Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > My thoughts on Adobe Photoshop CS...

My thoughts on Adobe Photoshop CS...
iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 08:47 AM

Well, I just installed CS and I have to say, Adobe has tried to make the installer feel more OS X-like. I was hoping it used Apples Installer.app but it turns out they still use Installer VISE.

This might have been because of an upgrade, but I couldn't find an option in the installer to customize my install. I NEVER use ImageReady and would prefer it not to be installed, along with those Chinese fonts, again this might just be because I upgraded. First impressions of the app are that it seems a bit faster, the filters menu comes up quick and Gaussian Blur seems fast on big images.

Also, I think ALL text is now smoothed, even on the Adobe tabs. And there is also a new 'New Document' menu, which I think is a big step down. Over-all, the upgrade wasn't as big as say 5.0 to 6.0, maybe a 7.5, but certainly no 8.0. Oh and the file browser which I never used in 7.0, I will never use in 8.0. Its such a Windows port, the menu is on the top and its just ugh. I'll play with it some more.

sray
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2003, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Over-all, the upgrade wasn't as big as say 5.0 to 6.0, maybe a 7.5, but certainly no 8.0. Oh and the file browser which I never used in 7.0, I will never use in 8.0. Its such a Windows port, the menu is on the top and its just ugh. I'll play with it some more.
Whether or not you appreciate the huge difference between CS and 7.0 depends on what you do with Photoshop.

In my opinion it's a HUGE jump from 7.0 to CS because:

1) Core engine had to be rewritten to go from supporting 30kx30k pixel canvas to 300kx300k pixel canvas

2) 16bit support everywhere is absolutely huge if you have digital cameras that spit out everything in 16 bits. I can finally edit in 16 bits without getting a messed up histogram (more elbow room at either ends of the spectrum)

3) The new File Browser + Camera RAW built-in is a god-send. Previously, I had to use the crappy software from Nikon to edit my RAW files and then use another equally crappy software from Canon to edit my assistants canon RAW files. Now I can throw all the Nikon + Canon RAW files into one directory and edit them together. I can quickly flag the good stuff and pull them up and apply the same correction across multiple pictures. What a time saver (not to mention avoiding the aggravation of using buggy Nikon/Canon software)

4) Color Match feature means I can finally assure color consistency across multiple studio shots without having to manually fiddle with every picture

5) Live histograms and color filters allow me to work much more efficiently. The amount of time I save by watching the histograms while applying filters is a significant benefit

6) Gang up layers as comp sets means I don't have to create multiple versions of the same file to show to different people.

7) Videographers finally have non-square pixels to work on anamorphic images. No more changing the canvas around to see what it will look like. I can't believe we had to wait this long for this.

And these are just features that appeal to me. What about all the features I haven't even gotten too?

Seriously, this is the biggest jump in features for Photoshop ever. And with my NAPP coupon, the upgrade was only $109.
( Last edited by sray; Nov 1, 2003 at 12:36 PM. )

SoCal_BigFoot
Nov 1, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by sray:

4) Color Match feature means I can finally assure color consistency across multiple studio shots without having to manually fiddle with every picture
I'm afraid this might be much less serious feature you'd expect.
But there is another one which seems to be great - shadows and highlights adjustment,
created by the healing brush team.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 11:43 AM

i ordered mine from Studica.com
but it has not been "released yet by Adobe" for them for some reason...

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2003, 01:36 PM

how's the performance? any better? exporting for web any snappier?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2003, 02:06 PM

Are there still some sloppy carbonization effects like save panels that just pop up in the middle of the screen instead of sliding down the appropriate window?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

iOliverC  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 02:31 PM

Save panels appear in a dialog, not the standard sheet (I think).

I don't think Adobe have even touched the Save For Web panel, it seems just as slow.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Nov 1, 2003, 02:52 PM

I head a nasty rumor that it still doesn't support more then 2 Gigs of RAM which is a real bitch for us G5 owners who bought a ton of RAM and the top of the line system just for Photoshop.

"Hello, what have we here?

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 05:22 PM

I got it yesterday, and must say I'm quite impressed, the upgrade was worth it, but I can see why it might not be considered a full version update number.

I'm on a Pismo 400 running Panther, and the app just feels so smooth, haven't really pushed it yet, but just the responsiveness is very welcome.

Let me know if you'd like to see any screenshots.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2003, 06:01 PM

The main feature Adobe CS has for me is that it supports Unicode. Which is great!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 06:28 PM

Not sure if this was in 7, but in the save for web window, there's now an option for WBMP.

Yves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 06:38 PM

Can you please post some screenshots ?

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Yves:
Can you please post some screenshots ?
Here you go.

Yves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 08:11 PM

Thank you for the fast reply ! Great screenshots !

Worst. Episode. Ever.
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 08:30 PM

<off topic>

where did you get that awesome desktop picture?

</off topic>

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Worst. Episode. Ever.:
<off topic>

where did you get that awesome desktop picture?

</off topic>
Hi,

The one with the Panther X? I think it was done by I'm da MAc, in his Panther Pro theme.

Here's the link.

http://members.cox.net/damac519/themes.html

It's a cracker of an image.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 08:42 PM

Thank you for the fast reply ! Great screenshots !
No probs. let me know if you'd like to see anything specific.

Yves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 09:06 PM

Can you show some screenshots of the new histogram ? Do you have screenshots of imageready also ?
( Last edited by Yves; Nov 1, 2003 at 09:12 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the waterā€¦ of the Arabian Sea
Nov 1, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I head a nasty rumor that it still doesn't support more then 2 Gigs of RAM which is a real bitch for us G5 owners who bought a ton of RAM and the top of the line system just for Photoshop.
Well, it's still a big bonus to have extra memory.

Even if Photoshop can only use 2 GB, if you've got more, there is more available that Photoshop can use. ie. if you have 1.5 GB, Photoshop only gets about 1 GB, depending on what you having running. If you have 3 GB, Photoshop can have a full 2 GB.

But yeah, given the size of images these days, it's unfortunate that it is still limited to 2 GB, esp. Panther can support 4 GB per app.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Well, it's still a big bonus to have extra memory.

Even if Photoshop can only use 2 GB, if you've got more, there is more available that Photoshop can use. ie. if you have 1.5 GB, Photoshop only gets about 1 GB, depending on what you having running. If you have 3 GB, Photoshop can have a full 2 GB.

But yeah, given the size of images these days, it's unfortunate that it is still limited to 2 GB, esp. Panther can support 4 GB per app.
Ya I know but if I had 4 gigs and was using Photoshop all day I would be unhappy that it could only use half of it.

Sometime I only have photoshop running just so it can eat all the RAM it wants so things don't get painfully slow.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 08:52 AM

Can you show some screenshots of the new histogram ? Do you have screenshots of imageready also ?
Of course, no probs.
I'm not a big ImageReady user, but anything you'd like to see in particular, just let me know.

Cs is looking really good, especially on my lowly machine, it's cleaner, faster, and much more enjoyable to use so far. I remember using PS on OS (, it was fast, and so on, but now with Panther, and the fact that CS has a ton more new features, it's amazing how fast it is.

Yves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 09:26 AM

It's looking great ! Can you show me the lens blur filter and the Photomerge function in photoshop ?

Jadey
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 12:11 PM

I'm glad to hear it's faster, since that was my biggest complaint about Photoshop 7. The upgrade will be worth it for my office, since the designer is still stuck using OS 9 with Quark. We finally got fed up with Quark and decided not to buy the version 6 upgrade, but go with the Creative Suite (professional) and get InDesign instead. We're just waiting for one more new Mac to arrive before buying this software.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 05:00 PM

It's looking great ! Can you show me the lens blur filter and the Photomerge function in photoshop ?
The lens blur filter looks really good, not had much time to get to know the Photomerge function, but looks promising.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 05:24 PM

Does it still write to disk when you hide/show a layer? This is the most annoying thing.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the waterā€¦ of the Arabian Sea
Nov 2, 2003, 06:49 PM

Ya I know but if I had 4 gigs and was using Photoshop all day I would be unhappy that it could only use half of it.

Sometime I only have photoshop running just so it can eat all the RAM it wants so things don't get painfully slow.
Anybody try Photoshop 7 or CS with ramBunctious 2.0 yet? (It's a shareware OS X RAMdisk app.)

Using such a RAMdisk would be feasible if you had more than 5 GB RAM.

ie. A stock dual G5 2.0 with an extra 7 GB of RAM from a 3rd party would give you 7.5 GB total, which would be more than enough for a 3-4 GB RAMdisk for use as a scratch disk in Photochop.

$$$ though. 4x1 GB from Pricewatch is about $1250. Add another 4x512 MB and that would be another $350. Total ~$1600 for 6 GB RAM.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Nov 2, 2003 at 07:00 PM. )

Yves
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 08:16 PM

Can you show me the "how to" menus in the help menu ?

BKuchta
Nov 2, 2003, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by SoCal_BigFoot:
But there is another one which seems to be great - shadows and highlights adjustment,
created by the healing brush team.
That is a great feature, I ony wish they would have made it an adjustment layer!

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 03:38 PM

Hi all I got my copy from the fedex guy about 1/2 an hour ago, installed just fine.

I then opened a project I was working on, but when I went to print I couldnt select any printers when I went to page setup in PS CS!!??

I then tried the same thing in PS 7.0.1 and the project printed just fine!

Is anybody else having problems with printing in PS CS?

Oh by the way im in OS 10.3.
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 12:01 AM

Why would you need more than 2 gigs of ram for a 2D application like Photoshop?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by mishap:
If you ask then you obviously don't need it!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by mishap:
ok.... lets say you're doing a 10k x 10k (about 34" x 34" at 300dpi) poster with 10 layers, 16 bits (2 bytes) per channel (64 bits/pixel for CMYK):

10000 x 10000 x 10 x 8 = 8GB for JUST the image (no double buffering, for example)

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
ok.... lets say you're doing a 10k x 10k (about 34" x 34" at 300dpi) poster with 10 layers, 16 bits (2 bytes) per channel (64 bits/pixel for CMYK):

10000 x 10000 x 10 x 8 = 8GB for JUST the image (no double buffering, for example)
interesting... because i've designed 300 dpi posters in photoshop on my iBook 500 years ago with 365mb of ram... and i guess i survived ok.

but, hey, if you feel you can utilize it...more power to you.

i can see the uses in video or 3d, but i guess i can survive with 2gigs of ram in photoshop

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 02:23 AM

The more steps you do and more layers you make (i normally use about 50) the more scratch Photoshop needs to keep for all the undos. I Also crank my History to 50 levels.

More RAM, less scratch!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2003, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
how's the performance? any better? exporting for web any snappier?
I'd like to second these. How *is* the performance? Canvas scrolling (with spacebar), menus, etc. Snappy level increase at least a little?

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 08:27 AM

Can you show me the "how to" menus in the help menu ?
The links from the How To's go to the online help section in the web browser, nice.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I'd like to second these. How *is* the performance? Canvas scrolling (with spacebar), menus, etc. Snappy level increase at least a little?
Definitely, much more responsive now, and this is on a Pismo 400 with an *MB GFX card.
Much nicer to work in, but not sure how much of this is to do with Panther or CS.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
Does it still write to disk when you hide/show a layer? This is the most annoying thing.
Not sure, how do I go about finding out?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2003, 07:09 PM

Anyone having crashing when installing the whole suite under 10.3? My illustrator says it quits but it seems to install fine.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 07:28 PM

Anyone having crashing when installing the whole suite under 10.3? My illustrator says it quits but it seems to install fine.
Yup, me too, just before it asks for disc 2. If you look inside the Illustrator folder, the names of the various folders all end with a .localised, whereas the other apps don't have that in their folders; seems to run fine though.

I tried installing just Illustrator on its own but still crashed the installer.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2003, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
Not sure, how do I go about finding out?
1) new doc.
2) make a second layer.
3) put your head close enough to your computer so you can hear disc access (easy on say, a TiBook)
4) hide or show the second layer.

In Photoshop 7, this creates disk access. Why? Everything fits into RAM, and there is no undoable state to save. There's just no reason for it!

There are many other performance issues in Photoshop which really need a complete overhaul of their compositing system to fix. For example, use the polygon tool to create a triangle. Did you notice while positioning it that it was rendered as an aliased wireframe? Did you notice it consumed 100% of the CPU while you were holding the mouse button down? Why is that? Any current machine could easily render a live preview of a polygon with the chosen color and antialiasing etc, using next to 0% of the CPU, if they overhauled the compositing to take advantage of OpenGL/Quartz Extreme.

Same deal with e.g. Transform of selections. I don't want a chunky wireframe while I'm rotating, and a approximation of the actual graphic after a few seconds, I want the actual result (or at least a bilinearly interpolated approximation) AS I MANIPULATE IT.

Download Apple's WWDC OpenGL Compositor Lab from the ADC sample code site to see what I'm talking about.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
1) new doc.
2) make a second layer.
3) put your head close enough to your computer so you can hear disc access (easy on say, a TiBook)
4) hide or show the second layer.

In Photoshop 7, this creates disk access. Why? Everything fits into RAM, and there is no undoable state to save. There's just no reason for it!
My hd seemed to make noise when making the invisible layer back to being visible. No sound was made during the first hiding of the layer, only on the subsequent un-hiding of the layer.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 01:54 AM

is there any way to use command-h to hide the application like in photoshop 7?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2003, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
is there any way to use command-h to hide the application like in photoshop 7?
Crazy idea, look in the photoshop Menu. It is right there.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 02:08 AM

cool, i will try it out tomorrow at work. is it not in the preferences like in photoshop 7?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2003, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
cool, i will try it out tomorrow at work. is it not in the preferences like in photoshop 7?
Every app shows you what the command key equivalent is. It is not much different then you might think.

JLL
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2003, 04:37 AM

Crazy idea, look in the photoshop Menu. It is right there.
He's not asking about which shortcut hides PS, but how to use Cmd-H.

You need to go to Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
He's not asking about which shortcut hides PS, but how to use Cmd-H.

You need to go to Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts
exactly, thank you.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 03:59 PM

Are there any new interpolation algorithms, or are we stuck with Nearest neighbor, Bilinear and Bicubic?

I wouldn't want to shop for these separately and switch between apps

J

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 05:22 PM

Sort of:

* Nearest Neighbor for the fast but less precise method. This method is recommended for use with illustrations containing non-anti-aliased edges, to preserve hard edges and produce a smaller file. However, this method can result in jagged effects, which become apparent when distorting or scaling an image or performing multiple manipulations on a selection.
* Bilinear for a medium-quality method.
* Bicubic for the slow but more precise_method, resulting in the smoothest tonal gradations.
* Bicubic Smoother when you're enlarging images.
*Bicubic Sharper for reducing the size of an image. This method maintains the detail in a resampled image. It may, however, over-sharpen some areas of an image. In this case, try_using Bicubic.

No, there is no Lanzcos, a-spline, or other more advanced interpolation. Probably Adobe does not want to step on plug in developer's toes too much (more).

Forum Links
Forum Rules