Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > World Series...

World Series...
thirtyfootsmurf
Oct 14, 2000, 01:42 AM

Yeah, yeah I know that it hasn't statrted yet but who do you think will be in it? I just finished watching the Mariners lose again... *snif* I have a hunch that they will beat the Yanks though...
JMHO.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2000, 02:40 AM

i would be a very happy camper if the Yankees lost... never have liked the Yanks... everybody wants a 'subway series' here in NYC, not me...

M&M, Mets and Mariners!

Blobby
Oct 14, 2000, 06:02 AM

What world? What series?

bood69
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2000, 08:23 AM

I second wlonh's sentiment. Tired of seeing those damn Yanks win it every year.....the Mets are likable, a real scrappy bunch.

By the way, today when I was getting my tires changed I read a magazine called For Him that had an interesting article on the Mets teams of '86-'89. It was titled "Sex, Drugs, and Baseball."

That was one wild team.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2000, 08:28 AM

yeah i agree with Blobby... it is presumptuous to call it the World Series

thirtyfootsmurf  (op)
Oct 14, 2000, 01:48 PM

it is presumptuous to call it the World Series
yeah, why do they call it that??? It's not the world championships but, it is a series. The MLB confuses me.

Bockie
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2000, 06:18 PM

Bah...Go Mariners and Go Cardinals!!!
Of course the Series would be better if it were played in Atlanta.

[This message has been edited by Bockie (edited 10-14-2000).]
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

dante
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2000, 06:30 PM

yeah, why do they call it that??? It's not the world championships but, it is a series. The MLB confuses me.
Isn't it because you yanks think you ARE the world?

dante
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2000, 06:44 PM

Isn't it because you yanks think you ARE the world?

Gregg
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2000, 10:22 PM

What would be most facinating about a "subway series" is how much of the rest of the country would tune in. I wouldn't be surprised to see ratings off the charts in NYC, and a big snooze in the real world. Love those NYC-centric news casts. Big snow shuts down Wall Street, but if Minot gets clobbered, who cares? Don't get me wrong, I love New York. I'd live there if I could afford it, and could talk my wife into it. I love cities. But, there are other folks out here too....
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

jholmes
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2000, 11:13 PM

Yeah a subway seies would be good baseball, but I sure would like to see the Cards get in.

Why is it Bobby Valentine couldn't find his butt with both hands and a flashlight when he was managing the Rangers and now he's a genius? Same with Joe Torre - he was clueless when he had the Braves years back. It's amazing how smart a pitching staff can make a manager.

Wonder if we'll ever have October baseball in Texas? It's been 30 years and I'm starting to relate to the Red Sox and Cubbie fans.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

thirtyfootsmurf  (op)
Oct 14, 2000, 11:18 PM

Love those NYC-centric news casts.
Yeah, it's obvious Bob Costas wants the M's to lose. He makes me mad.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2000, 02:35 AM

I was really hoping for a Bay Area series(A's vs Giants) instead of a Subway series(Yankees vs Mets). My A's almost beat those damn Yankees. Oh well, we'll get them next year. Looks like I'll have to root for the winner of the the Mets vs. Cardinals series because I don't see the Mariners beating the Yanks. I mean if Roger Clemens can pitch a one-hit game and get 15 strikeouts, then Seattle has no chance.

[This message has been edited by Stogieman (edited 10-15-2000).]

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2000, 02:37 AM

I was really hoping for a Bay Area series(A's vs Giants) instead of a Subway series(Yankees vs Mets). My A's almost beat those damn Yankees. Oh well, we'll get them next year. Looks like I'll have to root for the winner of the the Mets vs. Cardinals series because I don't see the Mariners winning their series. I mean if Roger Clemens can pitch a one-hit game and get 15 strikeouts, then Seattle has no chance.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

simonjames
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2000, 05:42 AM

Hhhmmm - a 'world' series

I don't think Australia has a team entered in the competition - what other countries are represented?
this sig intentionally left blank

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2000, 10:15 AM

There are teams in Toronto (who has won 2 championships) and Montreal, so I guess it could be called the North American Series.

Anywhoo, I like the idea of a "Subway Series." It adds extra spice (and there was a San Fran-Bay Area series in '89: the earthquake one). In American team sports nowadays, any sort of 'dynasty' (i.e., repeat winners or three-peat) is becoming rarer and rarer. If the Yanks do win a third in a row, it'll probably the last time any team accomplishes it for some time (though perhaps the Lakers might do it in the NBA).

I'm always partial to the American League, though they've got to lose the desginated hitter.

Go Yanks.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2000, 03:16 PM

As soon as Cuba and the US get over it (ie Castro croaks) we'll see a Cubin MLB team. Count on it

Gregg
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2000, 05:30 PM

Mexico City might beat Havana into MLB. US and Castro will never get over it. But, Castro will die someday; happens to everyone.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2000, 08:22 PM

A Cuban team occurred to me. Can anyone imgaine Havana playing the Florida Marlins in Miami? I guess if Fidel es muerte it won't matter.

Bye and bye, the Mets are kicking the holy crap out of the Cards in the first inning!

simonjames
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2000, 05:22 AM

Thirtyfootsmurf - where is Sammamish WA? I am going to Perth (Westen Australia) next month and would love to get a picture of 'the big smurf'.

cheers

Simon

simonjames
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2000, 05:26 AM

Thirtyfootsmurf - where is Sammamish WA? I am going to Perth (Westen Australia) next month and would love to get a picture of 'the big smurf'.

cheers

Simon

thirtyfootsmurf  (op)
Oct 16, 2000, 11:06 AM

cheers

Simon
Well, it was part of Issaquah, Washington (about 30 min. east from Seattle) and then we broke off of them and called ourselves Sammamish. As for a picture of the 'big smurf', I would need to see if he's available. Busy schedules, photo shoots, and the like. I'll do everything within my power to try to get him to do an appearance say in Pike Place Market. I'll meet you there. Just look for a big (30 feet tall), blue smurf. you can't miss it.

------------------
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Mr.Fear
Oct 16, 2000, 04:23 PM

The name 'World Series' comes from a newspaper called the World that sponsored a series of games, originally a best of 9.

That doesn't change the fact that baseball sucks. Fortunately, the NFL is in full swing! Go Broncos!

Mr.F

Blobby
Oct 16, 2000, 09:14 PM

The name 'World Series' comes from a newspaper called the World that sponsored a series of games, originally a best of 9.
That's fairly interesting. Go Smurfs

DBursey
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2000, 10:05 AM

Good call Fear. I was trying to recall the details of that fact, having heard it a few years back when the Blue Jays were tearing up the american league.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2000, 11:24 PM

Holy Smoke! Justice just cracked a three-run homer! Yanks 6, Mets 4--bottom of 7. Subway Series--here we come!

thirtyfootsmurf  (op)
Oct 18, 2000, 10:37 AM

*bashes head against keyboard* Those damn Yankees!!!! I hate them all!! Yahhhhhh!!!! *does Hobbes flying door greeting (not supposed to be a greeting) on all those Yank fans* Anyways, GO METS!!!!

A random fact of trivia : David Justice has gone to the World Series every year of his career. Every team he's been on went to the World Series. Weird huh? I still hate him though...

------------------
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2000, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by thirtyfootsmurf:
A random fact of trivia: David Justice has gone to the World Series every year of his career. Every team he's been on went to the World Series.
Not quite true. Justice was a regular with the Braves from 1990 to '96 and the Indians from '97 until he was traded to the Yankees this season. He missed the Series in several years:

1990: Braves finish last in division. Reds beat A's in Series.
1993: Braves lose to Phillies in NLCS. Blue Jays beat Phillies in Series.
1998: Indians lose to Yankees in ALCS. Yankees beat Padres in Series.
1999: Indians lose to Red Sox in AL Division Series. Yankees beat Braves in World Series.

Also, there was no World Series in 1994, and Justice was out with a shoulder injury in 1996 when the Braves lost to the Yankees.

Still, an enviable record.

[This message has been edited by CaseCom (edited 10-18-2000).]

thirtyfootsmurf  (op)
Oct 18, 2000, 03:20 PM

oops. sorry. I guess i heard wrong from a friend. Thanks for the correction. I guess my own sig applies to me!!

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules