Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Canon Digital Rebel : Talk me into/out of it...

Canon Digital Rebel : Talk me into/out of it... (Page 2)
Railroader
Banned
May 14, 2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
... I have yet to be disappointed by Tokina's built quality.
That's good to hear. I have yet to hear much about Tokina.

I am happy with the Sigma 30 mm and the Tamaron 2X converter I have.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by anonymac View Post
There's no doubt that Nikon owns the photography business. Look at what news and sports photographers use for their work: Nikon cameras and lenses. Why would you buy anything else?
Can we all agree that's just conjecture?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

OreoCookie
May 14, 2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
That's good to hear. I have yet to hear much about Tokina.

I am happy with the Sigma 30 mm and the Tamaron 2X converter I have.
The Tokina's I've held in my hand (e. g. the 2.8/28-80 Pro SV (the cheapest 2.8/28-80 zoom on the market with excellent image quality), my cousin's 2.8/80-200 and the 12-24 zoom) were rock solid. I've had a bike accident with my Nikon F80 and said lens, the camera was thrust onto the pavement with a final velocity exceeding (!) 30 km/h (about 20 mph). The camera was dead, the mirror box bent, my zoom worked just fine (although it did kill the UV filter). These full-metal lenses can take quite a beating and even some professionals (like my cousin) are using them.

The 12-24 mm zoom has received rave reviews. In most reviews I've read, it is said it surpasses the quality of the original manufacturer zooms.
Originally Posted by Ken Rockwell
This is the easy choice among third party lenses. It's the only one that feels solid and professional. It has the fastest focus, the fastest aperture and has the best handling of all third party lenses. The Tokina is the heaviest lens of the four. It has no weak points.
Ken Rockwell claims that Canon's original zoom is `better', although I would still go for the Tokina (as I said, it's cheaper). Whether you want to pay extra for 2 mm is up to you (and your wallet, of course).
( Last edited by OreoCookie; May 14, 2007 at 05:38 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kman42
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 07:18 PM

Would the EF35mm f/2 be an appropriate starter lens? Amazon.com: Canon EF 35mm f/2 Wide Angle Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Is this the 50mm portrait lens referred to earlier? Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: Camera & Photo

It turns out my brother has an XT, so I am going to borrow it and see if I can scrounge around for a few of these lenses from friends/co-workers to try out.

It seems Amazon is selling the XTi with the stock lens for $50 more than no lens. Still not worth it?

kman

OreoCookie
May 14, 2007, 07:23 PM

I don't like `standard' lens (equivalent of 50 mm on 35 mm slr, i. e. about 35 mm on most dslrs), hence I'd prefer the (cheaper) 50 mm lens which is now a nice portrait lens.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Troll View Post
Not bad at all especially considering you just got the camera. You have a good eye. I'm not hugely clued up on photography either but if I had to be critical, I'd say:
Thank you very much. Consider me encouraged.

1) Photo 1 - great moment. The girl looks a little soft and that could be a result of a slow shutter speed or wrong focus point. I'd crop this one from the right to the height of the hat and so that the path is up on the right side of the frame. That would bring the girl out more as a the subject.
Thanks. Good call on the shutter speed on this one. The trip to Norton Art Gallery (where these shots are from) was basically nothing but me trying to figure out how to work the camera. I got this one all wrong, and knew it.

3) Photo 3 - Great lead in lines with the tree on either side. Pity you cut off her legs because it seems like a cute pose and you don't need the space above her head.
I kicked myself in the butt for cutting off the legs when I looked at the pictures at home. Stupid mistake, and even I should've known better.

6) Photo 6 - Good eye contact and nice framing. I would have pointed the camera a little more to the left to get all of the bench in and to have the girl on one of the thirds. You have blown out highlights on the right of this shot which you can control using the Exposure compensation button on the camera. It's a good idea to check the histogram after you've taken a shot. You might be able to rescue them if you took the photo in Raw format. To do this, you'd make one version of the photo with the exposure turned down and blend that with the one with the proper background exposure. It's easier to do this on camera the first time round though with the exposure compensation setting or by framing differently.
Thanks for the tips and constructive criticism. Anything I get is useful at this point, and you had a lot of good things to say.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I hope you'll enjoy your camera. Just one thing: don't waste your time with `picture programs', learn to take control

I like the first one. I probably would have taken a close-up of the second one: the mood seems very intimate and the vast space of stuff around her is kinda getting into the way. You seem to have a good eye for the moment and a good relationship to your subjects …
I agree that the activity around her is distracting and takes away from the moment. I can crop some out, but that guys face...ugh. What's bad is he stuck his head into the background just as I was taking this one. I still could've zoomed in a bit more, but I had to catch this one quick because of the look on my nephew's face. He doesn't look that sweet all the time.

For now, I would advise you not to bother shooting RAW or anything, focus on taking pictures first. Try to find out how to compose image to your taste (and that's what it is, really) and have fun. Working with RAW images takes a lot more time and requires lots of attention (and space, i. e. you would have to buy new memory cards, too, ka-ching). Try to have a look at other people's works and find out what you like. Imitate them and then try a synthesis of your own ideas with theirs. Some people on this forum are very good photographers, although one notable exception (SimeyTheLimey) hasn't posted in a very long time. Pity.

@Troll and RR
Thanks for the links those guys have taken great pictures. Makes me want to get a wide-angle zoom
Thanks for the advice. Like I said, everything is a help at this point.

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
Build & learn 4 free...
Viewed (for a good while) and bookmarked. Thank you very much.

OreoCookie
May 14, 2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I agree that the activity around her is distracting and takes away from the moment. I can crop some out, but that guys face...ugh. What's bad is he stuck his head into the background just as I was taking this one. I still could've zoomed in a bit more, but I had to catch this one quick because of the look on my nephew's face. He doesn't look that sweet all the time.
Stupid me, I was talking about the last picture (which was the last one Troll mentioned).

ink
Mac Elite
May 14, 2007, 09:02 PM

If you're taking baby photos, the ability to control depth of field (how much of the subject is in focus) will be useful and you can only really do that properly with an SLR.
[/QUOTE]
Mmm-hmmm...

ink
Mac Elite
May 14, 2007, 09:04 PM

Here's another guy with a bunch of great wide-angle shots, from a friend of my cousin. They like to backpack and there's some very nice landscape photos. Another XTi user as well.
Nice shots!

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 01:26 AM

Nikon D50 / Nikor F1.8 / Kit lens ( for 18mm wide angle )
Saving for an f1.8 wide angle and a macro lens.

Flickr: Photos from greenamp
( Last edited by greenamp; May 15, 2007 at 01:36 AM. )

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post

Is this the 50mm portrait lens referred to earlier? Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: Camera & Photo

kman
That is really a great lens. A friend of mine uses one with his XT and it's great. Did I mention it's great?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:46 AM

That's the one. I got mine at B&H in New York - they're actually a little cheaper than Amazon. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_8.html

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2007, 07:43 PM

Hey, I got my fiancé's 5D back from sensor cleaning. 13MP goodness

Now I just need a proper lens for it and it will be my main shooter.

Here's the test I did after I got it back. A quickly stitched panorama of my office view. Stupid Flickr wouldn't accept my 11658x2590 panorama, but at least you can enjoy it at 50%:

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

OreoCookie
May 15, 2007, 08:02 PM

Bastard

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 12:59 AM

That...

...that's your office view?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 01:05 AM

Indeed. 27th floor with balcony. Could have been better

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 01:08 AM

Wish we could see the full thing.

Really beautiful view. I'm incredibly jealous.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 01:10 AM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 01:26 AM

But here you go. In all it's 30.1 MP glory:
Flickr Photo Download: View from my office (100%)

memento
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 08:36 AM

All this talk about lenses being good and bad. I went out of my way to buy a super crappy lens for my original Rebel. It allows me to use an infrared filter and gives a mystical feel to pictures. Work with what you have and you might be surprised at the results.

IR:

no filter:
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 09:28 AM

If you're taking baby photos, the ability to control depth of field (how much of the subject is in focus) will be useful and you can only really do that properly with an SLR.
Yep (see below!). If anyone is still reading for dSLR choices, it is good to check out the offerings from folks other than Canon and Nikons (my quick take on the big two: Canon has the better sensor but less ergonomic bodies, Nikon's got great egronomics and the best metering, and both need relatively expensive high-end lenses to get the most out of them).

I went with a Pentax K10D -- nice feature set that felt good in my hand. And great, relatively inexpensive lenses.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by anonymac View Post
There's no doubt that Nikon owns the photography business. Look at what news and sports photographers use for their work: Nikon cameras and lenses. Why would you buy anything else?
Got two clients who are photographers. The first shoots for the New York Times with three or four Canons. The other shoots portraiture: a Leica M6. When he has to shoot digital, it's with a Canon 5D.

If I had a) waay more funds, b) a stronger back and c) less goofy feel shooting with a huge camera, I'd get a Canon 5D. Great image quality. Though I still think Nikon makes the best bodies (the D200 is terrific in your hands).

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 09:59 AM

There is a dramatic difference in quality between an SLR and a compact or bridge camera. I moved up to the 350D from a Canon Ixus 7 megapixel compact and there is just no comparing the quality of the photos from that camera and the 8 megapixel 350D (even though the resolution of the cameras is almost identical). That said, it does take a while to learn how to use an SLR effectively.

If you're taking baby photos, the ability to control depth of field (how much of the subject is in focus) will be useful and you can only really do that properly with an SLR. There is a cheap ($80) 50mm lens for Canon SLRs that is brilliant for portrait photos. Here's one with that lens which I recommend to anyone who has a Canon SLR.
I second the use of a 50mm primer as a portrait lens. I have one for my D70 ($100). It is a must.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
But here you go. In all it's 30.1 MP glory:
Flickr Photo Download: View from my office (100%)
Holy crap...

Thanks.
Beautiful stuff.

kman42
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 05:31 PM

Anyone have this as an everyday 'walk around' lens?
Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD-IF

I guess it would essentially be a replacement for the kit lens. I'm looking for something not too expensive and not too heavy that will complement the 50mm f/1.8 that seems to be the lens everyone agrees on. Something that will work well outdoors for hikes or vacation photos.

kman

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 05:46 PM

Hey, I got my fiancé's 5D back from sensor cleaning. 13MP goodness

Now I just need a proper lens for it and it will be my main shooter.

Here's the test I did after I got it back. A quickly stitched panorama of my office view. Stupid Flickr wouldn't accept my 11658x2590 panorama, but at least you can enjoy it at 50%:
Pfff, that's what I see from my balcony...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 06:39 PM

Nice.

Work or home? 100%?

Railroader
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:06 PM

I'd do a panorama of my digs but you guys would be in jeopardy of hurting yourselves from laughing so hard.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Pfff, that's what I see from my balcony...
I always wondered how the view looked from those buildings up there.
SAm

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 08:13 PM

Nice.

Work or home? 100%?
home. The 100% is about 20k pixels wide....

Railroader
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:13 PM

Anyone have this as an everyday 'walk around' lens?
Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD-IF

I guess it would essentially be a replacement for the kit lens. I'm looking for something not too expensive and not too heavy that will complement the 50mm f/1.8 that seems to be the lens everyone agrees on. Something that will work well outdoors for hikes or vacation photos.

kman
I too am looking for a good, cheap walk around lens. Something for family get-togethers and trips to the zoo/vacations.

Preferably with a fast aperture, but not necessary.

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by sknapp351 View Post
I always wondered how the view looked from those buildings up there.
SAm
I enjoy it. :-) I won't stay too long though 'cause it's expensive. But one lives once only.

Railroader
Banned
May 16, 2007, 08:20 PM

Villalobos and - - e r i k - - , what focal length lens did you use for your panorama shots?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 08:28 PM

I was just snapping, so my settings where all out of whack. (500 ISO ) But my focal lenght was 80mm.

Keep in mind that the 5D has a full frame sensor as opposed to the 3/4 on most cameras

In other news I sold my first stock photo a couple of days ago. Yay for me
Royalty free stock image | Reach for the stars | iStockphoto.com

kman42
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 08:40 PM

I too am looking for a good, cheap walk around lens. Something for family get-togethers and trips to the zoo/vacations.

Preferably with a fast aperture, but not necessary.
That's exactly the type of thing I would want the lens for as well.

kman

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 16, 2007, 11:01 PM

Villalobos and - - e r i k - - , what focal length lens did you use for your panorama shots?
It's the basic 28-80 from Nikon. I was at 70mm for these shots.

Demonhood
Administrator
May 17, 2007, 12:55 AM

In other news I sold my first stock photo a couple of days ago. Yay for me
Royalty free stock image | Reach for the stars | iStockphoto.com
congrats. good lookin' shot too.
you'll have to let us know how it works out for you. been considering going that route myself (altho i think i may set up my own stock photo biz).

i have the XT and enjoy it quite a bit. i started off with some budget lenses (Sigma 18-125, Tamron 70-300) but i've since moved onto better glass. the lenses, familiarity with your camera and just general practice are more important factors than the body, in my opinion. eventually i'll get the (not yet released) 40D or the successor to the 5D, but mostly just for the sturdiness.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 03:27 AM

I'll be moving on to better glass once I can afford it. The 5D body was a present for my fiancé from her dad two years ago. Could never have afforded it on my own. In fact it cost more than our car

So yeah, a Canon EF 24-105 F4 IS L-series is on the wish list. But I'll probably go for a normal lens first.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 07:00 AM

Does anybody have any opinions to share on the Nikon D40x vs the Canon XTi?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 04:16 PM

Well, I just purchased a Pentax K10D. Close to Nikon D200 performance at the price of a Nikon D80. In a weatherproofed and dust proof body. Tons of cheap glass available.

kman42
Professional Poster
May 18, 2007, 04:46 PM

What's the difference between the Picture Style menu and the Picture Styles selected with the dial. For instance, there is a Portrait style available through the menus and also just by turning the dial on the top of the camera. I'm referring to the Rebel Xti.

kman

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Does anybody have any opinions to share on the Nikon D40x vs the Canon XTi?
Those two cameras really aren't in the same league. The D40 is an entry level prosumer while the XTi is a high level prosumer.

At ant rate, here is pretty thorough review of the D40.

It looks like a great Camera but be advised that it does not have an internal autofocus motor, which means you can only use AF-S or AF-I lenses if you want autofocus, else you will have to manual focus. That's a deal breaker for me.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 06:09 PM

Well, I just purchased a Pentax K10D. Close to Nikon D200 performance at the price of a Nikon D80. In a weatherproofed and dust proof body. Tons of cheap glass available.
hooray!

dav
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 06:33 PM

great camera. pentax has some excellent prime lenses, a favorite of mine is their 50mm f/1.4.
one post closer to five stars

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp View Post
That's a deal breaker for me.

For me as well. That's why I decided on the Pentax in the end.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2007, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by dav View Post

great camera. pentax has some excellent prime lenses, a favorite of mine is their 50mm f/1.4.
On my list.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 03:56 PM

^ooh, get it quick so that you can tell me about it!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2007, 06:20 PM

I'm tempted by the Sony DSLR-A100 -- thoughts?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2007, 02:09 AM

Went to a wedding this weekend and had some more fun with the XTi...

Got some lens recommendations from the photographer at the wedding. Really nice guy, and very talented. Check out his stuff, if you'd like. Steven Myers. He's from Rumor's old stomping grounds.

Railroader
Banned
May 20, 2007, 09:14 AM

Here are some picture I took with the XTi this weekend as well:

EDIT: I fixed the links... click on pictures for larger versions.

( Last edited by Railroader; May 20, 2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: removed [img] tags)

Forum Links
Forum Rules