Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Windows 7

Windows 7
Thread Tools
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 12:32 PM
 
Whats the deal here? i dont follow the PC world, but apparently Vista is version 6.0 and they just announced Windows 7.0 ?!?! thats a heck of a lot of wasted marketing and dev. $$$ if you ask me, cause Vista has barely been on the market for 2 years. right ?

So whats the 'deal' with 7 ? is it a jump similar to Win95 to Win98 ?

If you ask me, they just killed Vista.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 12:34 PM
 
Hold you horses.

If they announced Windows 7 now, that doesn't mean it will be REALLY available before 2012.

How long was it between Vista announced and shipped ?

-t
     
Rumor
Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the verge of insanity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 12:36 PM
 
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.
     
64stang06
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 02:18 PM
 
No worse than Apple releasing Tiger in April 2005, then at WWDC in 2006, announcing plans for Leopard which, accoring to a search on MacNN, was supposed to be released by the end of 2006.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3
     
andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: adequate, thanks.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 03:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
No worse than Apple releasing Tiger in April 2005, then at WWDC in 2006, announcing plans for Leopard which, accoring to a search on MacNN, was supposed to be released by the end of 2006.
Comparing OS X and Windows OS-cycles with such a narrow view is ridiculous. Apple has a lot work to do to stay ahead and it's no automatism in place to ensure this, but regarding (the OS itself and) OS release cycles, it's way ahead.
     
Person Man
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Northwest Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 03:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by andreas_g4 View Post
Comparing OS X and Windows OS-cycles with such a narrow view is ridiculous. Apple has a lot work to do to stay ahead and it's no automatism in place to ensure this, but regarding (the OS itself and) OS release cycles, it's way ahead.
His point was that the probablility of Vista sales being killed by the announcement of Windows 7 is as great as the probability that Tiger sales were killed by the announcement of Leopard. In other words, announcing Windows 7 early is not gonna kill Vista sales, just as announcing Leopard early did not kill Tiger sales.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 03:33 PM
 
Also, Vista sales are already in the toilet, so they might as well announce that they're actually going to *release* some of the worthwhile functionality initially slated for Longhorn before it became the castrated XP-plus-some that Vista is now.
     
Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Bellevue, WA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 04:03 PM
 
Could it be Windows 7 = Vista + improvement? Possibly, they just want to change the name.

For me, I'm the only one who use Vista business at work. WindowsXP is just *old* to me.
     
mduell
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 04:06 PM
 
Windows 7 hasn't really been announced... some of the kernel devs have shown off the new kernel at a few geek meetings and Gates mentioned that the external (MSDN) betas will start next year.

They'll probably get back to the 2-3 year pre-Vista cycle (95->98->2000->2002(XP) rather than the 5 year cycle for Vista, so late 2009-late 2010 is the expected release timeframe. Many of Vista's problems were driven by management and the head of the Windows group was just replaced with the head of the Office group (who lead Office 2007, which is fantastic, not like the poop 2008 is), so I'm expecting more out of Windows 7.

Hopefully I'll be able to get in the Windows 7 beta (I was in Vista beta, and that experience lead me to stick with XP!) and see how it is.
     
64stang06
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 05:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
His point was that the probablility of Vista sales being killed by the announcement of Windows 7 is as great as the probability that Tiger sales were killed by the announcement of Leopard. In other words, announcing Windows 7 early is not gonna kill Vista sales, just as announcing Leopard early did not kill Tiger sales.
Exactly, thank you for understanding my point.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3
     
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Copenhagen
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 06:04 PM
 
(I was in Vista beta, and that experience lead me to stick with XP!)
Everyone who’s bought a copy of Vista is in the Vista Beta testing group.
     
mduell
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 6, 2008, 10:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Everyone who’s bought a copy of Vista is in the Vista Beta testing group.
No more than any other .0 OS reslease; at least I didn't pay for it.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 07:27 AM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Whats the deal here? i dont follow the PC world, but apparently Vista is version 6.0 and they just announced Windows 7.0 ?!?! thats a heck of a lot of wasted marketing and dev. $$$ if you ask me, cause Vista has barely been on the market for 2 years. right ?.
And how is this different then Apple announcing a new version of OSX? Just because vista is out the door that they'd stop developing the next version of the OS.

From what I read, microsoft is trying to have an aggressive deadline for this version, but their track record is rather poor. I've not read any details about what the potential features could be, but if they fall into the similar trap of over promising things it will end up like vista. A bloated hog that's little different then windows xp, except for the ripped off OSX gui that is.
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 10:03 AM
 
Well Apple's OSX releases are admittedly evolutionary, incremental and cheaper(for a single package). With Windows, theyre bloated, pretty different from the ground up from the previous version and far more expensive.... not to mention the 6(?) different versions.

With OSX, Apple is exploiting the foundation laid back in 10.0, with Windows it's different APIs, filesystems, etc.... Oh and a lot more expensive. Seeing as how their major consumer base is the enterprise, i dont see seee how releasing different platforms so close to each other is good for business. imho.
     
Tomchu
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 03:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
with Windows it's different APIs, filesystems, etc....
Uh ... I'm sorry, but there's no other way to put this: Get your head out of your butt.
     
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 03:20 PM
 
I would say that they are simply upgrading Vista... and trying to get it on a more Mac like upgrade cycle. Apple's been able to cover so much ground using their current method.

Also, comparing Mac users to Windows users is foolish on many levels. I would argue that the XP to Vista upgrade offered few tantalizing reasons for end users to upgrade.
( Last edited by mitchell_pgh; Apr 7, 2008 at 03:31 PM. )
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 03:45 PM
 
Windows 7 is supposed to be the OS X of Windows. It's a ground-up rewrite of the NT kernel and is not binary compatible with NT 6. They'll be doing a Classic style implementation through Virtual PC for NT 6 & FAT binaries, and a Carbon style API for future Windows applications.

Who knows, it could be good. Microsoft doesn't have a great track record, though. Guess we'll see.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 03:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Windows 7 is supposed to be the OS X of Windows.
I thought that's what Win2K was.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 04:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I thought that's what Win2K was.
What, you're gonna get all persnickety whenever Microsoft decides to "OS X" its way out of a bad situation?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 04:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Windows 7 is supposed to be the OS X of Windows. It's a ground-up rewrite of the NT kernel and is not binary compatible with NT 6. .
I thought they rewrote the NT kernel in Vista?
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 04:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
Uh ... I'm sorry, but there's no other way to put this: Get your head out of your butt.
Well put, I was trying to figure out how best to respond to the remark about the APIs but you hit the head of the nail
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 04:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I thought they rewrote the NT kernel in Vista?
That was Longhorn, which was abandoned. Vista is an updated XP.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Tomchu
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 05:13 PM
 
There never has, and probably never will be a complete re-write of the NT kernel. The NT kernel is one of the few things in Windows NT that is solid, reliable, and well-engineered. Anyone who's heard of VMS will probably know of David Cutler ... David Cutler is the Linus Torvalds of VMS and NT.

For the record, Windows 2000 was NT 5.0, Windows XP was NT 5.1, and Windows Vista is NT 6.0. Windows 7 is just that -- NT 7.0.

And whoever said "not binary compatible" ... debatable. It's definitely time for Win32 to be put down, but any .NET binaries should and probably will run fine. Microsoft can't risk doing a complete overhaul, especially after telling (forcing?) everyone to move to .NET.

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
That was Longhorn, which was abandoned. Vista is an updated XP.
Wrong. Longhorn was the codename for Vista, and its internal stuff is largely based off of the Server 2003/XP64 code base.
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 11:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Well put, I was trying to figure out how best to respond to the remark about the APIs but you hit the head of the nail
jeeze..sorry for not getting all my facts straight. i guess Microsoft isnt as bad as a 'imagined'
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 7, 2008, 11:25 PM
 
fanboism shows its ugly head once again (not you hawk,. don't worry, you're cool)
     
ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: aurora
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2008, 01:41 AM
 
apple announced after Panther that it would be slowing down release
dates for their systems. This allowed people to switch when they were ready.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2008, 06:52 AM
 
Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell View Post
apple announced after Panther that it would be slowing down release dates for their systems.
This was also done, because the updates were becoming more complex and it was harder to maintain such an aggressive cycle. I also think, consumers would be protesting the need to plunk down 125 or so every year for a small number of changes. Now apple can implement a wider array of changes and make the upgrade a little more worthwhile and solid.
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 09:43 AM
 
Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
fanboism shows its ugly head once again (not you hawk,. don't worry, you're cool)
Oh, i'm a Mac fanboy to the max. THE MAX BABY

I have no shame in supporting a company which puts out amazing products.

Its starting to seem like Vista is the new Windows Me (as far as popularity and 'just wanting to move on' goes).

Cheers
     
PB2K
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 08:24 AM
 
time for microsoft to show what they are capable of
vista is a monster
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 08:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
time for microsoft to show what they are capable of
vista is a monster
I think they did show what they're capable of - with Vista.


or were thinking of the zune
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 01:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
Wrong. Longhorn was the codename for Vista, and its internal stuff is largely based off of the Server 2003/XP64 code base.
I had it backwards. The first iteration of Vista was a rewritten XP core. That was abandoned (along with WinFS and other features) and built on top of Server 2003 instead. There're a group of Longhorn fans who're trying to keep the original one going. I don't remember if they were forced to shut down or not.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 03:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
(who lead Office 2007, which is fantastic, not like the poop 2008 is), so I'm expecting more out of Windows 7.

Personally I hate Office 2007 also. Outlook is glacial compared to it's 2003 counterpart and it clutters my todo list with flagged e-mails. (Rendering the task list unusable.) So ... rolled that back to 2003 as well. Also: If I wanted to learn a whole new interface I might as well switch products, such as OpenOffice. What's the point?
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2008, 03:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
There never has, and probably never will be a complete re-write of the NT kernel. The NT kernel is one of the few things in Windows NT that is solid, reliable, and well-engineered. Anyone who's heard of VMS will probably know of David Cutler ... David Cutler is the Linus Torvalds of VMS and NT.

For the record, Windows 2000 was NT 5.0, Windows XP was NT 5.1, and Windows Vista is NT 6.0. Windows 7 is just that -- NT 7.0.

And whoever said "not binary compatible" ... debatable. It's definitely time for Win32 to be put down, but any .NET binaries should and probably will run fine. Microsoft can't risk doing a complete overhaul, especially after telling (forcing?) everyone to move to .NET.



Wrong. Longhorn was the codename for Vista, and its internal stuff is largely based off of the Server 2003/XP64 code base.
Well ... after they dropped back and started over it was based on the Server 2003/XP64 codebase. :-) Prior to that it was all new ... of course it also had "3 pillars" back then ... once the filesystem was dropped it became 2.

(For whatever reason I keep picturing Mel Brooks "history of the world part I" where Moses brought 15 commandments down from the mountain, then dropped one and broke it ... at which time it became 10 commandments.
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:00 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,