Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Time Machine initial backup speed

Time Machine initial backup speed
stirrell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2007, 09:59 AM

I know there are a lot of people using Time Machine so I wanted to ask about impressions on the time it should take for the initial backup. I have almost 80 gigs of information and set up Time Machine to back up to an external USB Lacie drive (500 gigs). I let it run overnight (so roughly 8 hours) and when I checked it this morning, it had gotten through 16 gigs. That seemed slow to me but I thought I'd ask people what their experience was. I am sure Time Machine does more than just copy the information, after all.

Thanks for any information!

OreoCookie
Dec 4, 2007, 10:16 AM

From the top of my head, I can think of two reasons:
(i) You've connected your harddrive as a slower 12 MBit/s device (roughly 1 MB/s). This may happen if (a) your Mac doesn't support USB 2.0 (which Mac do you have?), (b) you connect your harddrive via a USB 1.1 hub (e. g. the built-in hub of your old ACD, your Mac keyboard's hub or some old external hub) or (c) you're using your hd on a hub with another device that creates a lot of traffic.
(ii) You have lots and lots of small files which take longer to be copied.

In either case, it should be faster.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

stirrell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2007, 11:26 AM

Thank you for the response. I may have numbly connected the drive to my keyboard. I have a MacBook Pro 2.16 so it should support USB 2. I think that may have been the issue. Thank you for the heads-up!! I will try that and get back.

OreoCookie
Dec 4, 2007, 12:02 PM

Yes, your machine supports USB 2.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

stirrell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2007, 10:23 AM

I feel silly. Yes, I had plugged the drive into the keyboard. I attached it directly to the computer last night and Time Machine backed up properly and pretty quickly. So far, so good! Thanks for the help.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2007, 09:29 PM

So, anyone know why it'd be going slowly on a FireWire 400 disk? Mine has been going for 6 1/2 hours and has 13.7 GB done. I guess that's still faster than stirrell's, but it still seems awful slow for copying files. Anyone know what an average transfer rate is?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2007, 04:52 AM

That's way too long. Even with a cheap disk and/or bridge you should be getting north of 20MB/s with FW400. You're getting about 0.6 MB/s. Bad cable maybe? Have you tried swapping the FW cable? Or the FW port?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's way too long. Even with a cheap disk and/or bridge you should be getting north of 20MB/s with FW400. You're getting about 0.6 MB/s. Bad cable maybe? Have you tried swapping the FW cable? Or the FW port?
I didn't try either of those things. Wasn't sure TM'd be able to pick up where it left off if I interrupted it, so I just tried to ignore it, use my other Mac. After I posted, the average speed did change some. After 10 hours, it had done about 40 GB. Still slow. Anyway, it would be done now, except it's backing up a CD I forgot to eject.

The frustrating thing is that once I get back from "vacation", I'm going to buy a bigger backup drive, so I'm going to have to do this over. But I'll try swapping cables/ports then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules