Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 21,5" iMac (Late 2013) good for Windows games?

21,5" iMac (Late 2013) good for Windows games?
HamSandwich
Dec 8, 2015, 01:23 PM

Hey,

the title says it all! I think about installing Windows on my iMac. Is it good for playing games? Is the graphics card a notebook graphics card? It would be cool to play some new games on it :-)

Greetings,
PeterParker

P
Dec 8, 2015, 02:07 PM

No, it is not good for gaming. Base version has integrated Intel graphics - admittedly the best one they have released yet - and the upgraded version has the mobile version of nVidias base 2012 graphics card, the 750M. Either is OK for mobile gaming, but that display is a 1080p res, which is too big. It will probably work, but at severely reduced settings. You will not get anywhere close to console quality graphics.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2015, 11:49 PM

It really depends on what you want to play. Slightly older titles like Dragon Age Origins (skip the "sequels", which are about as good as the Matrix sequels; two instances of complete crap following something utterly brilliant), Fallout 3 and NV, and Skyrim, will all run somewhere between "well" and "extremely well". On the other hand, I'm running FO4, The Witcher 3, Pcars and AC on a 650m, which is "about the same power" as the newer intel integrated chipsets, and that's much more hit and miss. Some newer games will run very well if you are simply willing to lower quality settings a lot. Other games, like FO4 and The Witcher 3 will require extensive "tweaking" (custom .ini files etc.) in order to get them to run well at all. (I've successfully gotten F04 to run on 2 GPUs significantly below the recommended requirements, but wow, it took hours and hours of work and research to get Windows to accept resolutions below those natively available in the drivers, and to then get the games to accept those resolutions.)

So, are you willing to twerk. I mean tweak? If so, then you may even be able to play 2015 games. If you aren't willing to do so, then stick to the prior generation of games; you'll still have access to a ton of fantastic games (plus, they will be cheaper.)

P
Dec 9, 2015, 04:34 AM

That's true, you can always play slightly older games. Anything made for the last generation of consoles will run - Skyrim is borderline in that I'm sure it can be made to run, but far from looking good.

650M is the same chip as 750M, just with slightly lower clock (and neither is anything close to the desktop 750, which is much more powerful).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules