Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread

The Official MacNN COVID-19 Thread (Page 18)
Thread Tools
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2021, 08:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I know his mom, and she’s batshit. Like, “the government has turned the electrical wiring in my house into a listening device” batshit.


Edit: I should add that she isn’t some conspiracy theory person. Otherwise she’s normal, if a bit dumb. However she absolutely, positively will not budge from her position she’s being spied on with ultra-tech.
This must be a strange definition of "not some conspiracy theory person" that I'm hitherto unfamiliar with.

Is this a regional thing?
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2021, 08:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Because it was never about "I don't give a shit about Covid", it was always "I don't give a shit about YOU". You know, FREEDOMZ.

Which is why our right-wing #Covidiot Nazis were the first to cut in line when vaccinations became available.
The two dots I can connect with this person is they don’t care.

They don’t care about going to a maskless party.

They don’t care about committing what I understand to be a crime for negligible payoff.


I didn’t ask for more details because it was a tangent to the main discussion, which is whether I want to pull strings to cut in line.

The answer was no, but once I’m in a covered group, then the strings are a-pullin.

I’m a little screwed in that department since I’m 49, so I’ll have to wait until they drop to the 40-bracket, or September.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 8, 2021 at 09:37 PM. )
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2021, 08:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
This must be a strange definition of "not some conspiracy theory person" that I'm hitherto unfamiliar with.

Is this a regional thing?
The distinction I’m making is she believes in one, singular, totally batshit conspiracy, and then no others.

The vast majority of conspiracy theorists believe in multiple conspiracies. My guess is this person has some form of clinical psychosis. What it’s focused on is less relevant than the underlying condition.
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2021, 08:57 PM
 
You should tell her about those laser mics that can hear the sounds in a room by bouncing off plant leaves or crisp packets. No need to mess with the wiring.

They aren't getting to the 40+ group until September? I thought you guys were doing a million or more vaccines a day.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2021, 09:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You should tell her about those laser mics that can hear the sounds in a room by bouncing off plant leaves or crisp packets. No need to mess with the wiring.

They aren't getting to the 40+ group until September? I thought you guys were doing a million or more vaccines a day.
In September I’ll be 50, so it’ll either be then, or if the 40-bracket comes sooner. I assume it will, but I have to consider the worst case scenario.

With this woman, that’s the thing... IMO she’s truly batshit. She won’t accept the government is spying on her the normal way. She knows it’s the wiring because she hears them doing it through the wiring.

I’m telling you. This person is batshit. Like, for real.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2021, 10:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
The distinction I’m making is she believes in one, singular, totally batshit conspiracy, and then no others.

The vast majority of conspiracy theorists believe in multiple conspiracies. My guess is this person has some form of clinical psychosis. What it’s focused on is less relevant than the underlying condition.
Once you are susceptible to one conspiracy theory, you are easily susceptible to others because you already live in an information echo chamber and do not trust e. g. the CDC or other official sources. David French has a nice piece about it where he fathoms there are two pieces to the puzzle: one is the aforementioned belief in conspiracy theories, but the other is the lack of care for others. Particularly high is that mindset amongst white evangelicals (French is an evangelical) it seems, vaccine acceptance number are significantly higher among other Christian denominations and highest amongst atheists. For him as an evangelical, this seems particularly hurtful, and he posits that it does not suffice to provide people with better information (“science”), but they need to be made to care more about their fellow human beings.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2021, 10:05 PM
 
That’s one of the reasons I’m saying she doesn’t fit the profile of a normal conspiracy theorist. She isn’t otherwise susceptible to different conspiracy theories, most importantly the more plausible ones.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2021, 10:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
That’s one of the reasons I’m saying she doesn’t fit the profile of a normal conspiracy theorist. She isn’t otherwise susceptible to different conspiracy theories, most importantly the more plausible ones.
The sad thing is that even people who are otherwise very intelligent, well connected and (used to be) politically savvy have become susceptible. The parents of a friend of mine are a case-in-point. Her dad is former Cold War intelligence, he was stationed in Eastern Germany. He is golf buddies with people you have heard of from the news (from the intersection of intelligence and military). After his career in intelligence, he went into finance and was very successful. He calls his home “his compound”.

Apparently, he swallows everything Fox News serves up line, hook and sinker. It is that bad that his relationship to his kids is fraying. That's the one thing I still don't understand about Americans after all these years: while there is a segment of the population in any country that is susceptible, this is much, much more pronounced in the US, amongst conservatives especially. (Although there were quite a few liberal 9/11 Truthers when I was in Berkeley, too, so it is not unique to conservatives.) Topics like “skepticism” to the consensus on global climate change, wearing masks during a pandemic and vaccines, it all rhymes.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2021, 11:02 PM
 
Here’s my unified theory why so many conservatives seem out of their mind.

Take global warning. The actual conservative argument is “I don’t care”.

This argument isn’t particularly persuasive, even to a conservative.

So, they make shit up. This allows them to get the same result as not caring, but still consider themselves caring people. Other conservatives will so willingly carry water for this made-up shit because they instinctively know it serves their ends.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2021, 11:31 PM
 
If conservatives could be honest, both to others and themselves, the conservative global warming FAQ would look like this.

Q: Is global warming real?
A:Sure.

Q: Is it man-made?
A: You mean “person-made”, right? Sure.

Q: Do you “trust the science” to accurately depict how dangerous the threat is?
A: No.

Q: Why?
A: Because even scientists like to blow shit out of proportion. Blowing shit out of proportion sells. The most epistemologically pure scientist can’t escape the reality they’re selling something, and that good sales technique will be rewarded.

Q: How dangerous is global warning then?
A: That depends. For a first world, global superpower? Not much. People on the coasts might want to consider moving, but that’s up to them.

Q: Destroying the world isn’t dangerous?
A: See what I said about blowing things out of proportion? Humans are very resourceful. Nature has always been trying to kill us, and we kicked it’s ass so hard people don’t even remember what it was like to actually live in fear of it. We figured all those things out so well there are 7 billion of us. We can figure this one out, too, and without demanding we consume less resources.

Q: What about outside the first world.
A: That depends on whether the country in question buys our weapons.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 9, 2021 at 12:03 AM. )
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 12:33 AM
 
That tracks with my own opinions. I've long suspected they do believe global warming is happening, but are afraid compensating for it will:
• decrease standard of living. (untrue - electricity is here to stay)
• increase taxes (likely in short term, certain in long term)
• force restrictions upon freedom/habits. ie - incandescent bulbs not available in stores.

The price of gasoline will go up whenever the fossil fuel subsidies are removed. And go up further when taxes are added to subsidize EVs. Taxes in general will be required to cover faster utility & industry upgrades, and ultimately for carbon capture. Mother Nature cannot lower the existing CO2 level on human time scales, so we capture or give away real estate as the ice keeps melting.

Denial is easier than approving (or even discussing) the above details.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 12:52 AM
 
You could go back to the old MacNN Global Warming thread to track all of the stages of what conservative media would tell people to say. Twenty years ago, it straight up wasn't happening. The scientists were making errors in reading ice rings. "If it's called Global Warming, then why is it so cold?" Never mind that Exxon has had the evidence in hand since the '70s and '80s.

And as time went on and evidence built up to the point where a changing climate was undeniable, it was simply the result of natural cooling and warming cycles in the earth. These have happened thousands of times in the billions of years that the earth has been around, you're all idiots for trying to attribute natural events to what the earth is doing on its own.

Yet again, the world moves forward and scientific knowledge advances and we see significant changes to climate and weather patterns, more frequent extreme weather events, and rapid disappearance of ice caps. Now the conservative attacks have shifted to focusing on the solutions. "Electric cars are actually worse for the environment due to coal power and mining." "Wind and solar power caused all of those Texas blackouts." "Wind turbines are murdering birds."

Contrary to what conservatives believe about themselves, they don't stand firm in any one set of beliefs, they simply want to take one step back, and to prevent society from making any progress. Their views and outrage are designed and driven explicitly by conservative media and think tanks.

Remember how the fight for years and years and years was about gay marriage? As soon as the federal government finally figured that out, everyone IMMEDIATELY forgot about it and suddenly we had to deal with the TRANS BATHROOM PROBLEM that is ravaging our (white) women and daughters. People that 10 years ago were fighting tooth and nail for the Traditional Definition of Marriage now don't really care that gay people can get married, but for some reason they're frothing about the hoards of men that are apparently pretending to identify as trans women so that they can sneak into bathrooms and...take a shit next to someone's wife? I guess I don't see the play here, but apparently it's enough that politicians can send a couple virtue-signaling tweets about enacting bathroom laws and every God Fearing Red Blooded Alpha Male Real American will fall in line and support billions in tax cuts for corporations and the absolute annihilation of government corporate oversight.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 01:20 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Here’s my unified theory why so many conservatives seem out of their mind.
Oh boy, that’s bleak. I hope you are wrong — even though I am not saying you are.
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Take global warning. The actual conservative argument is “I don’t care”.

This argument isn’t particularly persuasive, even to a conservative.

So, they make shit up. This allows them to get the same result as not caring, but still consider themselves caring people. Other conservatives will so willingly carry water for this made-up shit because they instinctively know it serves their ends.
Although it seems many have started believing their own non-sense, and instead of people who just claim to hold this or that opinion, we get people who actually believe in it. (Just think of election interference.)

Do you have an idea why people are attracted to this kind of mindset? It seems pretty dystopian and amoral to me.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 04:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
they don't stand firm in any one set of beliefs
I posit they do, it’s just not at all what they’re saying. You kinda have to crack the code.

The discussion about global warming has very little to do with climate science, and everything to do with compassion.

What conservatives stand firm in their belief on is “I will not be greatly affected by this, and it is okay to lack compassion for those who are”.

I mostly stayed out of the global warming thread, but I can almost guarantee you none of the arguments conservatives made led them to this belief. It’s the other way around. They spit out whatever argument they felt best suited that belief at the moment, and it very well may have suited many of them to adopt arguments which let them weasel out of casting a hard light upon themselves.

I can likewise almost guarantee the liberals were doing the same thing. They spit out whatever argument best suits the belief “it is not okay to lack compassion for those who are”. Scientific evidence of potential suffering suits this belief, but doubtfully convinced any conservatives intent on not giving a shit.

Just as I’m sure the conservatives failed to convince the liberals they too should not give a shit.
     
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 05:35 AM
 
Conservative people tend towards rule following and conscientiousness.

Liberal people tend towards less contentiousness therefore less rule following.

Contentiousness is correlated to a low threshold for things that disgust you, which reinforces the rules following.

Higher thresholds for disgust allow people to tolerate wider views/opinions.

People are hard wired not to accept or even give brain time to things that disgust them.

Exposure to things lowers disgust which allows conservatives to eventually follow along on things such as gay marriage while remaining disgusted by wherever the leading edge is.

Mainstream media LOVES disgust as it provokes visceral reactions. Which are easy to cater for and manipulate.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!
     
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 05:51 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Take global warning. The actual conservative argument is “I don’t care”.

This argument isn’t particularly persuasive
I would say the global argument is pretty much "I don't care... enough" This applies across the spectrum with conservatives towards the lesser end but liberals still firmly on the spectrum.

The fact is virtually no one care enough. It's like belief in god. If you "really" believed in god then how you live day to day would be unacceptable to you.

I'm sure it's a human thing, we are just very poorly equipped by evolution to comprehend large scale long term events.

How far along the don't care enough spectrum you are will be the defining point of that your excuses are for not caring.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 06:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I would say the global argument is pretty much "I don't care... enough" This applies across the spectrum with conservatives towards the lesser end but liberals still firmly on the spectrum.
Although I still think it makes a difference whether you acknowledge the problem and don’t follow your ideals or deny the problem, which absolves you from having to do anything.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 10:12 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I posit they do, it’s just not at all what they’re saying. You kinda have to crack the code.
Yeah, something you said about Republicans a while back struck me. In everything they do, say, and defend, what they're really saying is, "I'm a team player." They don't realize they're doing this, but the machine that invents and proliferates conservative propaganda absolutely knows this and is continuing to investing millions (billions?) into exactly which buttons to push to continue to trigger this. Because with this investment they can get morally-righteous, strict evangelical Christians to elect and support (to the death!) a thrice-married, kids with three wives, porn star loving, Lolita-express-riding, foul, cruel, thieving, con man, and give him carte blanche permission to do whatever he wants. Because it's "my team." And he may be all of those things, but at least he's not [other team]!!
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 01:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Because with this investment they can get morally-righteous, strict evangelical Christians to elect and support (to the death!) a thrice-married, kids with three wives, porn star loving, Lolita-express-riding, foul, cruel, thieving, con man, and give him carte blanche permission to do whatever he wants. Because it's "my team." And he may be all of those things, but at least he's not [other team]!!
The “team player” is one aspect of conservatism which enables this, but there’s a bigger one.

Conservative morals are highly situational. Conservatives believe the ends justify the means. One can argue that runs counter to their religious proclivities, which is a correct observation, but that doesn’t register with them because they’re fine with situational morals.

I should add, just like the team player thing, most conservatives don’t realize they’re doing this.
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 06:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Here’s my unified theory why so many conservatives seem out of their mind.

Take global warning. The actual conservative argument is “I don’t care”.

This argument isn’t particularly persuasive, even to a conservative.

This lack of honesty is why I have always taken issue with those people who in a desperate effort to sound reasonable and above it all tell us to 'find common ground' and compromise. You can't make political compromises when one side is being dishonest. Knowingly dishonest with you and unknowingly with themselves at the same time.

Its really starting to feel like you can distill modern conservatism down to just fear and greed. And the fear is mostly fear of having less stuff/cash/power. Which just leaves greed.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
So, they make shit up. This allows them to get the same result as not caring, but still consider themselves caring people. Other conservatives will so willingly carry water for this made-up shit because they instinctively know it serves their ends.
I like the way you put that. There isn't enough discussion going on about the contradictory beliefs of so many conservatives and conspiracy theorists. Of particular note is the way that so many of them don't want to be thought of as racists, but they desperately, furiously want the right to be more racist without losing their jobs or whatever.


I've had fun recently telling the ones bitching about cancel culture that cancel culture is just a manifestation of one of their most cherished policies, the free market.
I've also been pondering why so many Americans hate the idea of socialist medicine but don't seem to realise that medical insurance is exactly the same thing with a middleman skimming extra cash off the top.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2021, 09:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Conservative morals are highly situational. Conservatives believe the ends justify the means.
While I agree with you, although like you wrote at the end of your post, I’d say many would deny this. McConnell is one prime example who knows full-well what he is doing — a real life Frank Underwood (not in the “willing to kill people sense”, obviously, just that convictions should not get in the way of ambition and power).
Originally Posted by subego View Post
One can argue that runs counter to their religious proclivities, which is a correct observation, but that doesn’t register with them because they’re fine with situational morals.
I have long suspected this ever since my baptism-by-fire that was the Clinton impeachment (the first time I followed American politics meticulously). I can’t think of the name off the top of my head, but there was a guy who literally wrote a book that character matters that later became a big Trump supporter. If you outlined this story to my younger self, I’d dismiss it, because it’d be too implausible and stupid.

That hypocrisy is particularly grating to people who were criticized for not having (any or a sufficient amount of) religious faith, and were being accused of “moral relativism”.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2021, 11:55 AM
 
My rehabilitation hospital has several patients from a relatively recent wave of COVID infections - probably somewhere around Thanksgiving and Christmas infection timing.

Firstly, some of these folks were not nearly as sick as what we’d seen for survivors last summer. But a couple of them were REALLY sick, in the “almost died a few times” category, and they took longer to get “less better” than others, as in still needing a lot of oxygen, going home with limited mobility, unable to manage all of their own self care, and so on...

Second, we’re still not seeing a clear cut correlation between how sick people get and known risk factors, but we’re getting some clarity a little bit at a time. For example, both obesity and diabetes are known risk factors, but is it the obesity itself, the bad blood sugar management itself, or secondary effects of these things - poor cardiovascular efficiency and/or micro vascular problems due to the effects of high glucose levels look more and more like they’re the culprits.

And since the acute hospitals (where people spend their time deciding if they’re going to die from this) are getting better at managing patients with COVID, we’re seeing some secondary effects as big challenges. For example, a pneumothorax (basically a rupture of the lung) is thought of as a rare thing to happen from most forms of pneumonia, but it isn’t nearly as rare with COVID...and it leads to longer time needing supplemental oxygen just because the lung has to heal.

What I’m seeing more of though, which is kind of troubling, is that people are surviving, but they’re winding up with subtle issues due to extended time with hypoxia - low blood oxygen levels which lead to brain issues. It’s a brain injury that affects executive functions, and these issues show up with mental slowness, poor memory, and difficulty with focus and attention. With 40-and 50-something patients, this could mean never going back to work and needing someone paying attention to them for safety for decades to come. Honestly, we haven’t been doing a good job taking care of elderly people who needed minding, so I’m really, really concerned that we’re going to have even more trouble with these “normal looking” people who now need to be reminded to finish dressing, or not to step out into traffic...

And finally, the “mah rights” idiots are coming out of the woodwork here. Since Mr. Abbot in his infinite adherence to money over people terminated the state mask mandate - just in time for Spring Break shenanigans and super-spreader events - there are folks being asses about masks. We’re sticking with curbside where available, and not going places pretty much at all. I’m not looking forward to having 20 year old patients who have gone from college sophomores to “special needs” because our idiot governor made his donors happier...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Thorzdad  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2021, 01:49 PM
 
That bit about the brain issues is freaking scary, Glenn. It sounds kind of like early-onset Alzheimers in a way. Not good.

Here in Indiana, we never had an actual mask mandate (the legislature made sure the governor knew they would cause all kinds of trouble for him if he tried). Just a bunch of platitudes about "personal responsibility" that none of the mah-freedumz crowd seemed to think applied them. So, it wasn't difficult to see people everywhere without masks. They'd wear them to get past door security in stores, but remove them as soon as they got in. Then there were the ones who thought they were making a political statement by wearing a mask below their nose. These people turned into two-year-olds but without the self-control.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
Reply With Quote
Mar 19, 2021, 08:08 AM
 
Looks like we’re already at the point where I can get one as a state resident (and a smoker), but I’d have to drive a hundred miles.


Link for any stealth Illinois residents and/or turtle:
https://covidvaccination.dph.illinois.gov/questionnaire
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 19, 2021, 12:35 PM
 
Just preregistered, looks like I can get it in april, via the state sites. Not sure how far I'd have to drive, but it won't be as much time as constantly refreshing CVS/WALGREENS/HANNAFORD sites looking for a spot.

https://vaccinesignup.mass.gov/
     
Thorzdad  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 19, 2021, 01:36 PM
 
Here in Indiana, there are also a handful of pharmacy chains doing vaccinations. At least at the one I got my first shot at, you go to their website, pick the store you want to go to, and register. They later text you when appointments open-up at that location, and you can choose a time. I got a time far sooner than the state site had times available for.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2021, 02:10 PM
 
It would be good if all big metro areas had some sort of consolidated availability list. My wife got hers because she happened to be on Facebook when our mayor posted that there were X number of doses available at a certain location. She jumped on the correct web site and got herself scheduled.

On the other hand, our son had to essentially haunt two or three sites to find available doses, first for his wife, then for him. Where I got mine in December/January (healthcare worker here), and my wife had her shots in the first half of February, our son will get his second shot next week some time.

Now the good part: per CDC guidance, two weeks after his second shot, we can start gathering with our son and daughter in law for more than just handing over presents or waving across the room.

On a somewhat related note, I’m soon going to be on the other side of the healthcare thing. I tore a hamstring (small but definite tear), and wound up learning just how bad off the hip on that side is... So next week I see an orthopedist, and about a week later I start PT to get that hamstring back on my side. With the increasing number of vaccinated folks in healthcare, this should be at least less claustrophobic, especially when doing PT.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Paco500
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Berkshire, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2021, 06:03 PM
 
Got my first shot on Friday. AstraZeneca. Felt a bit off all evening. Fine this AM.

Second shot in 12 weeks.
     
Thorzdad  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2021, 12:02 AM
 
12 weeks between shots? That seems extreme. The Moderna I’m getting are only 4 weeks apart..
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2021, 04:35 AM
 
Latest trials data suggests AstraZeneca gives maximum protection with a 12-week delay. Reaching 81% effectiveness. This does not factor in the 1/2-dose variation for the initial dose. Which is still being tested.
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2021, 05:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Got my first shot on Friday. AstraZeneca. Felt a bit off all evening. Fine this AM.

Second shot in 12 weeks.
I thought they were going to shorten it? Though that was before the 5 million doses from India got delayed.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Paco500
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Berkshire, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2021, 09:09 AM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I thought they were going to shorten it? Though that was before the 5 million doses from India got delayed.
I haven't really been paying attention, but when I got my shot, they did they would contacting me in about 11 weeks for next appointment. If that changes, I shall report back.
     
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2021, 12:22 PM
 
Yeah that missed delivery means they have paused 1st shots for April so they don't miss that 12 week window for those who already had number 1.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 22, 2021, 09:39 AM
 
From what I'm reading they may ask me if I meet the eligibility requirements or they may not even bother asking. Because of the flawed way that BMI works for tall people, I'm technically overweight so I meet the criteria for a pre-existing condition. I also work in manufacturing so I meet the criteria there. I may have to start checking the vaccine tracker sites to see if I can nab an appointment.
( Last edited by Laminar; Mar 24, 2021 at 08:08 AM. )
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2021, 08:08 AM
 
Grabbed an appointment over lunch break today. We'll see how this goes. Talked to my parents last night, my dad just got his second shot and my mom...has decided to wait? To see how the vaccine goes? Even though they had an event at the school she teaches at where everyone could get it? And she opted not to?
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2021, 09:46 AM
 
High-risk group. Still not eligible. :-/
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2021, 01:33 PM
 
Got poked an hour ago. No third arm growing out of my back yet but my 5G reception is incredible.
     
Thorzdad  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2021, 01:50 PM
 
Indiana's dropping age restrictions on vaccinations, and all limits on gatherings at the end of the month. I get my second poke this Tuesday.
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 24, 2021, 02:42 PM
 
Not eligible here yet. I've bookmarked my county schedule page, and check daily.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 25, 2021, 09:30 AM
 
Zombie vaccine life day 1: Minor arm soreness. Had a dream last night where Bill Gates told me to destroy America by drinking soy milk.
     
Thorzdad  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 25, 2021, 10:42 AM
 
That's just the CIA chips kicking-in. The dreams will fade and you'll become a drone, working for the New World Order™
     
Demonhood
Administrator
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Land of the Easily Amused
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 25, 2021, 11:40 AM
 
Got the first jab two weeks ago and I don't feel 656E676167696E672070726F746F636F6C20616C7068612E20 706C65617365207374616E646279 any different.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 25, 2021, 01:44 PM
 
CIA chips? I thought they were Bill Gates’ chips... Wow, what a let down!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Thorzdad  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 25, 2021, 04:39 PM
 
Well, the CIA works for Gates. Everyone knows that.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 26, 2021, 08:39 AM
 
Zombie vaccine life day 2: Arm soreness subsided. Was tired last night, fell asleep on couch cuddling with dog. 10/10 would recommend. Dreamt that I had to save someone that was stolen from a wedding party, but then apparently I had stolen the person and people were looking for me? Then I escaped into the city only to approach a crowd of people and spot a farmer that had produced a hybrid goat/boy and had shaved a swastika into its furry forehead.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 26, 2021, 09:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Zombie vaccine life day 2: Arm soreness subsided. Was tired last night, fell asleep on couch cuddling with dog. 10/10 would recommend. Dreamt that I had to save someone that was stolen from a wedding party, but then apparently I had stolen the person and people were looking for me? Then I escaped into the city only to approach a crowd of people and spot a farmer that had produced a hybrid goat/boy and had shaved a swastika into its furry forehead.
Swastikas on goats? Well, that checks out:

I was recently informed — in all seriousness — by a Q-follower that the term "Nazi" actually refers to "National Zionists", who are the Rothschild/Soros international cabal behind the Vatican/Fed/ECB conspiracy to chip us all and turn us into slaves of the Clinton/Hollywood Elite child traffickers and adrenochrome-junky blood drinkers.

He was adamant that these "National Zionists" (a.k.a. "Nazis") are NOT the "true Jews" and that his story was therefore not antisemitic and not just a re-hash of the pogroms of the past few centuries, including that of the National Socialists.

His version has the bonus of incorporating Gates and Oprah, so move over, Goat-Boy Hitler.
     
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 26, 2021, 11:27 AM
 
Sunday 10.40 Am first shot appointment. Properly looking forward to it. Should be the Phizer vaccine from the site I am booked into.
Looking forward to some excellent dreams after Laminars experience.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!
     
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UKland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 26, 2021, 11:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Q-follower
Have they STILL not given up on this then?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!
     
Thorzdad  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 26, 2021, 01:53 PM
 
Nope.
     
Thorzdad  (op)
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 30, 2021, 02:16 PM
 
Got my second shot today. The sensation of the Gates microchips flowing through my veins is incredible!
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,