Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Boinc 5.25

Boinc 5.25 (Page 2)
Andrew F
Jan 24, 2006, 08:39 PM

My previous message was about my G4 dual machine -- the 5.2.13 superbench menubar works fine on that machine (although not indicating the second processor status in the menu).

I've now tried the 5.2.13 superbench menubar on my G5 dual, and nothing works. The log is completely blank, and the projects show no progess. If I startup the standard 5.2.13 menubar, it works fine (although not indicating the second processor status in the menu).

Suggestions?

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2006, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew F
My previous message was about my G4 dual machine -- the 5.2.13 superbench menubar works fine on that machine (although not indicating the second processor status in the menu).

I've now tried the 5.2.13 superbench menubar on my G5 dual, and nothing works. The log is completely blank, and the projects show no progess. If I startup the standard 5.2.13 menubar, it works fine (although not indicating the second processor status in the menu).

Suggestions?
As I understand it, the superbenchers do not work to well on multiple projects. On CPDN they have no effect as credit is based on 'Trickles' returned to the server at a set value. The CPDN server, as some others also, can be slow to update stats, though current credit can be found on your account work unit. (Check the WU Status)

The B/M S/B not displaying certain information is the result of cutting back to the minimum some of the operations available in the full versions of BOINC, so as to reduce the overheads. The S/b Manager generates a higher level of Benchmarks than the Menubar. There is, so far as I can see, not a lot of +/- between the two, as project credits (except CPDN as above) is given as a consensus result of three or four users.

That said, and others please correct my impressionistic comments, I think you may have instalation problems, as you can run mac programs from pretty well anywhere on the system, you should go through your finder looking for multiple instalations, the lock file especially. Don't forget the screen saver folder and the library/reciepts folder. If you still have work in your projects, dry them out by selecting 'no new work' and then go through and remove everything BOINC. You can also check your permissions just to make a complete job. Reinstall BOINC and run again.

K.
( Last edited by Knightrider; Jan 25, 2006 at 02:51 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules