Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where do you go for your news on the internet?

Where do you go for your news on the internet?
Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2012, 09:23 AM

I usually use CNN but I'm getting sick of it. More and more headlines just link to videos, which I can't watch at work. Looking for suggestions on a good news website.

I'm not really concerned whether it is considered "left-wing" or "right-wing" - I just want a good news website.

Also, where do you go for sports news? ESPN.com sucks. Their scores are behind all the time. Some games that were finished were showing the game as being in the bottom of the 2nd inning. Is SI.com better? Any other good sports websites for news, analysis, and scores?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2012, 09:34 AM

I usually use Google News as a jumping off point.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2012, 10:25 AM

Was the Mac NN lounge for a while.

Getting fed up of sites asking for subscribers or stuff that is behind a paywall.

BBC News isn't bad. Daily Telegraph also. Probably a bit too Europe-centric for you though.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2012, 10:28 AM

Are you me?

I use RSS all the time and always had CNN as my main news source.

Good god does CNN suck. Especially the RSS feed.

Half of the stories are complete garbage. Non-news or click-bait, or SEO nonsense, or moronic opinion pieces... and videos... more and more videos. 2/3 of the stories are videos.

And don't get me started about their Apple stories. They have at least one a day, and they always stink.

And on top of that, the RSS feed is total garbage. Stories repeat all the time. I'll have the same story about the VP debates pop into my feed 5 times in the same day, with slightly different headlines, or not. Just the same story, again.

The RSS feed also sucks for big news stories that are developing. A lot of time you won't get any sort of hit for the actual story, but you'll end up with random updates to the story. Did you know that the Colorado shooter was a college student? What shooting you say? You didn't here about it? Oh right, well, he was a college student. You got that part.

Anyway, I switched over to Reuters.

http://www.reuters.com/news

I like that the news stories are always text and I like that they are generally very short and to the point, without any fluff. If I want to read more about it, I can always look elsewhere. My main goal is to have every important news item at least float past my eyes.

I tried google news and found it to be too random and all over the place.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
That's what I like about it. For news discovery I want lots of churn.

It doesn't feel random to me at all. It's what the Internet gestalt cares about at that second.

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Are you me?
I use RSS all the time and always had CNN as my main news source.
Good god does CNN suck. Especially the RSS feed.
Half of the stories are complete garbage. Non-news or click-bait, or SEO nonsense, or moronic opinion pieces... and videos... more and more videos. 2/3 of the stories are videos.
And don't get me started about their Apple stories. They have at least one a day, and they always stink.
And on top of that, the RSS feed is total garbage. Stories repeat all the time. I'll have the same story about the VP debates pop into my feed 5 times in the same day, with slightly different headlines, or not. Just the same story, again.
The RSS feed also sucks for big news stories that are developing. A lot of time you won't get any sort of hit for the actual story, but you'll end up with random updates to the story. Did you know that the Colorado shooter was a college student? What shooting you say? You didn't here about it? Oh right, well, he was a college student. You got that part.
Anyway, I switched over to Reuters.
http://www.reuters.com/news
I like that the news stories are always text and I like that they are generally very short and to the point, without any fluff. If I want to read more about it, I can always look elsewhere. My main goal is to have every important news item at least float past my eyes.
Thanks. Reuters looks pretty good at first glance. I'll give it a go for a few days and see how I like it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
That's what I like about it. For news discovery I want lots of churn.
It doesn't feel random to me at all. It's what the Internet gestalt cares about at that second.
Have you considered trending topics on Twitter?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2012, 03:20 PM

I use Google news, for sports I also use Fox Sports Net (not the same as Fox news channel crap).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2012, 04:47 PM

I used to use WSJ before they started charging for EVERYTHING. F that.

Now I just use Google News and my coworkers. When something really major happens, everyone is talking about it, so I go off of that.

Although there was the Morgan Freeman death hoax, which my entire team fell for...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules