5, 2006, 03:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by invisibleX View Post
No, it isn't. The thing thats wrong with America is that we're afraid.

She might know it, however she is free to say whatever she please. Free speech. Foundation of America. You might want to remember that when you're so valiantly trying to defend America in this time of war. Or maybe you're what America needs to be protected from.

Crap on America? By all means. The sooner we identify with each other and not an idea the better off we'll be. Because when you crap on America you're crapping on yourself: not some distant empire that does good or democracy or some other crap young people couldn't care less about.

Aww, I was right! You are just lurking here to spread your ideas. Cute. Poli lounge doesn't want you any more. So on one hand you want to silence those who don't love America so we can spread this freedom to love us all over the world! Just a bit hypocritical.

Screw all you self righteous bigots who haven't the faintest idea what America is. Screw all you fools who want to shape it into your little heaven. And most of all, Screw anyone American who wants to impede the rights this country stands for.


Oh brother!
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Dec 5, 2006, 03:11 AM
 
Originally Posted by marden View Post
Oh come on, you know that was part of the joke.
Why is it that I have a problem believing this?

On a sidenote, that smileyrepresentation of you on the soap box is spot on

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
marden  (op)
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Dec 5, 2006, 03:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Why is it that I have a problem believing this?

On a sidenote, that smileyrepresentation of you on the soap box is spot on
Riiiight.
     
iCol
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Status: Offline
Dec 5, 2006, 07:33 AM
 
I am sure there are many, many, bone-idle Americans.

I am also sure there are many, many, bone-idle Brits.

I should imagine, though, in certain circles (such as the ones little Apple-mother is sloshing about in) our simple command over the English language may be more advanced than Hollywood/LA-speak. We did invent the language, afterall.

But for all that, there are also many well spoken nonces over here too - they can sound terribly posh, and use terribly big words, but have no grasp on reality whatsoever.

I love those people. The British Aristocracy is full of them.

Do you call them WASP's in the states?
F is for Fooyork.
     
marden  (op)
Baninated
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Dec 5, 2006, 07:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by iCol View Post
I am sure there are many, many, bone-idle Americans.

I am also sure there are many, many, bone-idle Brits.

I should imagine, though, in certain circles (such as the ones little Apple-mother is sloshing about in) our simple command over the English language may be more advanced than Hollywood/LA-speak. We did invent the language, afterall.

But for all that, there are also many well spoken nonces over here too - they can sound terribly posh, and use terribly big words, but have no grasp on reality whatsoever.

I love those people. The British Aristocracy is full of them.

Do you call them WASP's in the states?
I call them fuzzy brained liberals.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Dec 5, 2006, 10:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Leave Adam Baldwin outta this. He's cool.
says you.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,