Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sharing user to user questions

Sharing user to user questions
anselm
Jan 1, 2009, 04:53 AM

Hi,

I want to organize the things I use the computer for with various user accounts.
In some cases I would like to be able to access data in one account`s user directory from another user account.
I have fast user switching turned on and I am also aware that I may have to log in to any user account whose data I want to access from another account at least once after starting the Mac (or don`t I?).

Nevertheless it doesn`t work like I want it to.
It looks like I have to manually repeat sharing each sub-folder within sub-folders in the user directories. That`s very bad because i constantly generate new sub-directories to keep my data organized.

More: I just tried sharing directories from a file vault protected user directory (just to explore the possibilities). The problem: I shared the folder being logged into the file vault protected account but when I switched to the administrator account the folder was not available.
Only when I additionally shared that folder being logged in as administrator it became available to the administrator.
To be precise here:
I shared the directory being logged in as the user that owns the directory. I was asked to identify as admin which I did and then shared it for the admin.
Back in the admin account the folder`s sharing info didn`t list the admin account.

Do I really have to manually share each sub-folder within directories that are already shared? That would pretty much make the feature unusable.

What about the necessity of having to setup sharing twice from the owner`s account AND the admin account?
A File Vault-related bug?

Another thing I don`t like: Directories which are not shared can still be browsed from other user accounts (no files but folder names are visible).
Only exception: File Vault protected user accounts.
Not a big problem but I would like to switch this off if possible.
( Last edited by anselm; Jan 1, 2009 at 05:04 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules